What's your signature Easter food?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's your signature Easter food?

Post by mutepointe »

In a little bit, I'll start making the potato salad but my signature side dish is homemade french fries made from jumbo russets. My FIL eats gluten free foods so that puts a crimp in the menu possibilities. Ham is gluten free.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
German Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What's your signature Easter food?

Post by German Whistler »

food? eastern?
Egs,Egs and even more Egs
Tradition in Germany, well some eat lamb additional but EGS are everywhere
And that is so true because we hide them (more for kids who have to find and collect them but many adults like that too)

Anyway, i dont plan any cake, any real meal .....all i need is EGS, EGS, EGS ,.. And Chocolat Egs, and chocolat Egs filled with Eg likor, ... and .... after Eastern a Diet ;-)

But Potato salad? that sounds nice maybe a spanish "Ensalada Russia" would fit nice with those 30 (only 4 me) Egs i will cook and Paint (yes we paint easteregs) on saturday
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Ham of whistle pig! :lol:

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I kinda got the Passion for pig myself.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Kielbasa with really strong, fresh horseradish.

This is all that's left over from my Polish heritage (great-grandparents came over on the Pickle Boat).
When I was growing up, my grandmother used to send us a package before Easter that had toys and goodies for the kids, and also had a big jar of FRESH horseradish that she had grated just a few days before. Whew, good stuff. So, about 10 years ago we planted some horseradish plants and the following Easter I tried grating the roots myself. :boggle: I have never cried so hard in my life :lol: That was it, didn't try that again. Meanwhile, the plants had become huge and were taking over that whole area. I tried digging them out but that just made them mad, and they grew back tougher than ever. Finally I gave in and now they're a 'garden feature'. :wink: I tell myself that they're there because they're food for the butterflies (the cabbage white butterflies love them).

I think of my little Polish grandma every time I see them though, so that's another plus. :)
emmline

Post by emmline »

No tradition. I believe we'll be eating Ethiopian tomorrow.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:No tradition. I believe we'll be eating Ethiopian tomorrow.
They have Easter traditions of their own, so at least nominally you're good to go. You might even come up against some of them at the restaurant, which could be interesting to experience.

Someone mentioned going to Pizza Hut for Easter. I personally found this a curious choice and asked if there was a special Easter pizza being featured, but apparently not. Okay. Whatever works.

But even though I'm basically secular, I still like some traditional things because they're cultural. For me, at Easter it's usually a smoked bone-in ham baked with cured super-garlicky Polish sausages all braised in some pineapple juice, and homemade potato salad. Very simple, very carnivore-friendly. Everything else is negotiable except the horseradish and Dijon mustard.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Caroluna wrote:Kielbasa with really strong, fresh horseradish.

This is all that's left over from my Polish heritage (great-grandparents came over on the Pickle Boat).
When I was growing up, my grandmother used to send us a package before Easter that had toys and goodies for the kids, and also had a big jar of FRESH horseradish that she had grated just a few days before. Whew, good stuff. So, about 10 years ago we planted some horseradish plants and the following Easter I tried grating the roots myself. :boggle: I have never cried so hard in my life :lol: That was it, didn't try that again. Meanwhile, the plants had become huge and were taking over that whole area. I tried digging them out but that just made them mad, and they grew back tougher than ever. Finally I gave in and now they're a 'garden feature'. :wink: I tell myself that they're there because they're food for the butterflies (the cabbage white butterflies love them).

I think of my little Polish grandma every time I see them though, so that's another plus. :)
1. It was my grandparents who immigrated from Czechoslovakia.
2. My parents' friends made our horseradish. The added pickle juice to give it a red color. Homemade horseradish is so much more fragrant that store bough. My parents' friends passed away and all we have now is memories of wonderful horseradish.
3. I could never handle keilbasi, so my Mom always added hot dogs to the sauerkraut for me.

Other than that, pretty much the same story.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmm. I feel like shaking things up a bit. Maybe next year it'll be BUNNY.

With eggs. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

I put ham on my matzah.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
megapop

Post by megapop »

Nanohedron wrote:Hmm. I feel like shaking things up a bit. Maybe next year it'll be BUNNY.
With eggs. :twisted:
Hopefully they don't get your children first.

return null;
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

emmline wrote:No tradition. I believe we'll be eating Ethiopian tomorrow.
They Do have a Cuisine, I have been to an Ethiopian Restaurant several times ...Really Good Food!
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

megapop wrote:Hopefully they don't get your children first.
It's them or us.

Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

In reality I am a big fan of what my buds and I refer to as Vitamin G (Goose Kielbasa). We harvest a number of Canada Geese each waterfowl season and have some of them processed into kielbasa. Served up with some fresh ground horsradish and mustard, perhaps a side of hard boiled eggs, absolutely delightful. Just ask Ytliek, he'll testify. :thumbsup:

Happy Easter Chiffers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Cayden wrote:In reality I am a big fan of what my buds and I refer to as Vitamin G (Goose Kielbasa). We harvest a number of Canada Geese each waterfowl season and have some of them processed into kielbasa. Served up with some fresh ground horsradish and mustard, perhaps a side of hard boiled eggs, absolutely delightful. Just ask Ytliek, he'll testify. :thumbsup:
Yep, Vitamin Goose Kielbasa with the mustard and horseradish is simply delicious. :)

And somehow there are a few less droppings around the neighborhood.