MTGuru's Neighbors Sighted in MPLS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

MTGuru's Neighbors Sighted in MPLS

Post by Nanohedron »

Outside my window today I saw birds I'd never seen before:

It's a Golden-Crowned Sparrow and I imagine MTGuru should know this one well, for its normal habitat is the far west of the continent:

Did some Googling around and in one ornie page for South Dakota, for example, there were only two known reported sightings mentioned, so it's called a very rare visitor there, and here it is even further eastward. Now, the weather here lately is I suppose not too different from much of their more inland northern breeding range, so I'm not surprised by their not having brought sunglasses, deck chairs and umbrella'd drinks along; there they were, foraging around on the lawn and having a grand old time and not looking lost at all.

And this isn't the first Westerly visitor I've seen here. We also have had Western Chipmunks:

Another critter definitely far afield from its typical range.

I wonder if they'll be taking up permanent residence, and why they'd even come here in the first place. Maybe it's for the dinner theater.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Re: MTGuru's Neighbors Sighted in MPLS

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:It's a Golden-Crowned Sparrow and I imagine MTGuru should know this one well, for its normal habitat is the far west of the continent
Hmmm, s/he does look familiar. The sparrows here are different from the East Coast sparrows I grew up with. Mostly in the yard I see sparrows, wrens, flycatchers, and jays. They like to sit on the fence posts and dive-bomb the lawn for bugs.

The eucalyptus grove behind the house is home to hawks and owls. We have a resident mockingbird across the street. And lots of hummingbirds, especially when I put out feeders. A huge flock of crows invaded a few months ago, but they seem to have moved on.

The funniest sight was a few years ago, when a road runner somehow got trapped in the yard and couldn't figure out how to exit the low fence. He'd stand at one end, then suddenly dash (meep meep!) to the other end, then back to the other end, then ... This went on for half an hour until he finally realized he could just hop the fence. They really are fast. :-)
Nanohedron wrote:I wonder if they'll be taking up permanent residence, and why they'd even come here in the first place. Maybe it's for the dinner theater.
Or maybe they're trying the escape the high taxes.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Hmmm, s/he does look familiar.
As it happens, your gender caution is entirely apt; info says there is little sexual dimorphism apparent to the casual observer in that species. That wee streak of bright yellow is pretty striking; reminds me of a tilak. If they keep hanging around, I might start calling them Guru Birds in your honor. :)
MTGuru wrote:This went on for half an hour until [the roadrunner] finally realized he could just hop the fence. They really are fast. :-)
Only just not in the brain department. :wink:
MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I wonder if they'll be taking up permanent residence, and why they'd even come here in the first place. Maybe it's for the dinner theater.
Or maybe they're trying the escape the high taxes.
If that's the idea, they didn't exactly make the right decision in coming here, I can tell you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
MTGuru wrote:This went on for half an hour until [the roadrunner] finally realized he could just hop the fence. They really are fast. :-)
Only just not in the brain department. :wink:
Evidently the cartoons are only half right. I suspect the scientific name isn't really Tastyus supersonicus, either.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Nanohedron wrote: That wee streak of bright yellow is pretty striking; reminds me of a tilak. If they keep hanging around, I might start calling them Guru Birds in your honor. :)
Tilak -- I'll add that word to my vocabulary :thumbsup:
http://radhekrishna.org/types-of-tilak/

A lot of birds have those -- don't know why?