Reading

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reading

Post by Dale »

What are you reading?

I'll start.

Harry Crews, Blood and Grits.

Greg Bear, Queen of Angels

Next: Tom Drury's The Driftless Area
weedie

Re: Reading

Post by weedie »

The Asylum of Howard Hughes by Jack Real....
I'm only about 30 pages in at this stage and I'm enjoying it..Jack Real was a fellow aviator and was closely associated (by telephone :-? ) with Howard for the last 20 or so years of his life..
Next book to read is The House on Garibaldi Styreet by Isser Harel...The story of the hunt for the 'most wanted' nazi Adolph Eichman..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Charles Stross: "Rule 34"

William Gibson: "Idoru" (again).

Alex Bellos: "Alex's Adventures in Numberland" (again).

Marion Grace Woolley: "Angorichina" (She's a friend of mine).

Lean times as there are no bookshops in my local shopping areas. My wife has the Amazon habit, but I am not there yet.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm going to seem like such a nerd for this one ... Quantz.

But the soon, thank God, I'll be onto Edwin Drood. :)
dwest

Post by dwest »

Insurance policies, not sure if they're fiction or non-fiction. Any hints would be appreciated.
Innocent Bystander

benhall.1 wrote:I'm going to seem like such a nerd for this one ... Quantz.

The Puzzle Action Game book, the Photographer or the Flute Dude? (I'm guessing you don't mean the dinosaur cartoons...)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Innocent Bystander wrote:. My wife has the Amazon habit, but I am not there yet.
I buy almost all my books on amazon.com. Whey they started selling used books--my habit become much more intense.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I recently got an iPad and have started the Gutenberg thing. I've downloaded a few books that I like and followed the "Other people who downloaded this book downloaded these others." So now I'm reading a book by a Canadian woman (can't call up the name) whom a lot of Jane Austen fans like. She doesn't have Ms. Austen's subtlety, but so far it's a good read.

I keep Quantz (flute book) on my bedside table and pick it up every few months and read a few pages. More than that at one time and I lose interest.

Next physical book I'll read (other than the new Clementine book, which was released yesterday) will be Cast in Chaos, by Michele Sagara, due out next week.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I read incessantly, mostly escapist SF/Fantasy, but occasionally diverge. Like chas I've gone partially e-book and have been taking advantage of Guetenberg to re-read some of my old favorites. Recently read some of Ernest Bramah's Kai Lung books (fun pseudo ancient China from the outsider's perspective, no where near as good as Hugart's "Bridge of Birds", or many others. Still for the publication date a diverting read) and "The Importance of Being Ernest" (lots funnier in the theature as I recall, or maybe I'm just getting old). Now going back thru Dumas (starting with the "Three Musketeers" of course).

BTW another great source for free SF (though a bit biased towards the pro-military genre) is the Baen Free Library: http://www.baen.com/library/ . I've read most of what they have posted there and there are plenty of fun reads.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Patrick O'Brian 'The Letter of Marque' (again); Tom Devine 'To The Ends Of The Earth: the Scottish Diaspora'; Marquez 'Love In the Time of Cholera' (again); Margaret Visser 'The Rituals of Dinner'; Iain Banks 'Transition' (again)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I'm going to seem like such a nerd for this one ... Quantz.

The Puzzle Action Game book, the Photographer or the Flute Dude? (I'm guessing you don't mean the dinosaur cartoons...)
Flute. Fascinating stuff. Funny how many of the arguments seem so modern. It's full of things like "Know your audience", "choose your pieces carefully according to the situation" and "don't over-ornament or play too fast". I'm praphrasing with all of those of course, but that's the gist of what he says in various places.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Just finished Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Well worthwhile.
I'm about to start White Like Me by Tim Wise. I don't know whether I will like it or not yet.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My wife wants me to read David Sedaris next. He writes short stories. She says "Jesus Shaves" is one of the funniest stories she has ever read. She says "The Santaland Diaries" are funny too.

I have no skill finding books in a library. I have read all the books by all the authors that I know. Our librarians display interesting books among the shelves and I used to pick from those. I think that's the old school version of "Other people who downloaded this book downloaded these others."

My wife is a former librarian. She could live and eat books.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Dale wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:. My wife has the Amazon habit, but I am not there yet.
I buy almost all my books on amazon.com. Whey they started selling used books--my habit become much more intense.
An American friend of mine swears by http://www.swap.com. I haven't used it. I might get around to it. If they have a UK site.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Underworld by Graham Hancock
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire