Odd News II

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Odd News II

Post by Caroluna »

Another one of Denny's "ongoing topic" contributions was the "Odd News" thread. I'd be glad to help carry on that tradition!

Remember that mock mission to Mars? The scientific results are in, and they are not so great.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT
In a novel experiment, six volunteers were confined in a cramped mock spaceship in Moscow to simulate a 17-month voyage. It made most of the would-be spacemen lethargic, much like birds and bears heading into winter, gearing up for hibernation. [...] When leaving confinement in November 2011, the six volunteers - three Russians, a Frenchman, an Italian-Colombian and a Chinese - called their experience successful [...] The data scientists collected wasn't as rosy. Devices on the volunteers' wrists measured their movements and showed that when they were asleep and awake they were moving much less than they should have been, an unexpected and disturbing finding.
Former astronaut Michael Lopez-Alegria, who holds the American record for longest space mission, said he could relate to the study findings. During his 215 days in orbit on the space station, he sometimes had trouble getting back to sleep because he didn't have a sense of lying down or having his head on a pillow. The lack of sleep and lots of work caused him to sometimes nod off during the day, and the lack of gravity meant that when he fell asleep accidentally he would float away and awaken elsewhere in the station, he said.
Caroluna

Re: Odd News II

Post by Caroluna »

Giant Squid, First Video Taken Of The Animal In Its Natural Habitat

http://planetsave.com/2013/01/09/giant- ... l-habitat/
The researchers came across the giant squid only after around 100 missions, it took more than 400 hours to capture the 10 minutes of footage.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

A magnetic helmet that could help treat depression

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/10/a_magne ... epression/
The United States Food and Drug Administration approved a helmet that treats depression using — wait for it — magnets. It might sound like weird science, but doctors are hailing it as a non-invasive and effective alternative to antidepressants.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (or TMS), involves wearing a helmet filled with electromagnetic coils that sends magnetic pulses to “rewire” specific neural pathways in the brain. [...]
While TMS bears some resemblance to electroconvulsive therapy, doctors say it works quite differently. Traditional shock therapy induces seizures to release neurotransmitters, the goal for TMS is to energize nerve tracks in the brain by making them fire more frequently. The magnetic field impulses of TMS are far gentler
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

The Internet is for Cats
From the Guardian:
There is a hacker terrorising Japan with a computer virus, bomb threats and riddles. Meanwhile, a stray cat wandering a small island near Tokyo holds important clues on its collar. This is no movie. This happened this week. An unnamed hacker in Japan really did leave a memory card on a stray cat’s collar, and journalists and authorities really did have to crack a few riddles to locate said ownerless feline.
more here
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... acker-clue
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

If I remember correctly, I was always saying something snarky on Denny's Odd News thread....I'm having a hard time finding something snarky to say now, but I'm saying it in spirit. :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

izzarina wrote:...I'm having a hard time finding something snarky to say now
I know :cry: We'll have to go on without him the best we can...
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Like maybe, if somebody had used that magnetic helmet they might have found the giant squid or the hacker cat a lot faster.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Saving Lives with Fake Poop

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/10/disgust ... _diarrhea/
Clostridium difficile -- rod-shaped bacteria [that] are commonly found in the environment and even in our bodies, but have lately become a major concern in hospitals where antibiotics leave patients without the natural flora that protect their bodies […] if not controlled, [they] can lead to severe dehydration, kidney failure, holes in the intestines and death. Patients already weakened by other illnesses are particularly at risk of succumbing […] With more and more strains of C. difficile becoming resistant to antibiotics, doctors have had to find creative ways to treat the infection. One of the most promising (if not revolting) treatments that has been tested in recent years is called fecal bacteriotherapy or ‘stool transplant’, which involves taking donor poop from a healthy patient and inserting it into the gut of an infected one as a form of probiotics, seeking to replace the protective flora […]
Now, University of Guelph researchers have developed a more sanitary way of achieving the same results: synthetic poop.The researchers created fake feces, aptly named RePOOPulate, after careful examination of bacterial colonies grown from the stool of healthy volunteers. Once the right ratio of species was determined, 33 different bacteria were grown in a robotic intestine simulator...
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Baby Walruses need hugs

Walruses are very social animals -- so remember, if you rescue an orphaned baby walrus, it will need hugs. Lots of hugs.

--unbearably cute video :love:
http://vimeo.com/51101284

article in the Anchorage Daily News
http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/162610
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Our Goddaughter plans to study engineering and had already promised to build us our very own Death Star. Suckers. Mwa-ha-ha.

White House rejects ‘Death Star’ petition

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... petittion/
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

mutepointe wrote: White House rejects ‘Death Star’ petition
Yes, I loved that :thumbsup:

> This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For
> By Paul Shawcross
>
> The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:
>
> * The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
> * The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
> * Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
>
> However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet....
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Mouse eats scorpions and howls at the moon

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... -moon.html
In the dark expanses of the Sonoran desert in the US, a terrifying creature stalks the night, searching for fresh meat. Anything will do: crickets, rodents, tarantulas – the nastier the better.
Even the poisonous scorpion cannot escape the savage monster's little pink paws. It fights bravely, stinging its attacker on the nose. To no avail. The mouse ignores the painful venom and cruelly breaks the scorpion's tail by pummelling it into the ground, then bites its head and feasts on its flesh. Throwing its head back, the murderous animal howls at the moon.
rachie_ray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Odd News II

Post by rachie_ray »

Humans Have Stripes...

Something I would have shown my dad...

http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/44226

-Rachael
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Caroluna wrote:Saving Lives with Fake Poop
Your post, disturbing as it seems, reminds me of a guy who was in a prison camp during WWII. There was an awful bout of dysentery or something going around the prison. This guy was kind of a de facto leader, and he went out into the yards during the night, where there were free ranging goats. He picked up some goat turds and told the sick and dying that they were medicine that he'd been able to get from a sympathetic guard. Most of these men rallied and recovered. He thought it was strictly the strength of suggestion, but in talking to some medical folks, including my wife, the pellets were introducing gut flora and probably replenishing what the men had lost due to the infections.

I wish I could remember this guy's name; he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor a few years ago.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

He thought it was strictly the strength of suggestion, but in talking to some medical folks, including my wife, the pellets were introducing gut flora and probably replenishing what the men had lost due to the infections.
That’s very interesting! From what I understand, gut flora is species specific, but there could have been enough in common.
Maybe some of those servicemen were old goats.
rachie_ray wrote:Humans Have Stripes...
Something I would have shown my dad...
http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/44226
My graphics tablet set-up isn’t working at the moment, or I would have fun with that one…The blue stripes look like something from “Avatar” -- or the musical "Cats"!