finally gots me a new (old) house

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

finally gots me a new (old) house

Post by flanum »

after years of dithering through the whole celtic tiger years and being told every week tht i should be buying NOW..NOW... i gave up.. and thought id never actually own my own gaff... now in midst of recession aged 40 i finally bought a house... (albeit very small semi bngalow... ill post pics next week when i eventually get hacking the overgrown stuff away etc..).. im happy.. at last!!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: finally gots me a new (old) house

Post by talasiga »

congratulations flanum!
its a great feeling isn't it?
to warm a newly bought old house
with music practice, garden dreams
and, if one is lucky, with babbling, wailing
and laughing littlies ......
:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
emmline

Post by emmline »

A small new old house sounds like a winning accomplishment to me!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Congratulations. Small houses are a trend that the McMansion lovers just can not appreciate. (Our friends' children occasionally ask us why we have such a small house. We tell them this is all the house we need.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

Congratulations. It's the size of the workshop/studio that really matters. I say the workshop needs to be big enough to build a twenty four foot canoe. The wife claims the studio needs to be big enough to have three floor looms set up at the same time. Right now the workshop is two poly tarps outside in 30°F weather and an 8°F windchill. The studio is the biggest bedroom with one floor loom surrounded by shelves holding 15-30lb spools of yarn floor to ceiling.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Congratulation, Flanum, on getting a home of your own. I hope that everything works out for you.

I grew up in a small 2-bedroom house. My two brothers and I shared a small room. We were content, not knowing anything else. However, when I look back on it now, it feels like we were sardines in a can, not having much personal space.

My wife converted the upstairs family room of our present house into "her" room. We have new steel shelves going to the ceiling full of wool yarn for rug hooking and knitting. Of course, the yarn must all be sorted into brightly colored cloth baskets and arranged just so so. I have most of my machine tools in the unfinished basement along with piles of junk that is currently in storage but ought to be given or thrown away. I have two large plant tables with plant lights overhead where I grow my special plants. I also have a washer and dryer and two old-fashioned concrete laundry tubs, where I water sand my pvc flutes, in between my laundry duties. I've never had a basement before. It's a little dark and damp, but I like it.

I don't know how long we are going to have the luxury of having this old house to ourselves, just my wife and me. I'm having premonitions about my wife's 38 year old daughter moving in with her family. Oh well, there goes my retirement savings. It's either give them a car and pay their rent and groceries or have them move in with us. It's a hard decision.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I don't think that you should be mentioning
Doug_Tipple wrote:I grow my special plants.
on a public forum :o
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Doug_Tipple wrote: I have two large plant tables with plant lights overhead where I grow my special plants.
Mine are in the attic, lights are on a timer, hauling the water up is a bear. It's worth it for the flowers.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

thanks all, i took today off work to get at it!! i spent an hour with the stihl hedgecutter makin a path for me to get in (its been empty 2 years) then i spent about an hour looking for the water mains stopcock.. it was th far side of the road waay up further than i thought... thanks neighbours for the help in that one!! (thank god ive moved back to where my family are from and i feel like ive come home, and the neighbours have made me feel welcome)!! (they were a bit worried when they heard the house was sold ... they hadnt a clue who bought it but they were relieved when they found out it was one of the mcgowans!! i hope i dont let them down)!!! anyways... after a hard day, i eventually got all water in, tanks and pipes full, fire lit circulation pump back running, rads bled and hopping off walls (im in love with the stanley range) .... the house is now breathing again with a full heartbeat... it truely is a living entity.. i now have two tails and i dont know which one to wag!! i feel like the king of ireland!!! slainte folks!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

you have a Stanley Range ? i'm mad ragin' jealous .
make sure the turf is dry , and don't be puttin any of that ould smokeless coal in it.
Best Polish Coal , your only man.

and best of all , you are home, nice feeling, good neighbours,
well may you wear it.
agus go maire tú an céad ann.
weedie

Post by weedie »

Yes Flanum,congrats on the purchase of your new home..
Little homes are cool....we've just bought a little house on the coast...after living in a largish house on 15 acres of land a bit inland..
We were there for 22 years,raised two kiddies and had a great life .........but.......things change and its time to move on sometimes..
When we walk into the house after being out for the day or whatever,we always say " Hello little house " ...and its a nice little house too.
We could'nt be happier and wish you all the best .........
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....