Some things are Over-rated. Pick your "Serious Illness Sin"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Which is just a "Serious Illness Sin"?

1. Pride
15%
2. Envy
23%
3. Gluttony
15%
4. Lust
15%
5. Anger
8%
6. Greed
No votes
7. Sloth
23%

Total votes: 13

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Some things are Over-rated. Pick your "Serious Illness Sin"

Post by mutepointe »

Everything gets hyped up. Some things just aren't that bad. Which of these do you think is overrated. One vote. revoting allowed.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Re: Some things are Over-rated. Pick your "Serious Illness Sin"

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:... One vote. revoting allowed.
I'm always revolting.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think anger is over rated. Nice short term buzz but hard to sustain, the other 6 are better.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:I think anger is over rated. Nice short term buzz but hard to sustain...
I dunno. I went thru years and years of my young adulthood being perpetually angry. Man, am I glad I got over that; when you're fixated on your own personal drama from the moment you awake to the instant you mercifully fall asleep, you are tedious to others, and being a bore is the worst sin of all. And what happened to change it? Why, even I came to see how boring my precious anger drama and I were. I still shudder to think.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Anger seems like a moving target that needed to be chased to me. A series of serial offenses that one has to constantly be searching for using up one and being unsatisfied moving to the next.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri May 13, 2011 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I think to a certain extent that Lust and Sloth are hardwired into our "animal" nature (perhaps Gluttony as well, but that could be a matter of specific definition). How that gets filtered out into our actions is another issue, but don't some of the elect believe that just considering a sin is almost as bad as commiting one?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Anger seems like a moving target that needed to be chased to me. A series of serial offenses that one has to constantly be searching for using up one and being unsatisfied moving to the next.
Right you are, and all the better for you to get that. The flipside is sort of the same thing: simply being angry, and the offenses to justify it simply fall into your lap. Of course you have to look for offenses, but you don't have to look far at all. A hair could be out of place, and you blow up. Next. But that's surface stuff. Often as not the real cause is that there's an underlying issue that's not being addressed, but we're veering into realms here that risk dabbling (and let's not) in what is properly the purview of psychological counseling. Fortunately - and me being contemptibly cheap - I didn't have to go that route. It just finally happened one day.

I do still get visibly angry now and again, but it's pretty rare, now, and it really surprises people when it happens. I'm always disappointed with myself afterward, thinking as I do that I could have done better than that. I pursue class over righteousness these days. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I could never get wound up enough to get angy. I always thought that was related to Pride though. And the nuns taught us never to look in mirrors. I always took great pride in never looking in mirrors.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:I always took great pride in never looking in mirrors.
Aha. Pride in humility: a many-headed beast. I think in my case avoiding mirrors beyond the day's necessary ablutions is not so much a matter of keeping from pride as it is one of survival: being confronted with my image is a depressing thing. And so we touch on envy. :wink:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Although it's not what I originally voted, I think "Pride" is seriously overrated as a sin. (I have a soft spot for lust...) Pride may be a contributing factor, but never the fundamental one. You can accuse anyone of pride. That's why the accusation is so pernicious. It's always valid - inverse pride in humility as a case in point - and it is effectively a smear. It also creates an environment where you keep your head down, conform and don't ask questions. Pride should not be a sin at all.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I like to work with people that take pride in their work.
I don't like to work with people that take pride in other people's work.
Humility seems to be the knowledge that helps one distinguish legitimate pride from false pride.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I can't decide between lust and sloth, and now that IB has pointed it out, pride. Lust is where babies come from, so given the world population problem, I probably wouldn't vote for it. Any cat owner knows that sloth, or "cat", shouldn't be a deadly sin. I'm pretty active, but a nice laze now and then is wonderful. Pride isn't necessarily bad, as long as you have something to be proud of. I'm very proud of some things I've done.

It's all moot anyway. As Ellen DeGeneres said, "The wages of sin may be death, but after taxes, it's just kind of a tired feeling."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Except for gluttony and sloth most of the others seem like they don't need any real action. In the book 1984 they would be "thought crimes" if such things were deemed ungood.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Successful predators and omnivores need greed, lust, anger, gluttony, sloth and even envy to survive. This sounds like something a bunch communal sheep herders and farmers would come up with, certainly not a good hunter gatherer.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

dwest wrote:Successful predators and omnivores need greed, lust, anger, gluttony, sloth and even envy to survive.
Like a pride of lions?