Disaster Averted - But Just Barely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Disaster Averted - But Just Barely

Post by Tunborough »

For background reading on this, and a whole bunch of related issues, I highly recommend Our Way Out: first principles for a post-apocalyptic world, by Marq De Villiers. Optimistic, in a grim sort of way. He looks at what we have already accomplished in terms of conservation (more than you might think), and what we can still do, as well as the ins and outs of nuclear power, including the prospects for Generation IV nuclear reactors.

He also covers the issue prompting mutepointe's line of thought, but isn't proposing quite such a drastic approach. My approach was more subtle: our daughter is adopted. Something else I highly recommend.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Turnborough

You might also find some interesting info at Generation IV International Forum.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

mutepointe wrote:
chas wrote:what are the alternatives?
My personal scheme at the moment is trying to figure out a way to get rid of at least 5 billion people within a generation while at the same time (I can't never spell simotaneously correctly), shutting down or minimizing the pollution effects of all the stuff they leave behind, while ensuring that we have the right mix and location of professionals, artists, farmers, etc. who are not traumatized by the tremendous loss of life. And just so no one thinks I'm selfish, I'll volunteer just so I don't have to do all the cleanup. I'm thoughtful like that.
The people might take care of that themselves if they keep running out in the hurricane just to get on TV.
Charlene
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

And this would add some important nutrients for the marine ecosystem. That whole circle of life thing.

Reality TV may save the planet. Who would have thought?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:And this would add some important nutrients for the marine ecosystem. That whole circle of life thing.

Reality TV may save the planet. Who would have thought?
Nutrification is one of the greatest problems in marine habitats and tidal estuaries. It leads to the end of the whole circle of life thingy.