A question for the harpers

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A question for the harpers

Post by Redwolf »

I'm having a bit of a problem with my left hand. Specifically, I'm having trouble with the fingernails of my left hand running into the still-vibrating strings when I place them, resulting in an unpleasant buzz. I think it's because I can't really see where I'm placing those fingers, and am perhaps unconsciously "touching" the strings first with the backs of my fingers as a reference. I can control it somewhat, if I slow way down, but as soon as I try to take the music up to tempo, I find myself doing it again. Any advice?

I'm still trying to locate a teacher in the area. So far I've emailed two and left a phone message for one, but no one is getting back to me. Very frustrating!

Other than this problem, I'm pretty happy with my progress over the past several months, but this is exactly the kind of problem that makes me wish I had a teacher who could SEE what I'm doing and give me some guidance.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Sorry, Redwold, but I can't help you with the string-buzzing problem. Like the guitar, which also has problems with string buzzes and squeeks, I expect that the problem will be resolved with practice when you no longer need to touch the strings to find out where they are. I think that with time you will know where they are.

I also want to mention that this last weekend I heard a couple of musicians from Minnesota that played at a craft fair in Indianapolis, IN. The woman played a small harp (Keltic?) that was strung with all metal strings. The bass strings were 18 karat gold (very expensive, no doubt), and the intermediate strings were silver. The harp sounded more like the strings of a steel string guitar than the harps that I have been used to hearing. The musician couple played the harp and citern, while their two teenage daughters did Irish step dancing to the music. It was very interesting and satisfying to see a family performing together. They looked like they were were having a great time. Naturally, being a space case, I don't remember their names.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

What fun! Yes, the classical Celtic harp was strung with wire, and many people still play wire-strung harps (I think someone here on C&F does, matter of fact, but I can't remember who). They have a lovely sound, don't they?

Redwolf
Big Time
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Big Time »

redwolf,

the technique used for stopping the buzzing is to place the palm of your hand on the buzzing strings before you actually place your fingers on the strings of the next chord you're going to do.

if you slap the strings, you get a nice synicipation effect, but keep it easy for now. Hope this works for you
Big Time
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Big Time wrote:redwolf,

the technique used for stopping the buzzing is to place the palm of your hand on the buzzing strings before you actually place your fingers on the strings of the next chord you're going to do.

if you slap the strings, you get a nice synicipation effect, but keep it easy for now. Hope this works for you
I can see that for chords, but this problem is arising with counter melodies, when I have to replace fingers on strings I've just played. For example, in "Scarborough Fair," in the left-hand accompaniment, one places the four fingers on D, E, F, and G; plays the D, E, and F; and replaces fingers 4, 3, and 2 on the samenotes before playing G with the thumb (1) and reversing the pattern. There's no time when the hand completely leaves the strings, and no break in the music (it just goes up those four notes and immediately back down again). That's when I tend to have problems with "running into" the still-vibrating strings with my nails.

Suddenly occurred to me that you may be thinking of the wire-strung harp, since that came up in the previous posts. My harp is a nylon-strung "neo-Celtic" harp.

Redwolf
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

No, my harp's nylon and carbon fibre strung. I noticed that it's your nails that are hitting the strings - solution: cut your nails. I've always told all the people i've taught that they must cut their nails.

This should help, but also, if you place your fingers on the 3 or 4 strings that you're going to play before you play them, it'll help too. Almost grip the strings, and this should lessen the buzzing too.

Good luck
Big Time
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Big Time wrote:No, my harp's nylon and carbon fibre strung. I noticed that it's your nails that are hitting the strings - solution: cut your nails. I've always told all the people i've taught that they must cut their nails.

This should help, but also, if you place your fingers on the 3 or 4 strings that you're going to play before you play them, it'll help too. Almost grip the strings, and this should lessen the buzzing too.

Good luck
It's the BACK of my nails that are hitting the strings, not the tips. And it's happening WHEN I place my fingers. Essentially, when I go to replace my fingers for the next sequence, the backs of my fingers (the hard nail part) is running into the strings next to the ones on which I'm placing.

I do keep my nails short...in fact, I check them every day before I practice.

Redwolf
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

i don't know what you should do, redwolf,

i've only had this problem when playing a harp where the strings are very close to each other.

from the picture of your harp, i don't imagine this is the case, it may just be a case of practice makes perfect? or close to it?

sorry i can't help more than that.
Big Time
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Big Time wrote:i don't know what you should do, redwolf,

i've only had this problem when playing a harp where the strings are very close to each other.

from the picture of your harp, i don't imagine this is the case, it may just be a case of practice makes perfect? or close to it?

sorry i can't help more than that.
Thanks for trying, anyway. I think it's one of those cases where I really need someone to SEE what I'm doing. I sure wish I could find a local teacher! So far I've left a phone message for one and email messages for two, but no one's getting back to me. It gets a bit frustrating.

Redwolf
smithand

Post by smithand »

You could try hitting the strings further down, about a third of the way up from the soundboard. This is a Welsh triple harp technique, and gives a slightly drier sound, but allows you to keep hitting the same strings with less buzzing.