How Social Media works

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

How Social Media works

Post by Brus »

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: How Social Media works

Post by benhall.1 »

I get what he's saying, and I agree. I don't think it's quite well enough done to really hit the spot. I think the Onion would have been better hiring a really top comedian to do it. (Apologies if yer blond bloke there actually is a really top comedian. :oops: )

But different people use Social Media in different ways. I think it works best just as a medium for communication between real, actual friends. But then again, I have friends who use it in other ways, for promotion to a wide, but selected group of people, for instance such as, say, flute players around the world.

The Onion's clip is pointing out the futility, I suppose, of one particular use.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

For some reason his 'examples' got me wondering if there were 'consultants' behind this sort of thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania and hence to wondering if that this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordin ... _of_Crowds
was something that the social media entrepreneurs are cashing in on.

Is anything new other than the mechanism ?

(I think the delivery was fine and would work better in the context of other material from the same stable rather than a one-off link. The corny editing of the audience shots didn't work for me though.)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The first time that I see a "consultant" actually accomplish something, I'll let you know.

There are always ways for cheats to make money.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Take your pick.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

benhall.1 wrote:But then again, I have friends who use it in other ways, for promotion to a wide, but selected group of people, for instance such as, say, flute players around the world.
Yup- I have several hundred "friends" who I've never met but who found me as a whistle maker. Some are amateur players, some are other instrument makers, others are just fans of trad music. Any time I post something on my Busman Whistles' wall, a whole lot of people get to see it. Some of those folks have turned out to be pretty interesting too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Channels of distribution... you are a low-level distributor (family & friends) whether you want to be or not. Direct marketing for the product/service you provide AND the crap on the sidebars full of blinking/flashing/popup/banner. Like it or not your it. :)
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nah, Facebook is not that clever. It hasn't yet suggested my wife as a friend (we both use it mainly in relation to hobbies we don't share) and rarely shows adverts for anything I want.

The adds strip on this forum is another matter altogether. It often shows ads for things I am interested in - just after I have bought them online.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

(hi folks, after having been away for a while!)

I think the point of this video is more to make fun of the TED talks than it is to make comments about social media. That really is how a typical TED talk goes!

Here's the TED they are spoofing?
http://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_ho ... story.html

I love the TED talks-- but some folks think they're pretentious and self-congratulatory ("aren't we geniuses?"). I think that's what the Onion is making fun of.

Although, it's always appropriate to poke fun at social media. :wink:
david_h

Post by david_h »

Caroluna wrote:I think the point of this video is more to make fun of the TED talks than it is to make comments about social media. That really is how a typical TED talk goes!
Yes, that's why the editing of the audience shots did not work for me. The first few seconds gave the game away that it was a spoof and had me reminding myself what The Onion was. For best effect I should have been fooled for a minute or so before I got it. Maybe they couldn't afford an auditorium full of actors or another comedian to do a warm-up. But I will pay more attention to the editing on TED !
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

"We had no original ideas so we gave them Facebook page any teenager could have done it"
A teenager did his name is Mark Zuckerberg his FaceBook plan was in development way before the launch of FaceBook in 2004 at the Harvard University. This is as much a :poke: @Zuckerberg for the simplicity of his idea that netted him billion$ as it is a poke in the eye for any other entrepreneur who could create a web page but never had the brilliance to integrate a social network structure that is completely driven by the 1.15 billion monthly active, continually growing users, their likes and friendship circles, simple, perpetual generation of wealth.

Yeah!! hilariously funny :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jleo Fipple wrote:
"We had no original ideas so we gave them Facebook page any teenager could have done it"
A teenager did his name is Mark Zuckerberg
Sorry, you do understand that The Onion is a satirical humor site, don't you? Just checking ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Every Ted talk does start with that static of clapping before each episode, just not a view of the audience. The Onion version seemed to nail the way that non-actors, non-comedians often sound in cadence and performance. I think the word satire, not comedy, fits most of their work better.

Personally, I find the Ted talks to be hit or miss but mostly miss. They are mostly people advertising their work, posing as information, but at best are just entertainment. NPR seems to have jumped on the Ted bandwagon and even have a show rehashing the talks they think are worth playing. At that point the radio usually gets turned off. To me they are usually as enlightening as a bumper sticker.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

MTGuru wrote:
Jleo Fipple wrote:
A teenager did his name is Mark Zuckerberg
Sorry, you do understand that The Onion is a satirical humor site, don't you? Just checking ...
Jleo Fipple wrote:This is as much a :poke: @Zuckerberg for the simplicity of his idea that netted him billion$ as it is a poke in the eye for any other entrepreneur who could create a web page but never had the brilliance to integrate a social network structure ...
I did know the Onion is a piss take. There are Irish that don't like humour be it fun type or satirical. I'm the enjoy alcohol, music, good company and humour, satiracal or not type. I'm guessin' you didn't pick up on my satirical p.o.v. regarding all the geniuses that overlooked a teenager's simplistic idea to provide a digital home for his fellow students that exploded outwards to encompass all walks of life ... either way thanks for caring :D