Question re FAFSA (for college students/parents)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Question re FAFSA (for college students/parents)

Post by Redwolf »

OK, I'm going stir crazy.

My daughter is applying for her first year of college, and I'm trying to fill out the federal financial aid form FAFSA (the people at her school have been telling me "Do it NOW. Don't wait until you file your tax return!"). The trouble is, they need information from...you guessed it...my 2010 tax return (things such as adjusted gross income) and I haven't even gotten the first W2 yet! I can't see any way to submit that info later, and the "help" feature is less than helpful (it is, after all, a government site).

Can anybody out there who's been through this give me some guidance?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Re: Question re FAFSA (for college students/parents)

Post by avanutria »

It's been a long time since I filled one out, but this says "If you have not yet filed an income tax return, complete and submit the FAFSA using estimated tax information."
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:It's been a long time since I filled one out, but this says "If you have not yet filed an income tax return, complete and submit the FAFSA using estimated tax information."
I decided to go ahead and use 2009s numbers as an estimate. I guess I'll have to go back and correct once we prepare 2010.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a job that will pay for the rest of it (one that doesn't require me to work on Sunday mornings!)

Redwolf
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Don't you have your last pay stubs from 2010 and your last bank statements from 2010? Bank statments should be available electronically. That should have most of the figures you need.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

mutepointe wrote:Don't you have your last pay stubs from 2010 and your last bank statements from 2010? Bank statments should be available electronically. That should have most of the figures you need.
We don't get pay stubs...Tony's checks are direct-deposited.

Redwolf
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

So are mine, but I get a pay stub in the office anyway. Maybe his HR or Payroll office can give him his.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My checks are DD too but I still get in the mail a check stub thingy. I didn't realize that this wasn't true of everyone.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I did mine for last Spring semester in December (a month before the beginning of the semester), and I did Terrence's this summer for the Fall semester. While it's certainly easier to have it done early, it's definitely not mandatory. They get you all stressed over such silliness. I seriously doubt if you get it done by February, after you've filed your taxes, it would make much of a difference.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

izzarina wrote:I did mine for last Spring semester in December (a month before the beginning of the semester), and I did Terrence's this summer for the Fall semester. While it's certainly easier to have it done early, it's definitely not mandatory. They get you all stressed over such silliness. I seriously doubt if you get it done by February, after you've filed your taxes, it would make much of a difference.
Evidently it's a matter of funds allocation. You're more likely to get a generous slice of the pie if you get in there early.

And given where my daughter's applying, we definitely need a generous slice of the pie.

In answer to the pay stub question, no...we don't get anything in hard copy. Evidently it's available on-line somewhere, but God knows where.

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

My fourth year of doing FAFSA's and this year, I have to do two. And having been laid up for the last month and a half, I am behind.

My payroll person at work gives me an unofficial W-2 right after the first week of the year and I work off of that. I use a professional tax preparer and I schedule my appointment as early as possible. I finish the FAFSA on the same day AFTER that appointment, usually the first Saturday in February. That's how I do it. Remember, the online app saves partial info so its a work in progress.

The first year is always the hardest. Just remember:

Drain your bank account so you look poor as possible. Pay your property taxes, whatever. It's too late now, but make sure your children's savings is in a 529 or withdraw it and transfer to an adult if you can because they want 20% of their savings, versus 5% of the parents.

It's a cruel game, but frankly, people who work hard and save truly get nailed for tuition. Flakes like me who chased music and never saved get the best deal. Of course, there are later consequences, but at least my kid can go to the UC as painlessly as possible.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote: It's a cruel game, but frankly, people who work hard and save truly get nailed for tuition. Flakes like me who chased music and never saved get the best deal.
I noticed that at the time. I don't mean the flake part, but I'll take your word for it. :wink:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The Weekenders wrote:My fourth year of doing FAFSA's and this year, I have to do two. And having been laid up for the last month and a half, I am behind.

My payroll person at work gives me an unofficial W-2 right after the first week of the year and I work off of that. I use a professional tax preparer and I schedule my appointment as early as possible. I finish the FAFSA on the same day AFTER that appointment, usually the first Saturday in February. That's how I do it. Remember, the online app saves partial info so its a work in progress.

The first year is always the hardest. Just remember:

Drain your bank account so you look poor as possible. Pay your property taxes, whatever. It's too late now, but make sure your children's savings is in a 529 or withdraw it and transfer to an adult if you can because they want 20% of their savings, versus 5% of the parents.

It's a cruel game, but frankly, people who work hard and save truly get nailed for tuition. Flakes like me who chased music and never saved get the best deal. Of course, there are later consequences, but at least my kid can go to the UC as painlessly as possible.
It's perhaps fortunate, then, that thanks to years of having to pay private school tuition (grades 2 - 6), we've never really been able to save much (in fact, the school pretty much ate up our savings, and nibbled away at the annual income as well...but we really had no other choice at the time). Actually, it was a bit of a calculated decision, as we knew that there would likely be some financial aid for college, but there's no tuition help for kids who can't function in the public elementary school system. We figured we'd be helping her more by giving her five good, happy, solid years of foundational education.

I'd (maybe) be a little less panicked right now if she weren't hoping and praying to go the the Academy of Art University in SF...an absolutely perfect place for her, I must admit, but pricey as all get out.

Redwolf
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

I've looked up the tuition rates; about the same as I paid for my school. It can be done. Drill it into her that she will be getting a part time job in her freshman year, and teach her to budget. It's easier to get into the whole "working while a student" thing if you start freshman year, and usually there's enough of a slow start to the term to make the adjustment manageable. Let me know if you want any of my tactics for putting oneself through college; otherwise this will be the last unasked-for advice you get from me on the matter ;)
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:I've looked up the tuition rates; about the same as I paid for my school. It can be done. Drill it into her that she will be getting a part time job in her freshman year, and teach her to budget. It's easier to get into the whole "working while a student" thing if you start freshman year, and usually there's enough of a slow start to the term to make the adjustment manageable. Let me know if you want any of my tactics for putting oneself through college; otherwise this will be the last unasked-for advice you get from me on the matter ;)
Any advice greatly appreciated! I put myself through college, with a little help from Uncle Sam, but that was many moons ago, and I had lots of work experience at the time (she's never held a job)

BTW, she got the letter today...she got in! She's over the moon! It was her first choice.

Redwolf