What do you like best about where you live?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: What do you like best about where you live?

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote:My wife comes from a white bread kind of family. The first time she saw my family share a jar of pickled herring, I thought she was going to hurl.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a about to hurl than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain
Or something like that.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Innocent Bystander wrote:.......Rebellion Brewery just up the road....
Great little brewery. We regularly get their beers in at The Shoulder of Mutton here in Wantage.

What do I like about where I live? Great countryside (The Downs, The Ridgeway, Uffington White Horse) with great wildlife (Red Kites, Buzzards, Deer etc). Great pubs, great music, great friends, great neighbours, the quiet little road we live on close to the town centre.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Mary Hanafin Doonan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mary Hanafin Doonan »

Well, I have seen the fish in Michigan you speak of and more with it's wild weather on the lakes and clams too. Been to ancient glaciers, Black bears, Deer and plentiful birds with challenge of isolation. At times, kind waters which one must time for passage with all the 45 locks and the big chute marine railway lock in Canada. Through the New York river way's winding ways around small towns, somewhat sleepy and more lock systems. The Music festivals, wonderful food and flare of New England's charm. Rocking to sleep on the Atlantic reminds me of home... NY City going through the Hells Gate & East River.. NOT in traffic other then the water taxis is a true treat! Anchoring behind Lady Liberty and the lights of Manhattan which seem to never sleep. Or stayed up way beyond I and woke me early morning. Onward,the Eastern USA seaboard gaining a taste of it's ports down to Florida.. again.. Soon the Bahamas. Boat resting there while in Costa Rica. Have been to several SA places... Home,what I like? The freedom to hose off the anchor and go... My house is for sale w/ tenant, things in storage so where ever the boat can go is home. Some times.. once in awhile.. it catches up with me though. I left my gardens and sold my horse. My family, just fly or call on Skype but I get to thinking of (Digging) and perhaps..(my Twin) should be on solid grounds and settle down again? Just, have not found that new place, sooo,unlike Seamus pen, where ever the chart is, its home, till its not.

http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/se ... oems/12699

grass isn't always green... nor sea.. but sure is nice.
Mary
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I come from Belfast,but have been living in Brazil for around three years now.We live about 1 hour away from a city called Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais which is in the South east of the country.
Where we live is like a small town in the country and it's great.The people are very friendly and the views of the surrounding mountains are fantastic.There is also a family of Toucans that sometimes sit on the trees in our garden,they really are spectacular birds and when you are close to them they are very large.
I also love the botecos,which are informal Brazilian pubs where everyone has a cold beer and some snacks after work.The food here is supposed to be the best in Brazil,Comida Mineira.They have wonderful cheeses and some fabulous meat dishes too.
The weather is also a plus,coming from Ireland to here I had never seen so much sun!
There are some great waterfalls in the mountains close to us which are good to spend a day at,and Rio de Janeiro is only a 50 minutes flight away if you fancy a wild weekend.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

- Gobs of folk music
- Great local microbreweries
- It's relatively warm but there are still distinct seasons
- 2 hours to the mountains or the coast, depending on which direction you drive

Really, the only way I could like it better is if I were a college basketball fan.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

fearfaoin wrote:
Really, the only way I could like it better is if I were a college basketball fan.
I hear ya. Wolves, devils and tar. I can never keep 'em straight.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dwest

Post by dwest »

crookedtune wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:
I hear ya. Wolves, devils and tar. I can never keep 'em straight.
We even got tars here in Virginia plus a spare.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

been around a bit,
brewerpaul wrote:
emmline wrote:Other people like the water. It's nice and all, but I don't have a boat.
That's one of the many things I like about where I live. We're right near the confluence (love that word) of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers which offer many great flatwater paddles.
yeah, I live "in" the confluence of life and death... that existential stuff, womb-to-tomb, craddle-to-grave, but, happily close to water, Long Island Sound

boating anyone? http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/
dwest

Post by dwest »

ytliek wrote:

Not allowed. Image
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

dwest wrote:
ytliek wrote:

Not allowed. Image
oouch... but, I'm a newbie wannabee whistler!
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tug ... ORM=IDFRIR
Denny

Post by Denny »

'e's jess jealous, 'e is
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ketida »

I live in a very rural community, VERY rural. And at the end of a dead end road. The only people who find my driveway either know me or are hopelessly lost. My nearest neighbor is my brother, and I can only see lights from his windows in the winter when the trees are bare. Other than that, I see no lights at all. No street lights, no all night stores, nada. I do see plenty of stars, however! And although it does take more drive time for errands, I'm happy here.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I live in the midst of a redwood forest. I can't think of anything more wonderful than to be able to step out my front door and be in the middle of these ancient trees, surrounded by the scent of evergreen and bay.

I also live right at the edge of the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary. As a child who grew up inland, the ocean is an endless source of fascination to me. I don't think I could ever grow tired of seeing whales, dolphins, sea lions and sea otters in their natural habitat. Every day by the bay is a new discovery.

I love that our little city of Santa Cruz is so funky and off-beat. Downtown on a Saturday night is quite an experience!

I also love that that I can live in a very rural setting, and yet be in San Jose in a half hour or San Francisco in an hour and a half. Every now and then it's great to be able to experience the energy of the city...eat in a great restaurant, visit a wonderful museum, etc. I have the best of both worlds, and I absolutely love it!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Looks like I scared Ben away...
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Anyanka wrote:Looks like I scared Ben away...
Maybe he thought you were ravenous.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!