Cat ear itch

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Cat ear itch

Post by s1m0n »

Besides being talked about in another room, what can make a cat's ears itch? Mine is pretty interested in being scratched inside his ear. If I hold a finger out, he'll twist his head round until my finger's right inside his ear. In a dog, I'd look for signs of ear mites, but there's nothing I can see like that with him. What else can cause this, or is it normal?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jsluder

Re: Cat ear itch

Post by jsluder »

Wax and dirt. The cat may just need to have its ears cleaned.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

yeast? Use an otic cleaner
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

Could just be wax and dirt, as jsluder says. Ear mites, as you note, also cause this - is the cat scratching his ears when you're not doing it for him? That could be a sign of mites, and if the infestation isn't too bad yet you may not see much outward sign. If you see the classic black or brown buildup that resembles coffee grounds, mites are a good bet. My parents' cat, years ago, had a yeast infection in her ear that caused itching, too.

If you see the cat scratching or shaking his head a lot even when you're not rubbing his head, you may want to have him checked out. Otherwise, he may just like your touch on his waxy ears . . .
chas

Post by chas »

I've never had a cat that didn't like its ears scratched. (I try to stay on the outside.) I always thought it was just a pleasure center. I've always been able to tell when a cat has ear mites, too, the scratching is uncontrollable. When I was a kid, our cat had mites and scratched so wildly he gave himself a cauliflower ear. Nothin' like looking down and seeing a cat whose ear is twice as thick as it is broad.

Most cats also like having their ears rubbed (ear flap between your thumb and finger); I've heard this is their way of hearkening back to the days when their mothers groomed them. Our current cat wasn't weaned properly, and she especially loves to have hear ears rubbed.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Probably just likes it unless--as was said--he's doing odd things with his ears when you're not scratching him. Usually with mites or whatnot the cat will hold its ears funny, like sort of flatten them, or make the two non-symmetrical.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Mites is possible but the beastie would be doing his own scratching. Check it out with the vet. The solution to mites is easy and your pussycat will be all the calmer for it!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yep, check for harvest mites. Cookie used to love having his ears cleaned, and he were full of - well, you don't want to know. He wasn't the cat that had harvest mites. She had balding ears.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Cats with ear mites will typically have black ear-mite poop in their ears.

If she isn't scratching them herself and her ears look clean chances are she just enjoys it. In my experience it would be un-cat-like for her not to enjoy it.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

After I retired from teaching, I decided to work for a vet for about a year and a half. I learned that cats can get some very nasty yeast infections in their ears. The signs present just like ear wax, but are not. The cats do not like these infections at all, and will scratch at the outside of their ears, down near the base of the ear, and lower. Medications are available that take care of the situation in about two weeks.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
dwest

Post by dwest »

Yeast infections are more common but apparently mites have a higher yucky neat gross factor that makes the possibilty of having them much more exciting to discuss.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided that the cause is likely pleasure rather than pathology, because there's no sign of offensive goo or obsessive scratching.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Late to chime in, but I have another such a cat who presents her ears for cleaning every two weeks or so. I'd say that she has more wax buildup than most cats. Each time the vet has looked, she says "everything is fine". So I think the cat just likes having ears cleaned from time to time. Between times, there is no excessive scratching-that's quite unmistakable.

Hugh