rock classical

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

rock classical

Post by chas »

The other day I was listening to a couple of favorite albums: Ray Manzarek's version of Orff's Carmina Burana and Emerson Lake and Palmer's version of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. These are incredibly creative yet pretty faithful renditions of famous big pieces of music. (The ELP album does have a few songs inspired by the original piano pieces.) Offhand I can of more modern renditions of big classical pieces (no need to correct me on the era, I mean classical in spirit), but most are synthesizer-based, like Walter/Wendy Carlos, Tomita, etc. There are also plenty of shorter pieces/songs, but I'm more interested in the big ones.

Can anyone think of/recommend any other non-synthesizer renditions of big/long classical pieces?

Cheers,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Re: rock classical

Post by Wombat »

Hi Chas,
There are several fragments of pieces in The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack by the Nice. There might even be more extended workouts on earlier albums; that was Emerson's thing from early on. Despite a reasonable albeit somewhat fragmentary knowledge of prog right down to recent albums, I can't think of an extended work. I assume you are excluding 20th century compositions by band members themselves, otherwise Henry Cow and several French, German and Italian groups might be candidates. Even Frank Zappa's compositions might qualify but I suspect you didn't have anything like that in mind.
chas

Post by chas »

Hey, Wombat! Long time no see.

Wow, the Nice are a name I haven't heard in a few decades. I'll check out the record you suggest.

Your mention of Zappa reminds me that he conducted a piece (I think it was just orchestra, no rock instruments, although my memory is foggy) that was then-recently discovered by a composer named Francesca Zappa. I think it was from the late-18th or early-19th century, but was quite noisy, 100 years ahead of its time. FZ said something to the effect of, "As soon as I saw it, I knew we must be related."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
daveboling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

I really hate to bring it up, because when I think of it, the first thing that tries to come up is bile.
The image has an embedded audio link.

I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Chas,

Must have gone through a similar period in the early 80's, as I am familiar with all of the bands and music your reference in your OP.

Not sure if you ever ran across the band : Renaissance. Their albums Ashes are Burning and Scheherazade and Other Stories might fit your bill.

Check them out on Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(band)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
chas

Post by chas »

Renaissance certainly have their share of allusions to classical. The only piece of theirs I can think of that is complete is "Cold is being," the tune of which is taken from an Albinoni piece.

They're one of my favorite bands ever. If you're not familiar with it, they released a two-disc set called "BBC sessions" maybe ten years ago. It's one of the best live albums ever. I'm not crazy about live albums that are just carbon copies of studio songs. Renaissance generally didn't perform with an orchestra, so the arrangements are necessarily different. Their musicianship is breathtaking, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Gee, I hope some of you guys got to go to the Yestival in Camden (New Jersey, USA) earlier this month. My younger son attended. He listened to too many of my LPs as a young-un. Along with Yes (what's left anyway) Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy, Renaissance (only Haslam remains from the various 70's line-ups) and others played. Day long concert - lots of music - some better than others. Prog-rock lives on, for now, with bi-focals.

Chas, you might be amused by one of the opening acts from the Yestival - Scale the Summit. They organized at the Musician's Institute in LA. Good chops, very much clascic-rock, prog-rock inspired but with three stage rectified amplifiers. They are not doing classical compositions but if you liked the vibe of the classic rockers they get there, just a little louder.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

My oldest brother got me addicted to ELP and Yes. I'll have to check our this Renaissance. Thanks for the thread.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:Gee, I hope some of you guys got to go to the Yestival in Camden (New Jersey, USA) earlier this month.
Didn't make it to the Yestival, but, I did see Yes live when they were only a maybe. Yes played a gig 1973 at the Great Lakes Naval Station, IL... bootcamp for some of us sailors. Probably the highlight of my time there besides leaving. Sailors have more fun and the US Navy knows how to rock the boat!

Been a fan ever since. Rock on! :)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote:Didn't make it to the Yestival, but, I did see Yes live when they were only a maybe.
Yes were very well established by that time - at least in the Philadelphia region. If you got to see them with Peter Banks on guitar and Tony Kaye on keyboards that would have been early - 1969-ish. They were more of a Jam band in those days, still exquisite.

One of the more interesting parts of the Yestival, according to my son, was the presence of Roger Dean the creative mind behind the artwork gracing the covers of many of the Yes LPs. Annie Haslam also had some of her artwork on display too.
mutepointe wrote:I'll have to check our this Renaissance. Thanks for the thread.
Might as well start with the Turn of the Cards cd. In relation to chas's original inquiry one of the tracks is essentially a rocked out version of Albinoni's Addaggio in G Minor. Hard to imagine that this group was formed out of the ashes of both the Yardbirds and the Nasville Teens.

MP, While your at it look into Gentle Giant - Octopus is a decent recording to start with. Lots of videos by them on YouTube from live concerts. They were masterful in concert.

Feadoggie
chas

Post by chas »

Feadoggie wrote:
mutepointe wrote:I'll have to check our this Renaissance. Thanks for the thread.
Might as well start with the Turn of the Cards cd. In relation to chas's original inquiry one of the tracks is essentially a rocked out version of Albinoni's Addaggio in G Minor. Hard to imagine that this group was formed out of the ashes of both the Yardbirds and the Nasville Teens.

MP, While your at it look into Gentle Giant - Octopus is a decent recording to start with. Lots of videos by them on YouTube from live concerts. They were masterful in concert.
Renaissance are the only group I know of who had NO founding members on their second album. They were the same group, as Jim McCarty did co-write (I think) a couple of songs on Prologue and one on Ashes Are Burning. There were a few groups, the Moody Blues and Blood Sweat and Tears come to mind, whose sound completely changed, but each had two or three members left over from the original lineup. I have a CD that has the first album, fleshed out with a few singles, and I love it. It bears no resemblance to the Dunford et al. version, although it's heavy on the keyboards, and you can see the seeds sown for John Tout. Ashes are Burning and Scheherazade are also great albums. I think the high points of A Song for All Seasons (especially the title song, which is the absolute pinnacle of orchestral rock) are the best music they ever made, but it's pretty uneven.

I think Gentle Giant were probably the most artistic prog rock band. It was not unusual for all (or at least most) of the members to be playing recorders, guitars, or xylophones/marimbas/vibes at the same time. Even moreso than Renaissance, their live arrangements were often completely different from their studio work. I agree, one of the best live bands ever. Three Friends was another great album with some folk inspirations. I love their noisy stuff -- Power and the Glory, the first couple of albums.

Feadoggie, since you're from the mid-Atlantic, are you familiar with Happy the Man?

Cheers,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Have we moved on now, from bands performing classical works, to symphonic-sounding "progressive" rock or pastoral compositions?

If so, my favorites are IQ, UK, Strawbs, Gentle Giant, Fish-era Marillion, Gabriel-era Genesis, Renaissance (btw the Camera, Camera CD, not usually mentioned, is not bad), Triumvirat; Italian-style groups such as Locanda delle Fate, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Le Orme, Corte Dei Miracoli, Latte E Miele, Maxophone, Luciano Basso, the original Il Volo (not Simon Cowell's impostors), Museo Rosenbach, Neuschwanstein, Nuova Era, Pablo El Enterrador, Quaterna Réquiem, Il Rovescio della Medaglia.

Not in the same vein, perhaps for those who like jazzy/rock stuff, then I recommend Arti & Mestieri, especially for one of the world's best drummers (Furio Chirico).

For a sample of Gentle Giant in Concert:
Mostly early work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOEIjDOJWo
Later stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-yGcpaY_4

Locanda delle Fate live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrY-9XIOWo
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

ytliek wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:Gee, I hope some of you guys got to go to the Yestival in Camden (New Jersey, USA) earlier this month.
Didn't make it to the Yestival, but, I did see Yes live when they were only a maybe. Yes played a gig 1973 at the Great Lakes Naval Station, IL... bootcamp for some of us sailors. Probably the highlight of my time there besides leaving. Sailors have more fun and the US Navy knows how to rock the boat!

Been a fan ever since. Rock on! :)

As Feadoggie stated, YES was definitely well established by 1973 here in the Northeast anyway. Many of my friends and I were listening to them regularly by then, me being a junior in high school at the time. That was a period of some truly inspiring music and both YES and ELP were among some of my favorites.

Hey Ytliek, is it true that "if this boat's a rockin, one shouldn't come a knockin"? :lol: :lol: :lol: God bless the Navy!

Cheers Mate,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

YouTube has the full album which I am listening to now. The album cover looks familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCtZPWP9zNQ
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

chas wrote:Feadoggie, since you're from the mid-Atlantic, are you familiar with Happy the Man?
Chas, I was not aware of them back in the day. I only first heard them on the Internet in recent years. Good stuff. Thanks for reminding me about them.
chas wrote:I think Gentle Giant were probably the most artistic prog rock band. It was not unusual for all (or at least most) of the members to be playing recorders, guitars, or xylophones/marimbas/vibes at the same time. Even more so than Renaissance, their live arrangements were often completely different from their studio work. I agree, one of the best live bands ever. Three Friends was another great album with some folk inspirations. I love their noisy stuff -- Power and the Glory, the first couple of albums.
:) :) :)

For those of you that like the Peter Gabriel era Genesis performance theatrics ( I was always amused) Yestival included a tribute band The Musical Box (Gabriel endorsed BTW) that performed Genesis pieces complete with the costumes and characters. So look for them at your local venue. Ironically another band, Sound of Contact, included Phil Collins' son Simon which has a real prog-rock throwback sound.

In a complete 180 degree turn of the Chas' topic, I spent a few days earlier this month absorbing to the orchestral versions of Peter Gabriel's hits on the New Blood/i] album. Interesting stuff too. No wild abandon as the music of the 70's exhibited but the structure, rhythm, harmony and layers are all still there. As I age I wonder where my musical head will end up. Things seem to go in circles. Once one full circle is complete another starts. Hopefully it never ends and keeps on advancing a bit.

Sorry for the thread drift, chas.

Feadoggie