The BEHEMOTH Everybody on the Forum is (or has) a Cutie-Pie

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The BEHEMOTH Everybody on the Forum is (or has) a Cutie-Pie

Post by The Weekenders »

Equal time even if it aint really exactly true.

Been here in CALIF too long cause the original thread (about JessieK) caused me to wince in anticipation from inevitable feminist reaction. They "hiss" in Berkeley in movie theatres etc when such utterances occur.

You just cant say anybody is cute really around here. And to add a diminuitive...hisssssssss.

Not me, just reporting what goes on here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2003-02-26 19:53 ]</font>
Last edited by The Weekenders on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Santa Cruz is just as bad (not surprising...some call us "Baby Berkeley"). My daughter goes to school with a girl who can't stand to hear her say the word "chick" (as when she refers to her black motorcycle jacket as her "biker chick" jacket)...just freaks out whenever she hears it. Jo just rolls her eyes...even at age 9, she has no use for the "political correctness" police.

As for me, I'll take a compliment wherever I can get it :wink:

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Redwolf is a cutie-pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I was waiting for a backlash myself. Odd how the three of us all express the same thought, and we're all from the bay area.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Blackhawk and Weekenders are cutie-pies too!

I think, being from the Bay Area, we too often see "political correctness" carried to its most absurd extremes. Heck, I even get it in church (people absolutely freak if you use a masculine pronoun for God these days, and all of our hymns have been altered to make them "inclusive," with decidedly unpoetic results). I stand out for insisting on using the traditional words for prayers (and have repeatedly threatened to go back to saying the Nicene Creed in Latin if they do any more tinkering with it!).

I saw an ad the other day for a traditional music performance (not Irish particularly...different cultures and instruments). I was excited until I saw that the group only does songs and stories by women or featuring women as heroines...seems we can't even enjoy an evening of traditional music and stories these days without an agenda.

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Red: When I was aspiring to get on the California Arts Project grant gravy train (where they recompense ya half for doing assemblies and performances) I became aware of the growing trend toward saleable politically correct music/theatre projects deemed worthy of granting. You either go completely ethnic (anything but Euro, that is) or do a gender switcharound.

My gold rush group is the closest thing to an authentic reenactment of those days in terms of costumes, research and performance but we have lost many of our jobs to a Lesbian duo that dresses as men miners and learned songs from the songbook that we publish. Never mind that at the earliest part of the Gold Rush the men outnumbered women 10 to 1.. True story. I confronted the Oakland Museum about it (they use pages of our songbooks in their curriculum packages that they sell to School Districts) about it and they were transparent about it.

The highest absurdity of this stuff lately that I have seen is a page taken out of a California 4th grade Social Studies textbook. Its a full-page drawing entitled "La Vaquera." Its an authentically dressed figure in vaquero clothing, the red scarf, black sombrero, leggins with sidebuttoned pants etc but its a WOMAN wearing them. No matter that in Spanish Californio, no one would have ever put their women in those clothes, this textbook has reinvented a culture to serve the agenda. And they present it as authentic. Orwell would have loved it.

Rant and rave rant and rave...sorry!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Wow, I am realizing that I am behind the times in terms of Political Correctness. I will make it a point to refer to the Weekenders as "she" in the future. :wink:

Oh, and I think absolutely everybody from the bay area is a cutie-pie.
/Bloomfield
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

And everybody in Groovy Pion-her Valley is cutie-pie too..

We're cute, intelligent and gosh darn it, people like us. O-kay.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Well, I grew up in So. Cal, close to the beach, where everyone was a "fox". I have since moved up to the Sacramento area, yet I didn't think anything about Jessie being called a cutie-pie. I really think most people would like to hear someone call them that. It's flattering.

JP
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I, too, was waiting for backlash, though not of the type you mention. I was waiting for people to start yelling at me for self-promotion. Anybody (within reason) is totally welcome to call me cute.

:smile:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

"La Vaquera"??? Ay yi yi!

The big thing hereabouts (at least in the circles in which I move) is to reinvent the early Celtic Christian Church to make it into a feminist, demi-pagan organization instead of the very Orthodox (in the capital "O" sense of the word...closely related to Eastern Orthodox) church that it was. I've learned to wince when I hear a fellow (oops! can I say that?) Episcopalian (almost always female) say she's into "Celtic Christianity," because I know that the "Celtic Christianity" she's referring to is little more than harp music (and maybe the odd whistle or two) and wishful thinking.

Oh, and by the way, if you suggest their history is off-kilter, you're being "intolerant." Evidently the First Amendment is now supposed to extend to rewritting history to your liking. Sigh!

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

well you didnt try to sell me any cutie-pie jewelry or homemade cat toys, Jessie!

Well, I don't think you did....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-10-31 15:37 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-10-31 14:44, Redwolf wrote:
I stand out for insisting on using the traditional words for prayers (and have repeatedly threatened to go back to saying the Nicene Creed in Latin if they do any more tinkering with it!).
I came out of my self-imposed week and a half long silence to post this.

<I>Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipotentem,
factorem caeli et terrae, visibilium omnium et invisibilium, Et in unum Dominum Iesum Christum, Filium Dei unigenitum, et ex Patre natum, ante omnia saecula, Deum de Deo, lumen de Lumine, Deum verum de Deo vero,
genitum, non factum, consubstantialem Patri:
per quem omnia facta sunt. Qui propter nos homines et propter nostram salutem descendit de caelis. Et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto ex Maria Virgine, et homo factus est.
Crucifixus etiam pro nobis sub Pontio ilato;
passus et sepultus est, et resurrexit tertia die, secundem Scripturas, et ascendit in caelum, sedet ad dexteram Patris. Et iterum venturus est cum gloria, iudicare vivos et mortuos, cuius regni non erit finis. Et in Spiritum Sanctum, Dominum et vivificantem: qui ex Patre Filioque procedit. Qui cum Patre et Filio simul adoratur et conglorificatur: qui locutus est per prophetas. Et nuam, sanctam, catholicam et apostolicam Ecclesiam. Confiteor unum baptisma in remissionem peccatorum. Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum, et vitam venturi saeculi. Amen. </i>
Reasonable person
Walden
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

okay, you';ve done it now Walden.

Latin liturgy is a cutie-pie!!
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Anyone who thinks I AM a cutie-pie needs their eyes checked! :grin: