Fiddle shoulder rest: do I want one?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Fiddle shoulder rest: do I want one?

Post by brewerpaul »

What are the pros and cons of a shoulder rest for a fiddle? I used to use one of those velvet and foam ones, but found it to be a nuisance. Lately I've been playing without one at all. At a session this past weekend, all of the fiddlers had those wooden ones that clamp onto the fiddle. Do I need one?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Depends on you and your physiology, I think.

I'd like not to have to use one, but I can't hold the instrument comfortably without it. Long neck or low shoulders, I dunno which, but without a clip-on shoulder-rest to add extra 'height' to the fiddle, I struggle and don't do very well. I suppose the alternative for me would be a chin-rest standing about 2 inches proud of the tailpiece... which would likely look daft even if such things existed (and I'm not sure they do!).

If you can play it comfortably without a shoulder-rest, and you don't end up with aches and pains in yer neck or shoulder, then go for it, why not.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

GaryKelly wrote:
If you can play it comfortably without a shoulder-rest, and you don't end up with aches and pains in yer neck or shoulder, then go for it, why not.
This is my train of thought also. However, a shoulder rest will aid in keeping your fiddle in place... should that be problematic for you. I honestly feel that anything added to the fiddle (chin rests, shoulder rests, mics....) will mute the fiddle and its tone somewhat. That doesn't stop me from using all of the above however. :D
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The idea of playing a violin without a shoulder rest is an old idea, which in the light of our understanding of ergonomics and human anatomy should be replaced with the more modern idea of the need for a shoulder rest. I like the Wolf shoulder rests, which have a thick piece of foam rubber over a metal frame that is adjustable in height and pitch. To avoid disabling injuries caused by the clamping of the violin between the jaw and the shoulder with the neck muscles, shoulder rests are becomming more common, even in concert orchestras where convention has long been the guiding principle.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Are you afraid of being laughed at? If not, you might try what I did. I made a neck strap for mine. It was soft leather, a bit over an inch wide, with velcro at the ends, and a sort of buttonhole near the middle.

I took off the tailpiece, buttoned the strap onto the peg, and replaced the tailpiece. It might also be possible to just slide the strap under the tailpiece loop.

It's wonderful. You just put the strap around your neck and hook up the velcro.

You wouldn't believe how much tension drains away when you don't have to clench your fiddle between your chin and your hunched up shoulder. You don't even really have to press your chin against the chin rest, so your neck can be pretty much straight. I found that the lack of tension made fingering the strings much easier, too.

Another plus is that you can just let the fiddle hang down in front of you when you aren't playing (assuming that the velcro is firm). This can be handy when you need a free hand to move something like a microphone stand. It also means that it's almost impossible to drop the fiddle. (However, it can swing around, so you still have to pay attention to it.)

It doesn't hurt the tone at all, either. The only real problem is that it's not a traditional solution--like playing a tin whistle that's not made of tin. You know what I mean, Paul. :D I never let that kind of thing bother me--after all, I started out using a capo made from a U-bolt on the mandolin. (Had to use a small crescent wrench to put it on and take it off.) I even have a wooden whistle. Might be a problem for a sensitive type, though.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I just went through this- my $40 fiddle came with a chin rest and a very uncomfortable Resonans shoulder rest so I ditched the shoulder rest and ended up with a sore collar bone from gripping the thing so tightly. Went to Elderly's to see what they had and came home with a Playonair inflatable shoulder rest. It's easy to use and keeps the fiddle from slipping.
JS

Post by JS »

Gosh, I've tried a ton of these, most of the brands mentioned. I agree with Doug in liking the Wolf best; it's comfortable and has a wide range of adjustments. But I've never found one that always works well, and I still go back to not using one at all, at least off and on. What happens then isn't that I clamp down with the chin, but that I rely more on the left arm to support the fiddle--I'm aware that this is heresy, and not so good for tunes requiring much agility or any shifting, although perfectly workable for much of what I play, especially old-time. (But then I sometimes like the old-time method of holding the fiddle against the chest too--you hear things differently--but I don't find that it works at all for Irish tunes.)

When my kids were doing Suzuki, one of the teachers used to joke about the percussive effect of shoulder rests dropping to the floor during performances.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Bought a $20 Artino yesterday and so far, with only a little playing, I think I like it.
Got wood?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brewerpaul wrote:Bought a $20 Artino yesterday and so far, with only a little playing, I think I like it.
It can make a big difference. :thumbsup:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: I honestly feel that anything added to the fiddle (chin rests, shoulder rests, mics....) will mute the fiddle and its tone somewhat. That doesn't stop me from using all of the above however. :D
But I'd think your flannel shirt (or pirate blouse in your case JES,) would have as much muting effect as the shoulder rest.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

emmline wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: I honestly feel that anything added to the fiddle (chin rests, shoulder rests, mics....) will mute the fiddle and its tone somewhat. That doesn't stop me from using all of the above however. :D
But I'd think your flannel shirt (or pirate blouse in your case JES,) would have as much muting effect as the shoulder rest.
I almost think that the rest might improve sound. It supports the fiddle by only two places on the edge where there is less vibration anyway. When you rest the naked fiddle on your shoulder, it rests against the vibrating back, which might damp the sound.
Got wood?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I too would love not to use a rest, but my long neck won't allow it.

I'm still not entirely clear on how a rest actually works, and that might be why I still get cramps in my left elbow after sustained playing.

My understanding is that the rest acts as a pivot at the shoulder, with the weight of the head on the chinrest balancing the weight of the violin beyond the shoulder rest.

This should mean that you can let go completely with your left hand and have the fiddle sit there, comfortable and stable, indefinitely, not having to actively push down with your chin.

This doesn't seem to work perfectly for me, as I move about a fair bit when I'm playing. It's also quite possible I'm gripping the neck in my left hand unconsciously, causing the left arm tension. I never get any pain in my bow arm, no matter how much I play.

Getting the physical set up for playing right is key to being able to play without tension, and that's the key to opening up your playing so you really enjoy it to the full.

It's harder to get right (and reproduceable) with a fiddle than most instruments, I think.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing