hanky panky

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Handkerchiefs for guys?

I am a male older than 50 and I carry a handkerchief
16%
I am a male older than 50 and I do not carry a handkerchief
35%
I am a male 50 or younger and I carry a handkerchief
10%
I am a male 50 or younger and I do not carry a handkerchief
29%
I'm female and just felt like casting a vote.
10%

Total votes: 31

emmline
antispam: No

hanky panky

Post by emmline »

When I washed Jeff's (my husband) khakis yesterday I discovered, in the pocket, a blue and white striped handkerchief. I was mystified momentarily, (he has no hankies that aren't white) until I recalled that I'd helped him make a quick change into those pants the day before, when his brother (who was taking him out to lunch) suggested it might not be a jeans & sweatshirt kind of place. But I'd forgotten to tuck a hanky into the pocket of the khakis. Obviously, brother had taken pity and handed over one of his own.

Daughter, 23, points out that no guys she knows use handkerchiefs. (They use paper tissues.) I thought about it and couldn't recall any guys I knew in H.S. or college being hanky users either.

Jeff (husband) is 64. His brother is 62. I am 50. (It is a great concession for me to say this, as my birthday is not actually for 3 days.) I am therefore hypothesizing that the hanky-toting era must have ended somewhere in the decade that separates the early crop of boomers from the tail-end, such as myself. At least in the U.S. Our cousins across the pond may have retained these niceties.
(Having a clean handkerchief was a line-item on my dad's childhood school report cards as I recall. He would be 78 if he were living, and he was evidently indoctrinated into hankydom early.)
Last edited by emmline on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Re: hanky panky

Post by Denny »

I do in summer or anytime that I'm wearing cargo pants had thus have enough loose pockets.

Used as a headband, tourniquet, bandage, purse, towel...

might have a shop rag also!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
osage59
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by osage59 »

""Daughter, 23, points out that no guys she knows use handkerchiefs. (They use paper tissues.) I thought about it and couldn't recall any guys I knew in H.S. or college being hanky users either...""

I'd have to really think about my demographic on this one, but I think your daughter is correct. I remember my father always had a handkerchief, but he was of that WWII generation. I do keep a bandana in my backpack, and tend to think about these odd pieces of cloth more when I am outdoors.

Perhaps the older generation (who were probably more outdoorsy than this one) reflexively kept a hanky around the way we keep cell phones around. And I think clothing does play a part. Men used to wear more suit coats (I think) which gave more pocket space. Let's not forget that not long ago TB and influenza were killers - which surely created generations of folks who were more aware of their expectorations!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I am 68, and, yes, I always carry a handkerchief in my front pants pocket. However, although I wash them frequently, when I pull them out in public, they are never quite pristine enough to suit my wife. That's one thing that I really didn't worry about when I was single.
littleblue

Post by littleblue »

Well I'm past college age, but closer to that than 50. I carry one if I'm exercising outside (running, hiking, biking, etc) and would carry a nicer one if I was dressed up, but I don't have one with me all the time. It's a recent thing though, I didn't do it when I was in school.
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

If a bandana falls into the same category as a hanky, then I do often carry one. That's the purpose I use it for, whether it's called a handkerchief or not. At 22 I fit right into that college age group. I will admit that most of the people I know think I'm rather odd for using it instead of the disposable tissues.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

47 and have always had a hankie (or indeed several when I'm out with the Morris). Not having kids I'm not 'down wiv da yoof' so don't know about what younger generations get up to. :)
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

kokopelli wrote:If a bandana falls into the same category as a hanky, then I do often carry one. That's the purpose I use it for, whether it's called a handkerchief or not. At 22 I fit right into that college age group. I will admit that most of the people I know think I'm rather odd for using it instead of the disposable tissues.
Kokopelli has nailed it. A handkerchief is (or should be) the size of a bandana. When you see images of pirates with cloths knotted around their heads, those cloths were handkerchiefs. It was large enough to improvise a sling for a broken arm.
Rationing and shortages during the early twentieth century shrunk this article to the size of a piece of origami paper. A proper handkerchief is a useful thing to carry about with you. You can improvise a shopping bag (and knot it onto a length of stick if you decide to leave home). It can act as a bandage, if necessary. It can cover a dead baby (see Dickens' "Bleak House") should this misfortune occur. It can be a loincloth in the case of trouser failure. A handkerchief is a useful article.

Despite that, I don't carry one. I think I may start, though. Meantime, I carry tissues.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I keep one on me. Few years back my wife sewed me up a few squares and I have used those since. I got into the habit when I was issued several in the army. Bandanas I use camping and most times when I'm out doors for additional coverage. Not for cleaning, but bandanas I use for sun protection. They are a bit bulky for the pocket though, so I use handkerchiefs that are a bit smaller to walk around with. Age under 40.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I always have a bandana and in the summer I also carry a small square pack-towel that I sometimes soak, wring out, and put inside my hat to cool me down and I carry a high UV Buff especially when working around or on the water or robbing banks and businesses.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

In the 1960s, my grandpa, Canadian of British heritage, always had a hanky. I used a hanky when I stayed with them, but back at home we used tissues.

These days, I'll use a bandana when hiking or out in the sun, but for my nose ... it's still tissues.

Happy birthday, BTW. Welcome to the decade. I hope it treats you well.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Tunborough wrote: Happy birthday, BTW. Welcome to the decade. I hope it treats you well.
Thank you. I'm planning on it.

Interesting. I surmise, based on this feedback and my mother-in-law's proclivities, that hanky-toting was most probably pushed hard upon her 4 boys as they were growing up. I will have to ask my younger brother-in-law who is 48.
dwest

Post by dwest »

emmline wrote:
Tunborough wrote: Happy birthday, BTW. Welcome to the decade. I hope it treats you well.
Thank you. I'm planning on it.

Interesting. I surmise, based on this feedback and my mother-in-law's proclivities, that hanky-toting was most probably pushed hard upon her 4 boys as they were growing up. I will have to ask my younger brother-in-law who is 48.
My hanky habit originated from my time in the Boy Scouts. Our scoutmaster, my future FIL, required us all to have hankies for assorted potential needs such as mentioned by Innocent Bystander.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Despite that, I don't carry one. I think I may start, though. Meantime, I carry tissues.
shouldn't you be carrying a towel?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Actually, thinking about this a bit more I only keep a hankie in my pocket to stop my keys rubbing my thigh. If I get a cold I tend to use tissues.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.