Idol

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Idol

Post by chas »

What's up with American Idol? I thought this week's show (Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame) was one of the best, if not the best ever. Then the result was one of the worst ever. There are now two women and six men left. The teenage-girl vote must be really overwhelming this year.

I swore I wouldn't watch this year, but my daughter insisted, and my wife concurred. I'm getting over the Jennifer Lopez gag reflex and greatly enjoying Steven Tyler's goofiness. The talent this year, though, has been better than any year I've watched, and I'm glad I was browbeaten into watching by my family.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Re: Idol

Post by emmline »

Yeah, basically.

Same sort of reaction to Tyler. The fact that he says little of constructive value is offset by his goof factor. But--on that note--there seems, in general, to be vastly less "criticism" this season versus all 3 judges finding slightly different ways to say "you did great" every time. Randy adds a hint of dissent now and again, but I miss a bit of balance.

Yes, not a good outcome last night. There are a couple mediocre (relatively speaking) guy singers who must be moving ahead on the teen girl squad vote. It may be that after so many seasons, those of us who are sufficiently jaded just hang back and watch without the enthusiasm to push those text buttons, whereas the boppers are fresh and in prime texting form.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I like the new judging panel because it creates so much more of a positive vibe. Tyler says goofy things, but he's lovable. And I know nothing about the music or career of Jennifer Lopez, but I really like her, she's warm and supportive. Instead of a doper and a parasite and Randy, you now have three working musicians. I like 'em... diffrent strokes, etc. Also, the band is not nearly as good without Ricky Minor. They scaled it down, though they have had very good backup singing this year.

Yes, shocked at result, but then I was a Pacific Rim citizen rooting for Thia, because I think the US is too racist yet to realize what Asian comportment is, or to appreciate it. That girl brought tears to my eyes. I dunno, maybe she sung in too many Filipino singing contests and got all Imelda-torchy. In my world, Pia and Thia would have made it to the last top three. Thia was just starting to really come into a variety of voices when she was eliminated.

With Pia, the best singing voice is gone. But she has obvious self-image problems and in a way, she is like a 50s singer, born too late. I think she didn't reach people in a good way, but her shyness was almost painful to watch.

But to me, this has been a down year, voice-wise, and a big year for caricatures and antics. How that scrapy-voice guy is still up there (McDonald) is beyond me. Casey has gotten better but I still don't buy the growly character thing. I think Haley, for all intents and purposes, comes off like a lichen star or a pole-dancer and I don't like her, viscerally. Lusk is over-the-top ala Glambert, but not as talented and more of a drama queen (hard to believe, but that Man in the Mirror comment was ridiculous. I don't buy the two first-name girl , her voice is screechy. Scotty is growing on the spot and I hope he stays for a while. He's a bit awkward onstage though...

I dunno, the whole year is about back-stories and compassion. Yes, the Tourette's kid is inspirational and he has the hearts of many of us (and he's a local for us out here), but he's not good enough to be the winner, yet it's looking like he will be. Frankly, I think Casey is a bit better as a singer.

There are no grounded people in the bunch. Stefano is stuck with a karaoke-corny image, a la Tickle Me Elmo (Archuleta) but is not as lovable. Who's left on the par with Underwood, Clarkson, Glambert, McPhee? NOBODY.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
NeonVomit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by NeonVomit »

Pia was just too Image to really get everyone going. I mean, great voice and all, but come on, enough with the power ballads.

Casey is probably the best all-round; great voice, great confidence and really talented. James' range is insane, and his confidence is also inspiring (plus I am going to be inclined to support anyone who sings Judas Priest) but Casey has the edge. He'll take risks and push the boat out. Scotty is great at his country thing, but so far he's made everything he sings sound country. I'm too drunk to remember anyone else at the moment.

Yeah generally really good standard this year, completely wipes the floor with the X-Factor over here in terms of sheer talent.
Stealing ideas from one source is called plagiarism. Stealing from several is called research.

Check out my band, Winter's Verge. Not for the faint-hearted.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I don't watch Idol, so I'm not going to read this thread but if something interesting happens here, please PM me.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas

Post by chas »

I also agree that Thea might have been the one to beat if she'd hung around for a few more weeks. She has a great voice and had shown incredible growth. I was happy when Pia did something upbeat, but evidently the voting public preferred the power ballads, because she was voted off when she strayed from them. My impression is that she never developed a connection to the audience, always seemed to be concentrating on singing perfectly at the expense of showing feeling and emotion. I think Casey is too unusual for the voting public, as evidenced by his having been voted off once already. It seems that maybe that was a wake-up call for him since he's been a lot more under control since.

I loved Naima's personality and stage presence, but her vocals were always pitchy and sometimes painfully so.

My household all think James is the one to beat. I'd disagree with Weeks, in that I think maybe James doesn't have as good a voice as Adam, but he has what Adam lacked, which is judgment and restraint. He doesn't try to get every vocal trick into every song he sings.

I'm still bummed that Thea and Pia are gone, though. There's definitely some dead weight that was more deserving of being jettisoned before them.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My wife likes Idol, so, guess what, I watch a little of Idol too. Some very good singing this year, I agree, and I like the new judging panel. I don't miss Simon at all, but Stephen's bare chest is not doing anything for me, either. Although at 63, women seem to think that he is very sexy. I don't have much confidence in the wisdom of the American voting public. They seem to get it wrong over and over again, and it upsets me to watch it take place. It reminds me of the painful experience of having the voting public recently choose a lesser candidate for U.S. president two times in a row. I couldn't believe it, but it happened.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I don't normally watch American Idol, though, like most folks in the Santa Cruz area, my interest has been piqued by the fact that we have a local boy in the bunch.

I saw Pia briefly, and my only thought was "In 10 years, that girl will have no voice left at all." The way she was forcing the sound through her vocal folds was painful for this singer to hear. I know that's the style these days, but it still hurts...these people have such talent, but they tear away at their vocal apparatus every time they open their mouths!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chas

Post by chas »

Are you sure you're not talking about Hayley? Pia has had extensive training, she's a graduate of the Bronx School for the Performing Arts, so has been taught how to use her voice properly. My wife pointed out that you get a much better idea of just how good her voice is when she sings in the group songs -- so much more polished and powerful than anyone else. She's also remarked that Hayley sounds like she'll lose her voice before too long.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, I think Pia knows how to sing freely without damage. She has a very Italian talent for singing with a big voice (it mystifies me that ethnic stereotypes are realities in this regard, but it's undeniable, just like so many great Irish singers). I hadn't thought about it too much with Haley because I usually turn the sound down and get a snack or something whenever she's on because I can't stand to watch her p@rno prancing. Lauren seems to go in and out of vocal control and gets quite screechy at times. I don't care for her at all and I am mystified that she's still in it. I keep thinking "you had to be there" with her and others.
chas

Post by chas »

I generally pipe the sound through my stereo. It's very different from the sound of the TV. If I find the contestant's stage act distracting, I close my eyes. You might want to do the same with Hayley. She has her moments, like last week, but is horribly inconsistent. I'm with you, I have no idea what Lauren is still doing up there.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

chas wrote:Are you sure you're not talking about Hayley? Pia has had extensive training, she's a graduate of the Bronx School for the Performing Arts, so has been taught how to use her voice properly. My wife pointed out that you get a much better idea of just how good her voice is when she sings in the group songs -- so much more polished and powerful than anyone else. She's also remarked that Hayley sounds like she'll lose her voice before too long.
I dunno...the one I'm speaking of is the one who was voted off last week, and I have to say, she was really belting. You could see the muscles clenching in her throat.

Sad to say, not all "trained" singers are trained well...or take well to their training. This gal was definitely forcing the sound.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, she was singing and crying at the same time after she got bumped. Nothing like her normal performing style.
emmline

Post by emmline »

As I type, Hayley is growling "Call Me."

I'm kind of disappointed that there are only 2 girls left, but I'm equally disappointed with the 2 girls who are left.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, I just have a visceral reaction to that girl (Haley) and can't be objective. To me, she is constantly selling sex and I ain't buyin' it when the other kids are singing their hearts out. She seems like the phony we all hated in high school who conned some adult man to give her her way.

And I just think Lauren is just not together and not getting better. She must be exciting in person is all I can figure, based on crowd reaction.

It will be all men, unless they rig the show. I think Casey or Durbin will win, but Scotty fires my imagination; the idea of a pure country Idol (Underwood, to me, is equal pop to country) is intriguing. I thought Casey was better than ever last night, though I still don't buy the klown-growling thing he does as anything of interest or value.

Lusk has to go. He's a talented mess. I seem to be in a minority, but I think Stefano has what we use to call soul. I loved his performance last night. I don't see him winning, yet the case could be made that he is the best male singer left.

McDonald goes tonight, I hope. Unless they repeat the voting pattern and dump Stefano.