How have your tastes changed?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How have your tastes changed?

Post by chas »

I was thinking about this during a long run the other day. It was mostly in the context of music -- someone once told me that most people's taste in music is pretty much set by the age of 20 or 25. Even to the point that most don't really listen to much new, not just to not much that's new in style. But on this run, I was listening to Blondie. I hated Blondie when I was younger, now I've got all the albums they made before they broke up, and love just about every minute of it. I listened to just a bit of ITM (Clancy Bros and Tommy Makem, a little Planxty) when I was young, love it now. I like a lot of 20th century orchestral music, which I didn't really pick up till my mid-30's. And so on.

My taste in food is completely different from when I was young. I don't think this is really unusual, except possibly in extent. I grew up on meat and potatoes and was downright suspicious of anything else. I couldn't stomach onions or tomatoes, both of which I love now. I don't think we have potatoes much more than once or twice a month now. I cook stuff from around the world now, most of which has onions at its core. Have to go back to meat and potatoes when the parents or in-laws visit.

Of course, my taste in books has gone through many phases. I read mostly SF, mixed in with classics, till probably 30. Then it was almost all classic, now it's mostly YA fantasy with classics.

What are anyone else's experiences? Especially wrt music?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
trill

Re: How have your tastes changed?

Post by trill »

After fooling around with music for 15 years . . . playing at jams, dances, and invite-groups, my hat goes off to Lawrence Welk.

My observation is that: getting the tune "right" and "at tempo" is a tall order for us amateurs.

When I listen to the Lawrence Welk show, what strikes me is that those musicians are pros. There's never a note out of place. There's melody, harmony, and rhythm. It's beautiful.

Laugh if you want, but I admire George Cates. He was their arranger.

It's obvious . . . those musicians devoted their lives to music.

I wish I had a few lifetimes to spare. . . so I could play like that. . .

trill
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

Back in 67 my favorite band was Ultimate Spinach. 48 years later I still dig em... When I like something its forever... Trill, Welks guys were top notch pro's. But they murdered the music. I blame Well, not his band... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

trill wrote:When I listen to the Lawrence Welk show, what strikes me is that those musicians are pros. There's never a note out of place. There's melody, harmony, and rhythm. It's beautiful.
Grandpap liked The Lawrence Welk show and we watched it with him as kids. My wife is not so much a fan of The Larry Show. It's on public TV here on Saturdays. I agree with your assessment but I have to admit it's not meant for everyone and I must say too, not all songs are meant for The Larry Show. What were they thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ha! Mutie beat me to it. That was the epic fail of all LW segments. "A modern-a spiritual-a by Gail-a and-a Dale-a." Priceless. You know heads rolled after that one hit the airwaves.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

chas wrote:Even to the point that most don't really listen to much new, not just to not much that's new in style.
Occasionally, I run across new music that absolutely stuns me by the beauty. I just wish that I had more opportunity to hear new music that had the potential to be to my liking. Over the years, Nickel Creek, Amy Winehouse, Norah Jones, and The Avett Brothers come to mind. The Crash Test Dummies were so beautiful, I bought the sheet music.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

My changes in taste are pretty much confined to clothes and food. I don't like raw celery and bananas any more. There's something toxic-tasting in them that I've become unable to ignore.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote:I agree with your assessment but I have to admit it's not meant for everyone and I must say too, not all songs are meant for The Larry Show. What were they thinking.
I must say that I have only seen it a handful of times one of which had Miriam Makeba Singing "Pata, Pata". I don't know if she was mainstream at the time, but I was thinking that is seemed to have a larger variety than anything recent. Then, the Muppets seemed to have everything from Alice Cooper to theme music from Italian Docudrama as their music, so maybe things are just a lot more sterilized these days for the masses.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas

Post by chas »

robert schuler wrote:Back in 67 my favorite band was Ultimate Spinach. 48 years later I still dig em... When I like something its forever... Trill, Welks guys were top notch pro's. But they murdered the music. I blame Well, not his band... Bob.
A lot of my childhood faves have been constants. Around the time I graduated from high school, my favorite bands were (off the top of my head) Steppenwolf, Renaissance, Steeleye Span, Frank Zappa, and Gentle Giant. These are all regulars in my CD changer and iPod.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Bob Dylan is on the cover of the new AARP magazine. I don't need this @#$%.
白飞梦
trill

Post by trill »

mutepointe wrote:Bob Dylan is on the cover of the new AARP magazine. I don't need this @#$%.
LOL !
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Shoulda been on there a while back, if you ask me.
walrii

Post by walrii »

mutepointe wrote:
trill wrote:When I listen to the Lawrence Welk show, what strikes me is that those musicians are pros. There's never a note out of place. There's melody, harmony, and rhythm. It's beautiful.
Grandpap liked The Lawrence Welk show and we watched it with him as kids. My wife is not so much a fan of The Larry Show. It's on public TV here on Saturdays. I agree with your assessment but I have to admit it's not meant for everyone and I must say too, not all songs are meant for The Larry Show. What were they thinking.

My folks aren't into LW so I missed that episode. Gawd that water was cold when it sprayed out my nose!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
chas

Post by chas »

walrii wrote:
mutepointe wrote:

My folks aren't into LW so I missed that episode. Gawd that water was cold when it sprayed out my nose!
Remember in the 70's when grownups first discovered FM radio, and there was this proliferation of stations that played "Beautiful Music"? My folks listened to one of those stations, and damned if one day I don't hear 50 violins and a group of women and emasculated men singing "Purple haze or is it my brain. . ." I was pretty young, but even I knew there was something hilariously wrong with that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
cat

Post by cat »

Good grief yes

Oops, I see it's "HOW" have our tastes changed... So many ways, but for one - I'm playing instruments that I never would have expected - accordion, harp , hammered dulcimer...banjo! :oops: