About the fiddle

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Traveller

About the fiddle

Post by Traveller »

Hey everybody, i was hopin to go fishin for some information about the fiddle..
i play irish flute quite regularly, and am wondering just what is invovled in the process of learning the fiddle. i found one on folkmusician.com for about 240$, the deluxe fiddle package.
is it something that can be self-taught? if so, what is a good book for such? i've heard its one of the more challenging instruments out there.
so how involved of a process is this? i really would like to give it a go if i could. but i just need some info, so whatever ya got for me would be appreciated!
take care peoples
Evan
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutey1 »

I can't answer any of those questions, as I'm an Irish flute player as well. I was also going to ask about a good book to get down the basics. I'm going to be taking a class as well (in the spring hopefully), but there are some people that have been playing for a few months that I'd like to catch up to quickly. any recommendations? thanks!

Sara
JS

Post by JS »

Hey, folks --

I went the other way, from fiddle to flute. I think a search might turn up some earlier discussions about your question. I'd say it would be good to have at least a few lessons to get started--you have to learn a bit about tuning and taking care of the instrument, and although lots of fiddlers use unorthodox (from the classical point of view) playing positions, some coaching on how to hold both fiddle and bow could save you time and physical stress. (Since intonation follows your hand position, and since bowing is so important to the sound quality, you'll be spending a lot of time on these, early on.) If you could find a local fiddler to give you a few lessons or recommend someone who would, that would help a lot; it's a big advantage to have a teacher who likes trad music and understands how it is played. Alan Kaufman's "Beginning Old Time Fiddle" does cover many of the basics, but a good teacher should make things much easier, even with only the occasional lesson.

Best of luck. It's great fun.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

JS wrote:Hey, folks --

I went the other way, from fiddle to flute. I think a search might turn up some earlier discussions about your question. I'd say it would be good to have at least a few lessons to get started--you have to learn a bit about tuning and taking care of the instrument, and although lots of fiddlers use unorthodox (from the classical point of view) playing positions, some coaching on how to hold both fiddle and bow could save you time and physical stress. (Since intonation follows your hand position, and since bowing is so important to the sound quality, you'll be spending a lot of time on these, early on.) If you could find a local fiddler to give you a few lessons or recommend someone who would, that would help a lot; it's a big advantage to have a teacher who likes trad music and understands how it is played. Alan Kaufman's "Beginning Old Time Fiddle" does cover many of the basics, but a good teacher should make things much easier, even with only the occasional lesson.

Best of luck. It's great fun.
I'd go along with that bit of advice.

There is no such thing as "easy" when it comes to learning an instrument.

I am a huge believer in good bow technique. It is half the battle in itself.

Fingering is fingering in terms of the notes involved in the tune..the ornamentation and decoration is unique to the individual. No two fiddlers have the same size of finger, the same grip, the same body weight...all these things, and many more, contribute to the individual sound/style you get when you're playing.

Some of the greatest fiddle players out there defy every rule in the book in matters of stance and grip. Many other well known names have some bit of training in bow technique.

Get the bow under control and you are half way there..the other half is what will make you unique..for better or worse.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
JS

Post by JS »

I should have added that a teacher, or that local fiddler if you can find one, might be of real help in locating a good starter instrument and bow; fiddles are tricky to buy, so some good advice is going to be useful.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

a search of the forum didn't turn up anything for me about books... maybe I'm missing something.

I already know how to tune a fiddle, hold it, and hold the bow (my sister plays violin). and I will have a teacher once I start, but I will be in a class and 1) want to catch up to people that started earlier and 2) once I do catch up I probably won't have much trouble getting ahead. so I'd like a little extra help. I already know the style, I just need something to explain how to transfer those things to fiddle.

thanks

Sara
JS

Post by JS »

Sara --

I was responding mostly to the more general questions about self-teaching in the first post in this thread.

A quick look at Elderly Instruments' online catalog (www.elderly.com) turned up 12+ pages of fiddle instruction books, including Matt Cranitch's "The Irish Fiddle," which I've not used myself, but often heard recommended. Bet you could find something there, if not in a Boston area shop.
brianc

Post by brianc »

In my opinion, this book & CD is a must-have for learning on your own:

I would also include Kevin Burke's instructional videos.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

thanks! I'll look into getting Matt Cranitch's book.

cheers,
Sara
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

YUP!~YUP! good books indeed
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

Hi there!
Welcome to the fiddle world. I'd say that fiddle isn't more difficult to learn than any other instrument. Every instrument has its own difficulties.
It will help that you've played some kind of instrument before so you know what it's supposed to sound like.
It can be self-taught, but it will help you get started faster if you have a teacher or local fiddler to help you in the beginning.
They say that Matt Cranitch book is good, I haven't tried it myself. I use that Alan Kaufman book for oldtime fiddle that someone mentioned, it's a good one but maybe not if you want to learn Irish fiddling. There is one by Paul McNevin that I have, that is a good start for a beginner. But there are several Irish fiddle tutors out there.

You should try to find an old used fiddle instead of the cheap new ones. The new cheap fiddles usually sound really bad, while you can get a good fiddle for a good price if it's second hand. Ask everyone you know or in the music shops around you. And, it's good to bring a fiddler with you when you go to buy a fiddle, if you don't know a lot about fiddles already.

Good luck with everything and have fun!!!
Brother Steve rocks!
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

ennistraveler wrote:You should try to find an old used fiddle instead of the cheap new ones. The new cheap fiddles usually sound really bad, while you can get a good fiddle for a good price if it's second hand. Ask everyone you know or in the music shops around you. And, it's good to bring a fiddler with you when you go to buy a fiddle, if you don't know a lot about fiddles already.

I think I'm going to start out renting one. my sister may quit violin in the next few years (if not while she's in high school, the probably once she's done with it), and if so, I may just adopt her violin (and turn it into a fiddle). that would be the most convenient and it's a pretty nice instrument.

thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!

cheers,
Sara
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

flutey1 wrote:
ennistraveler wrote:You should try to find an old used fiddle instead of the cheap new ones. The new cheap fiddles usually sound really bad, while you can get a good fiddle for a good price if it's second hand. Ask everyone you know or in the music shops around you. And, it's good to bring a fiddler with you when you go to buy a fiddle, if you don't know a lot about fiddles already.

I think I'm going to start out renting one. my sister may quit violin in the next few years (if not while she's in high school, the probably once she's done with it), and if so, I may just adopt her violin (and turn it into a fiddle). that would be the most convenient and it's a pretty nice instrument.

thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!

cheers,
Sara
Sara, I know there are good sessions going on in Boston; it's a great centre for Irish music.

Get along to a few, and chat with the fiddlers there (during breaks). They'll be only too happy to recruit a new member to their ranks, and probably give you a few tips and ideas which are always easier to communicate in the flesh. You might even find a willing guide to steer you through the tricky first stages.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Is Frank Ferrel still in Boston? If you live near that area, talk to him. http://www.frankferrel.com/

He picked up my bow one time to try it out and said, "nice bow" I always
tell my students that if they buy a $200 violin to buy a $400 bow."

He thought the real secret to learning fiddle was in a good bow.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

Martin Milner wrote:Sara, I know there are good sessions going on in Boston; it's a great centre for Irish music.

Get along to a few, and chat with the fiddlers there (during breaks). They'll be only too happy to recruit a new member to their ranks, and probably give you a few tips and ideas which are always easier to communicate in the flesh. You might even find a willing guide to steer you through the tricky first stages.
yep, I go to one or two sessions a week, depending on how much I'm working. at some point I will have a fiddle teacher, at this point I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible from different people.
Lorenzo wrote:Is Frank Ferrel still in Boston?
Frank Ferrel's mailing address on his website is Bath, Maine... so no, I guess he's not in Boston :wink:

cheers,
Sara :)