Survey: Watches

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you know what time it is?

Wristwatch, analog
47%
Wristwatch, digital
13%
Pocket watch
No votes
Mobile phone
38%
Sundial/hourglass/clepsydra
No votes
Coffee spoons
No votes
Does anybody really know what time it is?
3%

Total votes: 32

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Survey: Watches

Post by MTGuru »

Does anybody really care?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cab_XlnJZjc#t=174

The last option above can be considered as "None" (no watch). :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Survey: Watches

Post by kkrell »

The clock on the wall says it's time to go.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Mobile phone is the new pocket watch, IMO. Once I realized that, I took off the wristwatch. (I just need to get my phone a gold chain, so that I can feel steampunk about it.)

Also, continuing the references: Time? What is time?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:The clock on the wall says it's time to go.
C'mon, Kev, that needs a link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo8j2ameTS0

Or maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkmN3O852PU

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru wrote:
kkrell wrote:The clock on the wall says it's time to go.
C'mon, Kev, that needs a link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo8j2ameTS0

Or maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkmN3O852PU
Sam Cooke seems to still be the best version of that song (lyric at about 0:53)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Michael Marra's Tobermory Clock...

Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDNmd9abWzg
Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRQUlwgLNU

Wristwatch for me, currently analogue but sometimes digital/GPS/altimeter on the hills or none at all in the house (plenty clocks) or out running locally (know how I'm doing and no longer chasing best times).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

I haven't worn a watch in 45 years, but I still look at my left wrist when someone asks me the time.

Who knows where the time goes? Probably somewhere with socks.

Always a favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ycaoV0WXfk
maki

Post by maki »

Casio G Shocks for me for the last three decades.
Cell phones are fragile and dangerous creatures unsuitable to my work environment.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Left the military 20 some odd years ago and left the wristwatch behind too. I don't worry about time and I take my time.

Here's how I do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAm4nHFOir0
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Analog wristwatch. It was a gift, otherwise I wouldn't wear one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Nanohedron wrote:Analog wristwatch. It was a gift, otherwise I wouldn't wear one.
Snap - exactly the same here.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I haven't worn a wristwatch since I was about 15. Around that time, I discovered that the awful rash that went up my left arm was caused by wearing a wristwatch. I tried a number of straps of different materials - white metal (dreadful), kind of webbing type tape (not good) and even leather. Nothing stopped the rash. So I used a pocket watch for many years. The advent of the mobile phone era is a Godsend for me.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

With a few exceptions and variations I have worn this type of timex my entire life. Indigo rules. My watch is set to NPR time. My computer is my other go to time. Our appliances are set to meaningless times because we regularly pop breakers. This annoys company.

http://www.timex.com/sites/default/files/T2H451_0.jpg

[ Yipes, that image ate my computer screen. - Mod ]
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

On weekends I sometimes leave my watch (analog) off, but working in the OR I need the time constantly. Yes, there are clocks all over the place but for some reason they are not all synchronized. We have some really high tech surgical instruments, but they can't get a simple clock right. Sometimes I'm in a spo t where my view of a clock is obstructed anyway.
I don't get the whole phone as watch thing. Yeah, mine is always in my pocket, but it's so much easier to just look at my wrist.
For what it's worth, a lot of people I know who are habitually late are the same folks who use their phones instead of watches.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Back in 1981, Texas Instruments held a blow-out sale on all their digital watches. These were premium high-tech gadgets at the time, and quite expensive. For the next 30 years I wore digital watches, mostly Timex and Casio.

Then a few years ago I switched back to analog watches, and I'm happy I did. I seldom use the timer functions. And there's nothing as fast and intuitive as glancing at a watch dial on your wrist. Plus, it's my act of passive-aggressive rebellion against the increasingly relentless digitization of every aspect of our lives.

At the age of five I received a Hopalong Cassidy watch as a reward for learning to tell time. And I haven't been without a wristwatch since. Not necessarily that watch :-), though I still do have it ("Hoppy says it's three o'clock!"). Favorites are a fancy dress Wittnaur and a BMW Breitling (BMW = Big Motherf**ing Watch) of high school vintage, both mechanical autowinders. Like Mutey, I also like the Timex Indiglos - Weekender or Expedition; simple and practical. A very nice Chinese semi-knockoff of a Swiss Army pocket watch rounds off the usual kit.

To me, it's not just practical. Strapping on a watch is a symbolic act of transition from the world inside my own head to the outer world of standardized time, appointments, etc. A do-everything phone that blurs the boundary between private and public space is not the same thing at all.