Mayberry/The Andy Griffith Show

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mayberry/The Andy Griffith Show

Post by mutepointe »

I was going to make a poll but I'd much rather hear people comments about this TV show/way of life. Interesting, I found on YouTube, a version of the theme song sung by Andy Griffith himself. click here to listen

This show was completely ruined for me as a small child. My Mom used to say that people who kept their curtains drawn had something to hide. Well, this was a TV set and every house in town had their curtains drawn. I kept wondering what everyone's secrets were. Floyd did not help matters. And although I could accept that Floyd was up to something that I didn't want to know anything about, what bothered me even more was what Aunt Bea could possibly be doing, she was so sweet when anybody was in the home. I only found out later in life that Floyd had a serious illness and they kept him in the show. They should have told us.

People either like or don't like this show. It creeps me out.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Re: Mayberry/The Andy Griffith Show

Post by dwest »

Haven't ever seen it, bought some dwarf hinokis from his neighbour a few years ago during a "yard sale."
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote: click here to listen
Never could listen to that without immediately thinking of the tune Crawdad Hole which I learned as a cadence in basic training.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Thank you for that link. I hadn't heard that song in years. I always thought it was a sweet song (the way I've heard it.) Now I know the name of it and I'm going to learn it. They did it really cool too but that's not how I'm going to do it.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I loved that show.
I think the closed curtains was just to hide the fact that Andy's house was only a set.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It seems creepy to me that someone wants to look into other peoples houses.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thanks for the Crawdad Hole link. Fire that up, and I am immediately reminded that my roots are in SW Virginny, and there ain't nothin' I can do about it. Can't help myself, I like it.

As for Mayberry, I wasn't a big watcher of it but it would pass the time if there was nothing else on. Maybe there weren't any female characters I could identify with. Not that I could identify with Marcia, Jan and Cindy, but at least I could feel superior to them.

In any case, the curtains didn't bother me. But truth be told I.D., I do like to look in people's windows. Not that I carry this out on a peeping Thomasina basis, but driving along, I love it if I can see into interesting homes or apartment buildings. Of course, usually I'm driving, so I can't enjoy this too much anymore.

Andy lives near the Outer Banks of NC nowadays. Once, when we were at the beach, my mom encountered him at the grocery store checkout. He started talking to her about how he was working on keeping that--the locally owned grocery--in business. It is no surprise that Andy picked out my mother to talk to, because EVERYONE picks her. There is a big invisible sign hovering over her head that says "tell me everything." That store went out of business anyway.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Andy Griffith has a nice little place(compound) at Manteo but the fishing is better on the other side of the island. We've fished around his dock(hard to miss it) several times and came up with nada. If it were me I'd move to the other side...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I liked the little red haired kid. What ever happened to him?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Feadoggie wrote:I liked the little red haired kid. What ever happened to him?

Feadoggie
This guy has red hair...
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Feadoggie wrote:I liked the little red haired kid. What ever happened to him?

Feadoggie
This: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000165/
Charlene
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

mutepointe wrote:I was going to make a poll but I'd much rather hear people comments about this TV show/way of life. Interesting, I found on YouTube, a version of the theme song sung by Andy Griffith himself. click here to listen
I MUCH prefer the whistling-only version used on the show's intro. Here's another good show theme song ruined by lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA-PdP4k4Xw
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Got ahold of a pot o' gold.

Yep. That theme song was ruined. Bad. If 911 existed back then, they'd have called.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I like the fact that the create of Star Trek (Gene Roddenberry) wrote lyrics to the theme song enabling himself to get half the song's royalties despite never using them.
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

I watched the show when it was new. I can't remember much from grade school from back then but I can describe many of the shows in detail including the commercials. I use the theme song from the show in a clawhammer banjo medley of old TV show tunes which includes the ballad of jed clampett and bonanza to name a few... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats