Fashion Items that Need a Comeback

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Here's my choice. When I was a teenager, I had a few T-shirts made out of terrycloth. They sold them in stores, sold them for years but I never saw anyone but me wear one. I liked them. They were soft and absorbent. Usually yellow though. One day, they were no more.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Fashion Items that Need a Comeback

Post by Innocent Bystander »

When I was a teenager I worked in my father's Drapery shop. I have no recollection of terry-cloth Teeshirts, but we did have terry-cloth polo-shirts. It's a while since I've been in the milieu, but they are short-sleeved shirts with soft collars and two or three buttons. The neck-opening goes no lower than the breastbone. Maybe they call them something different today. I still have three or four in my cupboard-drawers.

By gum, they were comfortable and convenient! Just a little warmer than plain cloth. And as you say, yellow seemed to be the popular colour. One day they disappeared. A mystery!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

of course....ceased to exist, I'm afraid....joined the dodo :(

http://www.google.com/search?q=terry+cloth+polo+shirts
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Denny wrote:of course....ceased to exist, I'm afraid....joined the dodo :(

http://www.google.com/search?q=terry+cloth+polo+shirts

Oh, yes... I see that Orvis, at least, claims to have "reinvented" the terry-cloth polo-shirt.
So it must have been missing for a while, there. :poke:

Mute has the right idea. He's just not quick enough off the mark in this instance.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

probably became endangered back in the 80s, almost extinct in the 90s....

I think there's a Fashion DNA storage unit somewhere in New York state.
Upstate....I bet Izz know where it is.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

That's a fancy shirt. Mine was a basic solid colored T-shirt. Here is a link to another site and the red and black horizontal strip is the closest to what I had.

http://www.rustyzipper.com/mens/shirts/terrycloth
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I had a velour shirt, like a polo but maybe looser, with a zipper for the closure from mid-chest to neck. I think it had a rolled collar of some sort. It was cool and I took my fourth grade class pic with it. Unfortunately, during playground skirmishes, my friend grabbed it and tore it. I was heartbroken.

I would like to see surfer tees come back. They had just a few very wide horizontal stripes of either blue, green or red, against white.

everybody should wear hats again due to skin cancer worries, and not just gimme caps. They didn't when I was a kid, it goes back further, but it sure would help out here. They are coming back to an extent. Most of the illegal and legal Mexicans that are from rural areas are wearing cowboy hats, LA casual fashionistas often wear artificially crumpled straw cowboys hats as well. And the enviro-green urban oldsters and Boomers wear Tilleys and other brimmed wilderness hats along with their liberal walking stick sets.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

None. Form should follow function, not fashion. Style and custom should adapt to function and that function should not be just style and custom.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I.D.10-t wrote:
None. Form should follow function, not fashion. Style and custom should adapt to function and that function should not be just style and custom.
Buzzkill.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Buzzkill.
Contrast and compare:

Image Image
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The Weekenders wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Buzzkill.
I find more beauty in traditional clothing and what their function was within the environment than I do some designer's fetish clothing. Look at WWII clothing in the US. Practical, make do clothing that was safe in a work environment. After that, abundance and impractical crap to prove one's prosperity through waste. Look at the history of British clothing being spread through different climates. Flowing cool garments being replaced by suit and tie. Modern fashion is always changing because it is not suppose to last, it is all designed to fail, either by built in wear out features, or trendy fashions.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Then what would we, the nonfunctional, wear?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Interesting question.

This also led me to wonder about what IS "functionality". For example...

...is its design useless? This is the Swine Flu Jacket, which says "Don't stand - don't stand - don't stand so close to me." Here, of course, our model is demonstrating the more civic-minded aspects of wearing the jacket as a warning to others' benefit when you're chock full of bugs. But one could wear it proactively if one is in the bloom of health yet worried about other people being nasty dirty vectors, too. Which is not very sociable, is it, but still that use should appeal to some rather hysterical types.

Either way we can see in the pic that its intended effect isn't working this time. But it's not like they weren't warned.

Continuing the theme, sartorial ward-offery doesn't have to be dull and Soviet:

Add the following, and the now-fashionable yet still prophylactic ensemble's complete:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

I've been the USA trend setter for out-door fashion chic for longer than I can remember. I have no knowledge of these terry cloth shirts but I find the idea quite revolting. Reminds me of something I'd hang on my dish towel rack, if I believed in dish towels.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:I've been the USA trend setter for out-door fashion chic for longer than I can remember. I have no knowledge of these terry cloth shirts but I find the idea quite revolting. Reminds me of something I'd hang on my dish towel rack, if I believed in dish towels.
Hmm......you could dry your dishes on yourself if you wore one of those. No misplacing the towel or dropping it on the floor.