The BEHEMOTH Everybody on the Forum is (or has) a Cutie-Pie

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-11-04 00:37, Kim in Tulsa wrote:
"I am in need of a wax ring, <b>Babycakes</b>."
Hi Kim,

What is a wax ring? Is it some kind of waterproof washer?

cheers, Martin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Man, I wish I worked in Kim's hardware store. Then not only would that cutie-pie call me babycakes, but I could ponder on the fact that she actually knows what to do with a wax ring, and she's a smartass! That's my kind of woman!

Martin, you're right. A wax ring is a kind of waterproof washer. A giant one that's used as a gasket when a toilet is attached to the floor. Next time you're installing a new toilet, contact Kim for advice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim_mc on 2002-11-04 06:37 ]</font>
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I almost forgot: I think it's cute when a waitress (waitperoffspring, or how about waitbeing) or clerk (female) calls me "hon". And I much prefer to be addressed as "dude" rather than "sir" by young men. But I can see where some might take offense.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim_mc on 2002-11-04 06:38 ]</font>
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-11-04 06:31, jim_mc wrote:
I could ponder on the fact that she actually knows what to do with a wax ring,
We just re-did our bathroom. Formally it was painted lime sherbet green and had dark emerald green carpeting. I especially found the carpet revolting. So a few weeks ago I just reached down and tore out the carpet. Then we painted it a nice cream color and laid vinyl flooring, which required removing the toilet.

http://public.fotki.com/2jedismom/bathroom_pictures/

K
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Carpeting in a bathroom makes me cringe!

Kim,
Which kind of wax ring did you buy?
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-11-04 10:27, Tony wrote:

Kim,
Which kind of wax ring did you buy?
The one that they had tons of at Lowes. Boxes of them sitting around. I barely looked at it.

K
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

First rule of home ownership in one bathroom homes: utility dept.
ALWAYS have one or two of those around (wax rings). They're cheap and last forever and on the sad day you have to pull the bowl to get the sock or the truck out of the inside, you can put the thing back on and get back to normal life.

Signed, veteran parent Weekender.

PS what WAS the topic anyway?
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

On 2002-11-04 06:31, jim_mc wrote:
Martin, you're right. A wax ring is a kind of waterproof washer. A giant one that's used as a gasket when a toilet is attached to the floor. Next time you're installing a new toilet, contact Kim for advice.
If one used that for the beeswax mouthpiece on a Didgeridoo, would it be a didgeri-doo-doo?
Music and songs were part of a cowboy's life. It is said that a trail boss would never pick a fellow that could not sing or whistle.
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-11-04 10:27, Tony wrote:
Tubedude's joke makes me cringe!!

K
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

"Waitress"? Did I hear someone say "waitress"? Hey guys...here in PC Santa Cruz, you could get LYNCHED for that! They're "WAITS!" (no, I'm not kidding)...or, in some places (typically classier places, with some sense of just how absurd calling someone a "wait" is) "Servers" (when I see that, it always makes me wonder if I should offer a tip to my ISP).

Redwolf
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

On 2002-11-03 17:35, Redwolf wrote:
You know, the more I think about it, the happier I am that I don't play the mandolin. Can you imagine trying to rename THAT??? :wink:

Redwolf
How about "short bouzouki". 'Scuse me, that's VERTICALLY CHALLENGED bouzouki!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Kim, you'd have a tough time in
New Orleans. Men, upon first meeting
women in polite company, routinely
say 'How are you, babe?'
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I'm enjoying this thread quite a lot and thought I'd weigh in.

I don't admit this to everyone, but I grew up in the Deep South--north Alabama--and still have family there. Going back for a visit is like time-traveling back about 20 years. My folks are still struggling to get used to using a word other than "colored" for um, people of color. I am routinely called "sugar" by elders or strangers, which I take without offense to mean "you, to whom I wish to be friendly, whose name I don't know or can't recall at the moment."

An interesting place, with some of the best and worst people on the planet--people who will fiercely defend you and share their last bowl of grits to people who will lie politely to your face and evicerate you behind your back (a neat trick, anatomically speaking).

All this reminds me of the line in the old book <i>The Virginian</i>, spoken by Our Hero when an acquaintance greeted him with a vulgarism: "Smile when you say that, partner."

Cutie-pie? Been called worse.

Marguerite
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I lived in the South (North Carolina) for 10 years, before returning to California, and sometimes I miss it sorely. I never minded being called "sugar" or "hon," and the sound of a tidewater accent can take me straight back to some very happy times.

"In my mind I'm gone to Carolina...".

Redwolf
jim_mc

Post by jim_mc »

I have to revive this thread to tell all you cutie-pies that I had need of a wax ring this week. 'Enders knew what he was talking about. Luckily we have 3 toilets in the house, so it wasn't so urgent. The only bad part is that somehow I took a huge gouge out of my index finger while re-seating the damn thing and now I'm having a hard time both typing and playing the whistle with the bandage. Kids.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!