Help! Need cat advice

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help! Need cat advice

Post by Paul »

I am at my wits end and y'all are about the smartest bunch I know so here goes:

I have a 10-11 year old cat named Daisy. She is very sweet and I have never had a moments trouble out of her - until now...

I recently had MiniMaids come in and clean my house up. The cat box is under a bathroom counter with the door facing the wall so my dogs won't get into it. One of the maids shoved the damn catbox all the way in against the wall and Daisy was unable to use it for a few days. By the time I noticed what had happened she had found a new place to do her business in the sitting room off my master bedroom.

I immediately cleaned up the mess and corrected the litter box situation. I then showed her that the box was back in place.

She instantly resumed using the box for number 2s but she has continued pissing on my rug in that spot in my sitting room and she won't stop. Mind you I havent done anything to try and stop her because I have no idea what to do.

Anyway if any of you have any ideas on what will stop her from pissing on my floor and get her going back to her box I sure would appreciate it. Right now I have shut her in the master bathroom where her litterbox is. Its a really big bathroom so she's OK for now but I would love her to re-join the family as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Paul
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Help! Need cat advice

Post by Nanohedron »

First of course is, if you can, catch her beforehand and set ther down in the box to do her business. I would speak kindly to her and would pet her too for positive reinforcement, if she's okay with that. If it's necessary, keep a gentle hand on her chest to discourage her from jumping out and to let her know that it's important to you that she stay until she's done doing what she ought to be doing there and not elsewhere.

Offhand the next thing that comes to mind for easy-access cheap indirect solutions would be mothballs laid on the area she's been using (but, mothballs = yuck). Or maybe fresh unused dryer fabric softener sheets. While I've never used those for cats, I know for a fact that they will repel mice, so it can't hurt to try. And they smell better than mothballs.

The only thing about the above is that while mothballs do work, she may simply transfer her attentions to another area. It's impossible to say. So, physical but kind reinforcement in getting her to know you want her to use the box again and that it's okay to do so is key, I think. And I would recommend this hands-on approach as soon as possible and for as long as it takes, because shutting a cat away is emotionally hard on them; it's a forced ignoring, and they usually don't really understand why it's happening. Making a point of physically putting her in the box, especially at the right time if possible, is something she can understand.

Cats are usually smart enough to get the idea with a little directed encouragement. She probably thought that there was a new toidy regimen afoot and tried to adapt as best as she knew how.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Ditto to all of the above but has the area she used been really cleaned, the rug machine washed/dry cleaned, the floor scrubbed with white vinegar solution? If there is even a slight scent pool she may still think it is OK.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:If there is even a slight scent pool she may still think it is OK.
This is true.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Paul,
You need to eliminate their scent at the location she is using inappropriately, as that attracts her back. Use an enzyme stain and odor product such as "Nature's Miracle", widely available at pet stores.

If she continues by finding other inappropriate locations (rather than just a return to a single area), then consider the possibility of a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and visit the vet.

Maybe you can set a small unobtrusive spacer to maintain the box distance from the wall so the maid situation can't recur.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Thank you all very much for your thoughtful replies. :) I have been shampooing the carpet but not with natures Miracle. I have now done that and used some vinegar in it. I put the mothballs down around the area too. I really had no idea about mothballs and vinegar but it makes a lot of sense. I am hoping that since she's crapping in the box already that she will get the idea... The spacer idea is a really good one. I have some wood in the basement now I just need to go saw off a short piece. I don;t think I'll be having the maids back for a bit though. It's kind of expensive.

Thanks again, y'all and all the best.

Paul
Denny

Post by Denny »

There's a lot of cats that like house plants. The bigger, more expensive, the better!

I'd bet that you don't have any house plants.... :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:There's a lot of cats that like house plants. The bigger, more expensive, the better!

I'd bet that you don't have any house plants.... :wink:
Hey, maybe stand a celery in the cat box.
Denny

Post by Denny »

oh look!!! a palm tree!!!

sure :D that'll work
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:oh look!!! a palm tree!!!

sure :D that'll work
Oh, so maybe what....standing a catnip up in it should be better? I have just made a thought experiment, and trust me: your cat will roll around in the litterbox like a shameless whore - the image of me luxuriating on a bed of money comes to mind - and then traipse brightly back into the living room with gravel and even funner stuff ground into his/her fur and dropping bits on the way. Hey, Roadkill Zombie! Yeah. Charming.

Uh...best save that one for Hallowe'en, yeah?
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, One cat's palm tree is another dude's catnip?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:ah, One cat's palm tree is another dude's catnip?
Now we're getting deep.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'll have to leave you to it, I'm back to work.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Dunno. I seem to be out of fabulist mode. Might be because the full moon's over with.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I can second something like "Nature's Miracle." You can buy it, and other similar products, at any pet store or vet office.

Please don't use mothballs. They're toxic...if she happened to eat one, it could be goodbye kitty.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!