Everybody has an end of the world prediction but us

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Everybody has an end of the world prediction but us

Post by mutepointe »

I've based my whole financial plan on the Mayan calendar. I'm buying presents for everyone on credit in November 2012. Please tell me what you want. Now there is some May 2012 prediction. Why don't we develop an end of the world prediction to gain some notoriety for Chiff & Fipple?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Anyanka
antispam: No

Re: Everybody has an end of the world prediction but us

Post by Anyanka »

As far as I understand, the apocalypse begins on 21 October 2011, when all the righteous will be whisked away in the rapture. The rest of us will have to endure all the usual trials & tribulations associated with endtimes, until it all finally comes to a screeching halt on 12 May 2012. I may have got the dates slightly wrong. Therefore I'd like my present NOW. Just in case.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Why don't we develop an end of the world prediction to gain some notoriety for Chiff & Fipple?
Because we're quite notorious enough already, thank you for asking. But do what you gotta do.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

If we're quick not to come up with date than we'll have more time to think about it.
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

There's some group around here (the San Fernando Valley) claiming that the world is going to end THIS MONTH. Feel free to send me a low D whistle right away so I can learn the piper's grip and enjoy playing it before my world disintegrates.

EDIT: My bad. I checked their website and they say that judgement day is coming this month but the world won't end until October. You can still send that whistle my way now in case something happens to me on judgement day.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Niether of these two end of the world predictions guarantee that I won't have to make credit card payments.

I like dwest's idea to ensure plenty of time. There is no reason to give a specific date. A sign that could need to be interpreted could help us there. I like the word "smite", let's try to fit that into the prediction somewhere.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

kokopelli wrote:There's some group around here (the San Fernando Valley) claiming that the world is going to end THIS MONTH. Feel free to send me a low D whistle right away so I can learn the piper's grip and enjoy playing it before my world disintegrates.

EDIT: My bad. I checked their website and they say that judgement day is coming this month but the world won't end until October. You can still send that whistle my way now in case something happens to me on judgement day.
The thing to remember about the San Fernando Valley is the San Fernando fault zone, the end could come any second and one day somebody's going to get it right.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

dwest wrote:If we're quick not to come up with date than we'll have more time to think about it.
Or will we?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

mutepointe wrote:I like the word "smite", let's try to fit that into the prediction somewhere.
It's getting smitey hot around here. Where there's smote, there's ire.
Pfreddee

Post by Pfreddee »

I especially like those prophets/sites/texts which advise laying in a six-month supply of food and water in preparation for the end of the world! :lol: :-? :boggle: :tomato: :shock:

With best regards to everybody.

Pfreddee(Stephen)
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

mutepointe wrote:I like dwest's idea to ensure plenty of time. There is no reason to give a specific date. A sign that could need to be interpreted could help us there. I like the word "smite", let's try to fit that into the prediction somewhere.
Since this whole forum community is based around whistles I think that should be part of the sign that the end is near. Perhaps a whistle that will play itself?

Before we throw the word "smite" around we must figure out what will do the smiting.
dwest

Post by dwest »

kokopelli wrote:
Before we throw the word "smite" around we must figure out what will do the smiting.
Smite means to injure with bovine power so I think it will be an unhappy cow from Cowafornia.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Don't worry, folks. We have more than a year to get prepared. I have it on the best of knowledge that the world isn't going to end (pardon my nationalcentricity) until Donald Trump becomes president of the USA.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I like the whistle that plays itself idea. I would like to be the one doing the smiting. But no trials or tribulations for me though, I've had plenty.

smite [smahyt] Show IPA verb, smote or ( Obsolete ) smit; smit·ten or smit; smit·ing.

–verb (used with object)
1. to strike or hit hard, with or as with the hand, a stick, or other weapon: She smote him on the back with her umbrella.
2. to deliver or deal (a blow, hit, etc.) by striking hard.
3. to strike down, injure, or slay: His sword had smitten thousands.
4. to afflict or attack with deadly or disastrous effect: smitten by polio.
5. to affect mentally or morally with a sudden pang: His conscience smote him.
6. to affect suddenly and strongly with a specified feeling: They were smitten with terror.
7. to impress favorably; charm; enamor: He was smitten by her charms.
白飞梦
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

dwest wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Smite means to injure with bovine power so I think it will be an unhappy cow from Cowafornia.
There are no unhappy cows here. The cheese commercials said so!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samAvQjg ... re=related