Going to Donegal!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Going to Donegal!

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all,

I recently learned that I've been awarded a Gaeltacht Summer Award to spend a month in an Irish immersion program in Donegal. The award covers tuition, room, and board, which is wonderful (and the one thing that's making this doable this year!).

I have to make my own travel arrangements, however, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how to get the best flight prices (yes, I know whatever I do it's going to be expensive).

For example, does anyone know if it's cheaper to fly at one time of the week than another? I want to look at all my options before I book something.

I will probably fly into Dublin, as I know how to get around there, and how to get the bus for Donegal...but I'd be open to flying into Shannon or Belfast if I can find a better deal.

I actually prefer at least one stop on a flight (those international non-stops can be pretty uncomfortable).

Any tips or insight welcome!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Going to Donegal!

Post by BigDavy »

hi Redwolf

you would likely be better flying into Belfast. it would probably be easier to get to Donegal from there.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

BigDavy wrote:hi Redwolf

you would likely be better flying into Belfast. it would probably be easier to get to Donegal from there.

David
It's pretty simple from Dublin, actually...Bus Éireann and Mc Geehan's both go to Donegal Town and then transfer to Gleann Cholm Cille (it's not a bad ride...I did it in the reverse direction in 2008).

My main motivation for Dublin is that I know my way around there...I know where to get a decent hostel, how to find Busáras, what to do to fill up an evening there, etc. But I'm willing to consider flying into Belfast if it would be cheaper (I haven't priced that option yet).

Redwolf
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

if you are looking for the cheapest option, don't rule out flying into Glasgow and getting the Donegal bus from there. The Americans that we run across here say you can get good deals flying out of New York to Glasgow.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

BigDavy wrote:if you are looking for the cheapest option, don't rule out flying into Glasgow and getting the Donegal bus from there. The Americans that we run across here say you can get good deals flying out of New York to Glasgow.

David
Hmmm. Does that fly into Donegal airport? Might be worth taking a look at.

Redwolf
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

My family roots are between the waters up on the Fanad of Donegal - remote and beautiful. We fly in to Dublin, take the bus to Letterkenny and rent a car for the rest of the travel. If you haven't driven up there it can be a real adventure. We usually do a self catered cottage to save on food and other living expenses. Costs are very reasonable. I'm not savy on Donegal town though.

I'd recommend avoiding Boston in your air travel if possible - had too many bad experiences there recently.

Congratulations. Enjoy you time there.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I won't be having a car, so I'll be dependent on public transit...that's another factor. I know there are busses that go to Gleann Cholm Cille from Dublin and from Galway. Galway's physically closer to Gleann, but getting to Galway from Shannon on public transit can be a bit of a nightmare from what I've heard, whereas getting into Dublin's city center from the airport is dead easy.

Might be easiest to just stick to what I know and travel through Dublin. One added benefit...it will give me the chance to do the Trad Music Pub Crawl again, which is great fun!

Redwolf
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Redwolf wrote:One added benefit...it will give me the chance to do the Trad Music Pub Crawl again, which is great fun!
Also, don't forget the Literary Pub Crawl, or one of the guided Bloomsday walks.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:
Redwolf wrote:One added benefit...it will give me the chance to do the Trad Music Pub Crawl again, which is great fun!
Also, don't forget the Literary Pub Crawl, or one of the guided Bloomsday walks.
Yup...lots to do in Dublin!

Last time I did the Trad Pub Crawl, I had just come back from Donegal, and sang "An Mhaighdean Mhara" at the last stop (where they invite participants to offer some music). Turned out the uillean piper was also from Donegal...we had a good yack about the song after. I don't think they get many sean-nós singers there.

I'm going to try to bring my Harpsicle this time, so unless the TSA gets pissy, I'll have that as well.

Redwolf