Game of Thrones

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jleo Fipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

"Game of Thrones" theme, - Green version.

Post by Jleo Fipple »

cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by cowtime »

I love Game of Thrones and I normally don't like fantasy-type stuff at all. Only by the persuasion of my husband, did I start in on the thing about three episodes into the first season. I ended up watching online, with the computer to help figure out who was who. When the first season ended I went out and bought all the books. I love the books, love the show. There are so many interesting characters- but I must admit my favorites are Arya Stark and J'aqen Hagar (the faceless man).

The opening credits are fascinating each and every time I see them. Whoever thought that up deserves a raise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6R7LB_NVyc
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

pipersgrip wrote:Anyone else going to watch that tonight? I am a sucker for the geeky things in life.

If you don't know what Game of Thrones is, it is this: an upcoming American medieval fantasy television series created by David Benioff and Dan Weiss for HBO. The series, based on author George R. R. Martin's best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels, chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among noble families for control of the Iron Throne of Westeros. (I stole that from wikipedia)

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

I think it will be worth the watch, and I look forward to seeing it.
AKA "bread and circuses"

I did observe that a live medieval joust was better than football - the swords are real .. the rules are to "try not kill anyone" .. but that will pass as the bread gets less than the circus.

Why look at it through a little square? Go get it for real. It is the murder of the soul. Our most precious wine. There are prizes for the finest vintage - just make it public.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

cowtime wrote:I love Game of Thrones and I normally don't like fantasy-type stuff at all.
Cowtime! Image
[OT] I think of you whenever I hear the timpani. Do you still play? [/OT]

but I must admit my favorites are Arya Stark and J'aqen Hagar (the faceless man).
I have a special interest in Daenerys because we have some things in common

I wear a dress just like that when I turn my emu eggs in the incubator.

I do feel nervous about the recent entrance of these "Unsullied" guys.

I don't want Dani to get involved with them. They remind me of these guys

the Cybermen (from Dr. Who) -- they're basically a brain in a box -- they have purged away their compassion, their sexuality, everything but their soldier hive-mind.
Sounds a lot like the Unsullied. Ugh. I have a bad feeling about this..... !!!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I do play timpani once in a while, when I feel the need to BEAT the heck out of something, but most of my playing is now on oboe- evil thing that it is. In a perfect world I would play oboe until I couldn't take the frustration and then switch to timps. :evil:

I admit to liking the dragons also....kinda hard to beat dragons for a surprise. In fact, in the first season when she was sitting in the ashes I literally yelled "DRAGONS" right before they appeared. (It didn't dawn on me until then what was going to happen) You must be really fashionable to have that egg turning garb too. I hope the chicks appreciate your efforts.

You describe the Unsullied perfectly. They are just an example of the weird things that pop up in these books. Not to worry, Danerys and the Unsullied get along just fine. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

cowtime wrote: You describe the Unsullied perfectly. They are just an example of the weird things that pop up in these books. Not to worry, Danerys and the Unsullied get along just fine. :D
Spoiler! (That's ok...they were reminding me of the Cybermen too.)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I have not seen the show, nor read the books. But last night I attended a panel on conlangs with David Peterson, creator of the Dothraki language. Other panelists were Paul Frommer (Na'vi) and Marc Okrand (Klingon). An interesting discussion, with many behind-the-scenes insights into the respective productions.

http://ling.ucsd.edu/docs/events/hollywood.html
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:I have not seen the show, nor read the books. But last night I attended a panel on conlangs with David Peterson, creator of the Dothraki language. Other panelists were Paul Frommer (Na'vi) and Marc Okrand (Klingon). An interesting discussion, with many behind-the-scenes insights into the respective productions.
That is both the coolest and nerdliest thing I've heard today.
And I work with Engineers.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

fearfaoin wrote:That is both the coolest and nerdliest thing I've heard today.
And I work with Engineers.
I know ... isn't it, though? I'd estimate at least 350-400 people in attendance. A total nerd-fest. And the opening address was delivered entirely in Esperanto.

Here's proof that Marc Okrand, Dr. Klingon, is now my new best bud. Apparently, being around him (or maybe around Klingon) also makes me look very sleepy. lupDujHomwIj lubuy'moH gharghmey!

adamdavies
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by adamdavies »

Got hooked on this as soon as I was done with Walking Dead. Another addictive TV series.
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

ketida

Post by ketida »

Doesn't anyone else have a public library where you can borrow entire seasons with a library card, which only requires your name & address?

I wasn't interested in Game of Thrones when it started but my grown children raved about it so much I looked for it at my local library. Now I have caught up on every season, have even watched some whole seasons twice, and have found other premium cable series (Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, etc) available just for the asking. OK, so maybe you don't always get it immediately, depending on the demand, but for the cost (FREE) I'm willing to be patient.

Love my library.

Oh, they have music CDs, too!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

ketida wrote:Doesn't anyone else have a public library where you can borrow entire seasons with a library card, which only requires your name & address?
Man that would be cool. I forgot how nice that was when I lived in MD.
The person in charge of Raleigh's libraries thinks that libraries are just for books.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I stumbled upon this video not too long ago. It is what GoT would look like if it was made in the 90's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The night is dark and full of terrors. But this beer is delicious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DwhVGCySkc

I'm going to order a round of these for everyone at our next session. Should make for some great craic!