Who knew?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Who knew?

Post by MTGuru »

I really should take a bath and then step outside my front door now and then:

http://vimeo.com/63804783

(Note: You may want to turn your volume down before checking the link.)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Caroluna

Re: Who knew?

Post by Caroluna »

Thanks for that! Gorgeous!!

I've only been to San Diego once in my life. As a life-long Easterner, the first thing that struck me was the color of the sky. That shade of blue just doesn't occur here. The sunlight / shadows seemed different too -- everything more sharp-edged -- as if it had been filmed in high-def, or run through Photoshop with the contrast way up. Sort of surreal looking, in an exhilarating way. But I guess if I lived there, I'd get used to it...

My other memory of San Diego was visiting the Zoo. Not quite a religious experience, but close :lol: At the time I was a math major and doing math tutoring -- because my husband and everyone in his family was in math or engineering. I think I wanted to fit in / seem respectable. But visiting the San Diego zoo was such a powerful experience -- the beautiful environments for the animals, the artwork they had exhibited there -- that I had a kind of epiphany -- "THIS is what I should be doing". Started studying Biological Illustration, and have been working with critters ever since. :D

I enjoyed the reminder -- now I want to visit there again!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

The colors are stunning. All I remember of SD is haze grey. :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Pretty sure I saw a UFO do a flyby at 2:30. That was a weird trajectory, anyway.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Caroluna wrote:As a life-long Easterner, the first thing that struck me was the color of the sky. That shade of blue just doesn't occur here. The sunlight / shadows seemed different too -- everything more sharp-edged -- as if it had been filmed in high-def, or run through Photoshop with the contrast way up. Sort of surreal looking, in an exhilarating way. But I guess if I lived there, I'd get used to it...
You are spot-on, Caroluna. The quality of the light here was the first thing that struck me when I first came, and its absence is the first thing I notice when I'm away. "Hi-Def" describes it very well.

Thanks to our generally clear skies and the peculiar phenomenon of the marine layer, the sunsets here can be pretty spectacular.

The focus on the downtown is understandable. But San Diego is geographically large, and it's too bad the videographer didn't include other areas as well.
ytliek wrote:The colors are stunning. All I remember of SD is haze grey. :lol:
You must have spent all your time by the water! You need to go a few miles inland to get away from the "May Grey" and "June Gloom".
fearfaoin wrote:Pretty sure I saw a UFO do a flyby at 2:30. That was a weird trajectory, anyway.
That's probably really an IFO, and it could have been you if you were flying in. Lindbergh Field* is the largest single-runway commercial airport in the US, and the inbound flight path takes you literally through downtown just over the treetops. At one point you're flying below the tops of office buildings on either side and can wave hello. It should be advertised as a thrill ride in itself, and I understand that pilots consider it one of the scariest airports for landings.

* The Spirit of St. Louis was built here, and Lindbergh began his flight to Paris in San Diego.

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The first time I ever saw the 'Green Ray' phenomenon was when I was a young sailor in San Diego. :shock:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:You need to go a few miles inland to get away from the "May Grey" and "June Gloom".
It's to your credit that you can't be 100% accused of gloating. Now if you'll excuse me, Debbie Downer here has to go shovel snow off of everything.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

MTGuru wrote: The focus on the downtown is understandable. But San Diego is geographically large, and it's too bad the videographer didn't include other areas as well.
I second that. I like the waterfront there, especially the maritime museum, but that is far from my favorite part of San Diego. I love the cliffs at Torrey pines and that will probably always be my idea of how a beach should be. But I also love the mountains and the desert beyond. Especially when the sky is just beginning to threaten rain.

I was never one for nightlife, but this video made me want to wander through downtown at night. It always seemed too crowded but it might be worth it.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:It's to your credit that you can't be 100% accused of gloating.
Well, there's always Ron Burgundy to keep us humble. (Caution: clip language is NSFW.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HNJ93HCxUA

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:It's to your credit that you can't be 100% accused of gloating.
Well, there's always Ron Burgundy to keep us humble. (Caution: clip language is NSFW.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HNJ93HCxUA
Well, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? I love San Diego. Seriously. Love it, love it. I just hate the people who get to live there. :wink:

BTW - and no joke - in Minneapolis IT'S SNOWING AGAIN. Can you hear the maniacal laughter of a broken man over the pixels?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:BTW - and no joke - in Minneapolis IT'S SNOWING AGAIN.
Then I guess you won't be doing this there today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNneU5shTs

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

For that I need to go to San Diego? Get over yourself. Here's Minnesota's version of kind of sort of the same thing:

(From an article on how we turn the world upside-down titled "Rebellious Minnesotans Dip into Spring Wardrobe")

'"I'm just hoping that if I keep wearing things that are spring, maybe the weather will get better eventually," [Kelsey Germscheid] said.'

I know.

It's what we do.