Bravura 'deep history' nature writing

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Bravura 'deep history' nature writing

Post by s1m0n »

I'm reading Mark Cocker's Crow Country, a book about his obsession, rooks, as well as the other other british corvids. However, I'm moved to post the following passage cuz of the effortless swath he cuts through time and distance from the far asian steppes to his own beloved Norfolk. Good nature writing should do this.
The rook's adaptation to feed in open grassland habitats free of the choking cover of trees means that, like myself, the species is almost certainly an incomer to the Yare valley [Norfolk, UK]. Their original home was probably somewhere on the open plains of Eurasia, and rooks are still more Asian than European in their distribution. They occupy vast swathes of the Mongolian and Manchurian grasslands, right to the outskirts of Beijing and the shores of the Yellow Sea. To the west they've conquored the immense oceanic expanses of Russian and Asian grassland from about 160° E to a point half a world away on the Baltic coast.

[...]

As a consequence of their origins, rooks inhabit for me a secondary but similarly vast imaginative space. They open those dark eloquent wings like a great story book, conjuring the steppe landscapes and human hordes trekking forever westwards - the Cimmerians, the Scythians, Samatians, Alans, Huns, Magyars, Bulgars and Mongols. Mingled with the rolling craa notes is the sounds is the sound of horsemen with their stocky short-legged ponies straining against the chafe of leather on sweat. Somewhere in the the dark-brown iris of a rook is the faintest trace of its ancient journey out of inner asia.

In Western Europe the unbroken wildwood of the early Holocene, which developed in the retreat of the last ice sheets, would have been an inpenetrable thicket to an invading bird of the open landscape. Rooks were dependent upon the westward spread of stock grazing and cereal agriculture from their original middle Eastern settings to make their own entry into Europe. So when you next pass a rookery remember to stop and listen. Among thespring-summoning cacophony you'll hear the faintest echo of a Neolithic axe.

~from Mark Cocker, Crow Country
Last edited by s1m0n on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dwest

Re: Bravura 'deep history' nature writing

Post by dwest »

I'm just sorry rook shooting has declined so much, my grandfather's rook rifle hardly ever gets used anymore, no more brancher pies. Oh well, at least all the barley for beer is being protected by the organo-phosphates that are killing the little buggers. Of course I haven't seen a rook in the states in decades. Really more of a daws man myself.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

A "rook" is what we in North America would call a "raven," right? It's solid black like a crow, but is larger and smarter than a crow.

If I'm right about what you mean, then we have LOTS of rooks where I live. I think it would be nearly impossible to get through a whole day without seeing or at least hearing one. They are one of the handful of bird species that are year-round residents here in interior Alaska. We get lots of migrant bird species that pass through here in spring and fall, the most numerous being geese (mostly Canada geese) and sandhill cranes.

In a previous job, my office was on the top floor of a building that the ravens/rooks used for rest breaks during their courting behavior in late winter. They would fly around right outside my window, looking like they were going to come straight in the window, and at the last minute swoop upward and land on the roof above me. I enjoyed watching them.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Rooks and Ravens aren't the same thing. The closest rooks to you are across the water in Siberia, although that's a different subspecies from the one he's writing about. You might see the odd stray.

The UK has both but they're very different birds. Their raven is the same species as ours, and is a bigger bird - about 150% of the size of a rook. Rooks are a strictly old-world bird.

More or less in scale:
Image Image

Local parts of NA might have applied the name to their local crow population. Crows are our most rooklike species but they're a great deal less social. Rooks are like Quebecers: they do everything en masse.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

and then there are the corbies.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRusm23 ... re=related

And thanks, Simon, I will look out this book!
dwest

Post by dwest »

s1m0n wrote: Rooks are like Quebecers: they do everything en masse.
Years ago I watched an Oxford film about rook populations in England. The film followed a "study" that was trying to find out why rook populations seemed to have very little fluctuation. A group of gunners went in and basically annihilated most of a colony, an easy thing to do because of their social nature, then they evaluated the colony the following season when it appeared there was no change in colony size. Really great science. :moreevil: :boggle:

Growing up a friend of mine shot a crow one day, his grandmother being a sensible woman who didn't care for killing just for killings sake made him prepare and eat the bird. He became a good field biologist who hasn't shot a crow since.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

I love that book, Simon. Thank you for reminding me that I must re-read it. We have many rookeries here and I have watched the rooks with far more enjoyment since reading it the first time.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

dwest wrote:Growing up a friend of mine shot a crow one day, his grandmother being a sensible woman who didn't care for killing just for killings sake made him prepare and eat the bird. He became a good field biologist who hasn't shot a crow since.
Yeah for Grandma!
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

You'll also enjoy "Corvus" by Esther Woolfson. She has lived with various corvids, including a magpie called Spike, and she writes like an angel.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corvus-Life-Bir ... 1847080294
b
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

brianholton wrote:You'll also enjoy "Corvus" by Esther Woolfson. She has lived with various corvids, including a magpie called Spike, and she writes like an angel.
b
Thanks you - I'll keep an eye out for it.

C.S. Lewis
dwest

Post by dwest »

s1m0n wrote:
brianholton wrote:You'll also enjoy "Corvus" by Esther Woolfson. She has lived with various corvids, including a magpie called Spike, and she writes like an angel.
b
Thanks you - I'll keep an eye out for it.
If ya find it give us all a caw. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Multiple sets of eyes have a higher degree of success.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician