A poll about the outer space posts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should admin move the space posts into a Denny memorial thread?

Yes!!!!!
25%
No, I like it the way it is.
75%

Total votes: 16

Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A poll about the outer space posts

Post by Paul »

I enjoy them. I told Denny I did when he was still around - however it's getting really difficult to sort through them - and it has been for a while. Do y'all think it would be a good idea to make a memorial thread for Denny like at Teh Forum? I like the idea for a few reasons.
  • The obvious navigation issues
    The posts have become a C&F tradition so they should stay and continue to be updated for anyone who wants to see them
    Having the memorial thread gives Denny eternal credit for starting the tradition
i honestly hope I haven't offended anyone here as that is not my intention. It's just a suggestion *and* if this has been addressed before an admin can please delete this thread. I looked and couldn't find one. I would be glad to help move the posts if Dale and Company requested it. I have experience administrating other boards.

Thanks and all the best!
Paul
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: A poll about the outer space posts

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm interested in the way this thread might turn out.

Having said which, bear in mind that the practical result of such a poll may be nothing at all. I mean, who believes in democracy anyway? Just look at all the trouble it's caused around the world. :twisted:

Oh, and, out of interest, from a personal point of view, I voted for the status quo. I like 'em. If we (Dale and the Mods {ooh! great 60s band name :D }) ever decide to move them, for whatever reason, it's easy enough to do - I think we'd cope, Paul. :wink:
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

benhall.1 wrote: (Dale and the Mods {ooh! great 60s band name :D }
I'd prefer Dale and the Rockers. Maybe we should do a poll on that too?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I think that Denny is "still around". I'd hate to make him go to another room. It would be like time out.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

mutepointe wrote:I think that Denny is "still around". I'd hate to make him go to another room. It would be like time out.
Denny is still around. Too strong a personality not to be. And it's great to have him. :)
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I have continued to post the APOD pictures, not because I knew Denny (other than as a member of the board who also posted the APOD pictures), but because I enjoyed seeing them, and thought others did also. If what I am doing is considered an homage to Denny, it (from my limited knowledge of him), is an homage to his dedication to consistently posting each day's offering.
From looking at the number of views, it appears that there may be a core of 12-24 people who also enjoy the images and the story behind them.
If the consensus is that the number of APOD threads is making use of the OT(ML) forum difficult to use, I don't mind discontinuing the regular postings.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Dave, have you considered putting the APOD posts into one APOD thread? That's what Denny did in his "TED" thread, and I've continued this practice in the More TED thread (which, as it happens, is in homage to Denny).
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:Dave, have you considered putting the APOD posts into one APOD thread? That's what Denny did in his "TED" thread, and I've continued this practice in the More TED thread (which, as it happens, is in homage to Denny).
Yes, but it's not what Denny did in his APOD posts is it?

They used to be somewhat livelier threads, since there was a game, played by a few of us, with arcane and unwritten rules, which enlivened and lit up the whole forum. :)

Still, speaking with a user's hat on, having discarded for the nonce my more ornate Mod headgear, I think the posts stand up individually on their own. Just my 2c.
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

I do not know about the original postings but I do enjoy Dave's posts and have commented on a few of them.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I take a quick peek almost daily for the posting, or I catch up later. I liked it when Denny did it and I like it now with Dave posting. :)
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I think the posts are fine as is. I enjoy looking at them from time to time, and they are in the appropriate forum. I say leave it as is, and I hope Dave will continue to share them.