Lock this if you like.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Lock this if you like.

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I'll never forgive Nano for banning me, just because of the traditional noodle incident. And it wasn't even my fault.
Wait...what? I don't remember it, but if I banned you, what are you doing here? :really:
This is sort of like the time Bob Newhart woke up in bed next to Suzanne Pleshette.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I'll never forgive Nano for banning me, just because of the traditional noodle incident. And it wasn't even my fault.
Wait...what? I don't remember it, but if I banned you, what are you doing here? :really:
This is sort of like the time Bob Newhart woke up in bed next to Suzanne Pleshette.
It's a good thing I'd just swallowed my coffee.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nano, I think you should wear more sweaters.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I am sick to death of sweaters. Minnesota has been in the grip of long and unusually bone-breaking cold, and I just want to shed all my dreary wraps and run free and naked down the street, dappled in sunlight and accosting squirrels.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Brus

Post by Brus »

Ben Steen wrote: Obviously 'traditional' perspectives are bound to be suspect in the information age.
Why? Why any more so than in the space age or the jet age or the jazz age or the steam train age?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Brus wrote:
Ben Steen wrote: Obviously 'traditional' perspectives are bound to be suspect in the information age.
Why? Why any more so than in the space age or the jet age or the jazz age or the steam train age?
Perhaps because in non-information ages, you had to be where the handing-down happened, you had to be part of the tradition in order to have access to it. In the information age, on the other hand, it's easy to have access to the substance of the tradition without being part of it. Like you can find music for all these traditional tunes on the web and imagine you are playing Irish traditional music, when really you aren't.

Just a guess.

(And so long, friends.)
/Bloomfield
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Ben Steen »

Brus, I'm not saying any age is at odds with tradition. Personally I think a vital, living tradition keeps an ear to what's happening around it. Though w/exponential expansion of the rapidity w/which information is spread it can result in unresolved tension(s), lots of Tweets & subsequently tradition is an easy mark.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I don't care what anyone says, Fusilli Bucati Corti is a modern corruption and has no place in a true Italian restaurant.
emmline

Post by emmline »

:wink:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Bloomfield wrote: Perhaps because in non-information ages, you had to be where the handing-down happened, you had to be part of the tradition in order to have access to it. In the information age, on the other hand, it's easy to have access to the substance of the tradition without being part of it. Like you can find music for all these traditional tunes on the web and imagine you are playing Irish traditional music, when really you aren't.

Just a guess.

(And so long, friends.)
Good theory, old chap. But I think the real problem is called "The English Concertina", the source of all trouble, online and offline!
Ben Steen

Post by Ben Steen »

"Frankly, I am ok with anyone telling me how he/she feels. I would accept honesty and respond with honesty."

:party:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ben Steen wrote:"Frankly, I am ok with anyone telling me how he/she feels. I would accept honesty and respond with honesty."

:party:
Isn't that what results in "a frank and honest exchange of opinions"?

In other words, a stand-up screaming-match, or worse... :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Ben Steen

Post by Ben Steen »

Open, shared (& self) honesty works very well for me & I feel I can relate with Emily's experience (w/honesty); as she shares it in her blog.

Though, as Innocent Bystander points out, there is a vast universe of experiences & we each have our individual ways of getting through it;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWP_lGWYV4