Help! Need cat advice

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Help! Need cat advice

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:Please don't use mothballs. They're toxic...if she happened to eat one, it could be goodbye kitty.
A good concern, but have you ever seen a cat react after curiously sniffing at a mothball? It backs up fast and puts on a face of real, unmistakable revulsion you don't normally get to see on a cat. I really don't think there's much chance at all of a cat noshing on mothballs, much less going near, once it has met them.

Nevertheless I wholeheartedly agree that any solution that's nontoxic is always to be preferred. That's partly why my first recommendation was direct, communicative, guiding behavior. The main reason, though, is that I'm all about that approach without even thinking about stuff like mothballs. Those are a last resort, for instance if there's only me, and my job requires that I have to be away for a good part of the day and the direct approach hasn't sunk in yet; or, if there's a cat owner who for some reason just doesn't understand cats, IMO it's better to go with the mothball solution in that case than the owner yelling at the cat or worse, and frightening it - or worse - when the poor thing can't possibly understand why it's even happening. To me things like mothballs are almost the same as admitting defeat, but if you have to do something and it works, it works. But I would never recommend them in any other wise. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

It would be nice if Paul would come back and let us know if this is now resolved. Otherwise, I'd still consider getting kitty to a vet to check for a Urinary Tract Infection. The cat may be able to hold it all the way to the box for poop, but not for pee, if there's a UTI.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Hey again! Yep it seems to have worked. At first I put down too many mothballs and the smell just about drove me away LOL. So I cut waaaaay back on them. She is using the litterbox again. Thanks again for the help.

PS Redwolf, Nano is correct. I don;t think any kitty would ever eat a mothball. Same with dogs. Down here people put them in their flowerbeds to keep dogs from doing their business on them. I had forgotten all about that until Nano mentioned it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Paul wrote:At first I put down too many mothballs and the smell just about drove me away LOL. So I cut waaaaay back on them.
Oh, I'm sorry, man. My bad. If I had thought it through I should have told you that even just one might have done the trick in some cases. Kinda late now. I guess I wasn't thinking. But, the nice thing is that at least you can pick 'em up and get rid of what you don't need.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician