flatpicking tunes--what tuning?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

flatpicking tunes--what tuning?

Post by tin tin »

What tuning(s) is/are recommended for flatpicking tunes on the guitar?
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I either use DADGAE or open D9 DADF#AE, I usually use the second, it is really easy for tunes based around the D arpeggio, and lots are. The first is only when I get sick of the first fret for Gnat.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Not that other tunings aren't used but if you're talking about flatpicking fiddle tunes usually it's standard tuning. There's a good magazine called Flatpicking Guitar that come with a cd (lots of tunes in tab and on the cd every 2 months) Also a good book is 'Russ Baremberg teaches 20 Bluegrass Guitar solos' It's thru Homespun Tapes but you may find it a bit cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I use standard tuning. Most of the Irish stuff I play is either D major or E dorian, so I capo on the second fret and play as in C major or D dorian. And, of course, B minor and A mixolydian also work capoed on 2, played as in A minor and G mixolydian.

Since I play mostly Bluegrass, I'm not interested in retuning my guitars back and forth. Since I already play lots of major and mixolydian fiddle tunes, as well as dorian songs, I don't have any adjusting to do for the Irish stuff. Bluegrass has tons of A major fiddle tunes, which also take the capo on 2, but I don't see many in ITM. (I never play fiddle tunes out of uncapoed D position. The only one I play out of uncapoed A is Cattle in the Cane, and that only because the B part is in Am.)

I have lots of flatpicking-related links on my web page, including a link to Flatpicking Guitar Magazine, which is a truly great resource, though it's mostly Bluegrass-oriented. There is a bit there on Gypsy, swing, and Celtic, from time to time.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Unless a tune calls for special open string effects like drones, I tend to go for standard tuning in fourths. Any other tuning that matches or compresses the intervals on the higher strings would be suitable, unless you want to make copious use of the two lowest strings in which case, DADGAD, drop D or double drop D would could be a bit awkward. (They are all fine for melody played on the top four or five strings.) Open D (D, A, D, F#, A, D) Open G (D, G, D, G, B, D) and related minor tunings are also fine.

Since I also play bouzouki tuned mainly in fifths, the extra stretch on the lower strings in drop D and DADGAD doesn't bother me much, but I'd only deviate from standard tuning on guitar if the tune really benefitted from the change in clear ways.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

My favorite tuning for flatpicking is CGCGCE, caped at the second fret to give DADADF#. I usually play accompaniment in DADGAD, which is ok for melody playing except for having to get all the way up to the ninth fret for the high B.