Something I did not know-A thread by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Something I did not know-A thread by Dale Wisely

Post by Dale »

The 1964 concert, The T.A.M.I. Show. featured performances by The Supremes, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, The Beach Boys, Gerry and the Pacemakers and a set by James Brown which some believe is among the top few best concert performances ever. Following James Brown were the Rolling Stones. Keith Richards later said that agreeing to follow James Brown was the most miserable career decision the band had ever made. Also performing were The Barbarians, whose one-song performance was weirdly ahead of its time, sort of proto-Ramones.

I knew all of that.

What I didn't know was the house band, known collectively as The Wrecking Crew, was under the musical direction of Jack Nitzsche, and included drummer Hal Blaine, electric bass player Jimmy Bond, guitarists Tommy Tedesco and Glen Campbell, upright bassist Lyle Ritz, and pianist Leon Russell.

(James Brown and Glen Campbell on the same stage. Later, of course, they would compete for Worst Celebrity Mug Shot of All Time.)

There's also a little troup of go-go dancers on stage for several numbers. Among them, actress Teri Garr and choreographer Tony Basil.

As you were.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Something I did not know-A thread by Dale Wisely

Post by Denny »

so, uh, you like have the DVD and you watch it how often?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Denny wrote:so, uh, you like have the DVD and you watch it how often?
Leave me alone, Denny. I'm watching the DVD again.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I'm still trying to get over Teri Garr and Toni Basil as Go-Go Dancers.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Watched this a few weeks ago.
Was impressed at how weak and contrived Mr Jagger seemed, after the dreadnought power-squealing and enduro-dancing of Mr Brown.
Mr Wimpy Vs The Volcano.

I'm not a big fan of either...now that the decades have intervened.
But it was a fascinating contrast.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Dale wrote:
Denny wrote:so, uh, you like have the DVD and you watch it how often?
Leave me alone, Denny. I'm watching the DVD again.
What, so I should cancel the Amazon order already?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, they have been showin' parts of it on Pledge Night on PBS. Very, very interesting to watch, but it was weird how they dissed Chuck Berry with Gerry and the Pacemakers, doing his own song.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The Weekenders wrote:Yeah, they have been showin' parts of it on Pledge Night on PBS. Very, very interesting to watch, but it was weird how they dissed Chuck Berry with Gerry and the Pacemakers, doing his own song.
Yeah, that was a peculiar feature. The director of the show says, on the DVD commentary track, that Chuck Berry refused to go on stage until he was paid in advance either in cash or with a money order. The concert was a Sunday, but somehow they managed to pull together the cash and pay him.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

And, furthermore, if you want to see a miracle, get the DVD and just watch the Beach Boys perform "Surfer Girl" and remind yourself it's a live, uncut, real-time vocal. Unbelievable. Two months later, or so, he has a nervous breakdown and doesn't perform again on stage with the Beach Boys for years and years.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

A-Musing wrote:Watched this a few weeks ago.
Was impressed at how weak and contrived Mr Jagger seemed, after the dreadnought power-squealing and enduro-dancing of Mr Brown.
Mr Wimpy Vs The Volcano.

I'm not a big fan of either...now that the decades have intervened.
But it was a fascinating contrast.
Jagger was never trying to sound like James Brown, let alone compete with him—except perhaps in certain aspects of his early stage act. Jagger sometimes sounds a bit like Chuck Berry and sometimes a bit like Arthur Alexander. Does he fail in those terms? Is he a failure for even trying? (Remember how many black guys—very good singers—sounded more than a bit like Sam Cooke.)

And since when has sounding wimpy been a defect in an R&B singer? Think of Jimmy Reed and Slim Harpo. Or the hordes of Nat King Cole soundalikes including Charles Brown and (amazingly) the very early Ray Charles. Think of just about every early doo-wop group.

Someone once said that Jagger always sounded like he was singing in 'quotes' although I think he got more mannered over time rather than less—an irony since that stance is more to be expected in someone doing covers.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Perhaps my impression was more toward the physicality of the two performances.
After the extreme primal athleticism of Brown, Jagger seemed a bit tepid. Almost wobbly.
Like comparing apples and marshmallows?
In the day, I preferred the Stones to James Brown.
Seeing old performances is fascinating.
Time and change.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

A-Musing wrote:Perhaps my impression was more toward the physicality of the two performances.
After the extreme primal athleticism of Brown, Jagger seemed a bit tepid. Almost wobbly.
Like comparing apples and marshmallows?
In the day, I preferred the Stones to James Brown.
Seeing old performances is fascinating.
Time and change.
Yeah, I see your point. Back then the Stones came across to parents as threatening. But the focal points, Jones and Jagger, looked and moved like what they were—English art college students—and nothing like the American soul and blues greats who were the source of their music. Of course, back then, running off with an art student was just about the worst fate you could imagine for your daughter, going by parents reactions to me. (I was actually an Arts student, but in the confusion of the initial introduction, the 's' seemed to go missing.)

By the early 70s, Jagger was maturing into his 'adult' stage persona—the aging queen. Some queens get better with age—witness Noel Coward—but I don't think Jagger did. And the music seemed to have little to do with the character, unless you believe the rumours that Jagger harboured unrequitted love for Richard. OK, I'd better stop before I say something actionable.