Earth Day

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Earth Day

Post by dwest »

Happy Earth Day.
Whistlin' Will
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Earth Day

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Interesting that it coincided with Good Friday this year.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Whistlin' Will wrote:Interesting that it coincided with Good Friday this year.
Gaia is the reason for the season.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Ironically, I have been cutting down trees like crazy today. Well, bamboo stalks. I don't know if they are considered trees or not. I have also been stomping out their sprouts where I don't want them to grow. I did plant some flowers in the garden though, and the vegetable seedlings are looking beautiful.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
dwest

Post by dwest »

pipersgrip wrote:Ironically, I have been cutting down trees like crazy today. Well, bamboo stalks. I don't know if they are considered trees or not. I have also been stomping out their sprouts where I don't want them to grow. I did plant some flowers in the garden though, and the vegetable seedlings are looking beautiful.
Bamboo is a grass, now ya sure it isn't Arundo donax? Ya don't want to be cutting down perfectly good reed material.
chas

Post by chas »

From Mutts today: "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" -- Native American proverb
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chas

Post by chas »

pipersgrip wrote:Ironically, I have been cutting down trees like crazy today. Well, bamboo stalks. I don't know if they are considered trees or not. I have also been stomping out their sprouts where I don't want them to grow. I did plant some flowers in the garden though, and the vegetable seedlings are looking beautiful.
The only way you'll get rid of it is to dig up all the roots, too. I lived in a house where my back-yard neighbor had bamboo. It was always coming up in my yard. Often it would grow several inches in the week between law mowings. No way to go barefoot in the back yard. Eventually he dug it up.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

It is a sad commentary of modern times that green activism is listed as one of the top domestic terrorism threats by the Department of Homeland Security. Genetically modifying plants or spraying poisons on food plants is OK when done by money-hungry corporations. Protesting such activity is seen as domestic terrorism with large sums of public money used to monitor and prevent such activity. What we need is a genuine Earth Day and not a phony one.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:Happy Earth Day.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Baker: "Man, what a slow day. No customers!"

Employee: "Boss, there's a hive right outside the front door. No one can get through."

Baker: "All right, attention everyone! We have a problem. Stop what you're doing, now. We have to get rid of the bees! Get rid of the bees! ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nyuk.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

dwest wrote:Bamboo is a grass.........
Yes, of course its a grass. Just as a tomato is technically a fruit although functionally a vegetable for most, bamboo is technically grass but functinally a timber for most.

The question could be hot socio-political issue
http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/b ... e-or-grass
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Dere be wun ting in all de world
without him no-can-do.
No savvy what dat wun ting be?
Bamboo!

That's as I remember it. I'd be grateful for the correct words and spelling.
I prefer to celebrate the original Earth Day as proposed by the Japanese, on March 21st.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Dere be wun ting in all de world
without him no-can-do.
No savvy what dat wun ting be?
Bamboo!

That's as I remember it. I'd be grateful for the correct words and spelling.
I prefer to celebrate the original Earth Day as proposed by the Japanese, on March 21st.
I believe the first Earth Day proposal was from John McConnell to celebrate his birthday March 22nd. Somebody decided to have it a day early to surprise him.

talasiga wrote:
dwest wrote:Bamboo is a grass.........
Yes, of course its a grass. Just as a tomato is technically a fruit although functionally a vegetable for most, bamboo is technically grass but functinally a timber for most.
Botanist prefer to call it a grass because it is and it has no secondary xylem so it is not wood, for botanists that has absolutely no impact on it's importance in it's native ecosystem nor the human economy nor my use of it in the manufacture of split cane fishing rods or my flute, nor my harvesting of it off US federal lands where unfortunately it has become a serious non-native invasive pest.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Politicians and lawmakers are not a good source of definitions for words.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."