The Irish Money Famine

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The Irish Money Famine

Post by chas »

The great part is that the USDA is giving away cheese and encouraging (paying) farmers to make more cheese. But at the same time, the USDA is telling people to lay off cheese because it's got a lot of fat, so farmers are being paid to make more cheese, but the USDA has a huge stockpile of it because they can't give it away (literally) because of their own policies.

They really want to have their cake and not eat it too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I remember when the USDA American-made cheese was given to the poor. ...
Ah, Raygun's unfit-for-human-consumption government cheese! That was more a bailout to a politically-influencial industry lobby group than it was aid to the poor.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

The "welfare cheese" that I remember being given out was when I was a kid, long before Ronald Ray-gun-zah. Around here that cheese was only given to the poor, many who could easily turn it into cold hard cash. On "give-away-day" that cheese was highly prized because it was very, very good cheese and couldn't be bought in stores. People who didn't get that cheese were regular buyers from the recipients.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Here's something on Ireland's money woes:

http://www.safehaven.com/article/19125/ ... -with-love
Also, http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. ... erous.html

Am curious how this unraveling is affecting instrument makers and performers over there. Though its not much better here. Orders have slowed way down and everyone is trying to offload instruments (similar to houses).

Casey
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
trill

Post by trill »

Denny wrote:Might as well go have some CHEESE.
"Git off me cheese !"

Denny

Post by Denny »

:boggle: I wonder when someone changed that for me....

Not that I remember what I said, but that doesn't sound like me.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Denny wrote:History was made to be transmorgified.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Casey Burns wrote:
Am curious how this unraveling is affecting instrument makers and performers over there. Though its not much better here. Orders have slowed way down and everyone is trying to offload instruments (similar to houses).

Casey
Well, I can't answer about instrument makers (might ask Joe Foley about it next time I see him) but I know that a lot of the paying sessions in Dublin are closing. For instance the afternoon gigs in Oliver St. John Gogarty's have closed down; a couple musicians I know have been affected by this. I have also heard of musicians getting pay-cuts for regular gigs, I know a few people who do a gig on a Saturday night which I think has been lowered from 60 Euro to 50 Euro, I'm not entirely certain on that though. That's not a big cut but it adds up over time. I also know a guy who opened up a pub earlier this year and had to close it within 6 months because they weren't making any money. From what I have heard he still owes the staff money. There was also a pay-cut for musicians from 50 to 40 Euro; I was actually looking to get a gig here because a friend of mine and his brother were doing one over the summer. His brother goes to college in Limerick so he had to go back for the year. I managed to do one gig for him, right after they lowered the gig money, and then the next week the place was closed.

My regular gig on Wednesday nights in O'Donoghue's is still going strong but then again we get f**k all money for it as it is; they aren't going to be lowering that bey 10 Euro because that is half the pay! I also know a number of people who are trying to sell instruments with no-luck. I know a piper who has been trying to sell a set of pipes for a good 4 months and a banjo player who has een trying to sell a banjo for at least 2 months.

Now, with this big snow things are only going to get worse. I was watching the news last night and they said the affects of the snow are costing the country up to 100 million Euro a day. :shock:

Well, I came to this country to go to college for trad music and I am in my final year of that. I can't imagine I will be sticking around here after this year, I will be on the next flight back home to the states after this. My attitude wouldn't be too different from a lot of people my age in this country only they were born here. Immigration culture is coming back to Ireland in these harsh economic times. :cry:
Denny

Post by Denny »

crookedtune wrote:
transmorgified?

I's bein' transmorgified inta paranoid....
trill

Post by trill »

Denny wrote:
crookedtune wrote:
transmorgified?

I's bein' transmorgified inta paranoid....
hmm.. is it transmoRGrified or transmoGRified ?

Let's consult one authority....

Denny

Post by Denny »

too late Image