If you didn't like Rebecca Black's "Friday" ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

If you didn't like Rebecca Black's "Friday" ...

Post by Brus »

... you're really really not going to like Patrice Wilson's latest ... uh ... hit:

Alison Gold - Chinese Food

:o

:boggle:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: If you didn't like Rebecca Black's "Friday" ...

Post by Nanohedron »

This is a hit??

W, as they say, TF.

You know, it'd be brilliant if someone like Snoop Dogg did it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

"After balling I go clubbing ..."

Uh, say what?!? :o
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brus

Post by Brus »

MTGuru wrote: Uh, say what?!? :o
That's about what I was saying every five seconds when I watched it.

Is Patrice Wilson now doing Patrice Wilson parodies? That's the only explanation.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, one thing: it really does make Rebecca Black's Friday look good.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:This is a hit??

W, as they say, TF.

You know, it'd be brilliant if someone like Snoop Dogg did it.
Yep, Snoop's cover of Gin and Juice was brilliant.

The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Snoop Dogg-Gin and Juice

As for the "Chinese Food" video, just remember that it is the people at Ark Music Factory, not Alison Gold that bears the responsibility. With the amount of processing and auto tune I heard in the 15 seconds I could to listen to, the young female seems to be nothing more than a puppet. For some reason it just seems like exploitation.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Brus wrote:Is Patrice Wilson now doing Patrice Wilson parodies? That's the only explanation.
Yeah, that ship already sailed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l8wZbqTww0

And he can't even do that well.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

So I just went to the tubes of you and searched for all the Ark Music vids.
I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to exploit. Yikes.

This video is a little creepy in a Jon-Bonet sort of way, but she seems to need the autotune way less than most in the Ark stables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-1BYFBngs
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:...the young female seems to be nothing more than a puppet. For some reason it just seems like exploitation.
MTGuru wrote:"After balling I go clubbing ..."

Uh, say what?!? :o
Yeah, I wonder what Mumsey and Da have to say about that. Maybe "Whatever rakes in the bucks...".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote:"After balling I go clubbing ..."
Isn't it "After bawling I go clubbing ..."
Nothin' gets me out of a deep sorrow better than getting some seal pelts.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, the only other really viable vernacular interpretation for "balling" other than bumping uglies is "being exceedingly hip or cool". But in that case it's usually an adjective, not a verb as such. You know, like your life can be simply smashing, but it doesn't smash in that sense. Somebody's gotta tell this girl that being cool isn't something you do in installments. If you're cool, you're cool 24/7. There's no shutoff. Take it from someone who knows.
Brus

Post by Brus »

I.D.10-t wrote:Nothin' gets me out of a deep sorrow better than getting some seal pelts.
Or panda pelts. :D
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, the only other really viable vernacular interpretation for "balling" other than bumping uglies is "being exceedingly hip or cool".
Or maybe playing Basketball?
Nanohedron wrote:But in that case it's usually an adjective, not a verb as such.
Strange, growing up "bawling their head off" was a common expression, and that would seem to fit my use.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Well, the only other really viable vernacular interpretation for "balling" other than bumping uglies is "being exceedingly hip or cool".
Or maybe playing Basketball?
Hmm. Maybe. She didn't strike me as credibly one for the hoops, but you never know.
I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:But in that case it's usually an adjective, not a verb as such.
Strange, growing up "bawling their head off" was a common expression, and that would seem to fit my use.
But there the spelling and meaning are different, and the expression is customarily idiomatic to them specifically. So, either the lyrics carry a typo and she's been crying, or she's singing about (probably bored) casual sex at what to me seems an appallingly tender age, or she's singing about consciously making a point of being hip. I don't know - maybe striking significant poses or something.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:
Hmm. Maybe. She didn't strike me as credibly one for the hoops, but you never know.
Perhaps "After curling I go clubbing ..."? No that would cause even more confusion for most people.
Nanohedron wrote:But there the spelling and meaning are different, and the expression is customarily idiomatic to them specifically. So, either the lyrics carry a typo and she's been crying, or she's singing about (probably bored) casual sex at what to me seems an appallingly tender age, or she's singing about consciously making a point of being hip. I don't know - maybe striking significant poses or something.
Didn't go to the source of the lyrics, so I was just playing with the word. In general I'd say that the lyrics and the music are far separated from the singer as Ark Music Factory has the tunes pre-made and later the performer gets the piece. If I remember correctly with R. Black, she paid $1000 for a video and had a choice of 2 songs, one of which she rejected because she felt it was not appropriate. Overall, credibility the singer as to the lyrics seems dubious regardless of which choice of definition one uses, so I'll stick with the basketball definition if I have to choose one.