Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tommy
antispam: No

Re: Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Post by Tommy »

Nanohedron wrote: What's Obama going to do with the dosh? If he gave it to Mortenson, that would be a most appropriate gesture, worthy.

Hmmmmmmm............ perhaps he could use some of it to put on a beer fest :party: in the White House garden for the world Heads of State. He could share with them the challenge of living in world peace.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

s1m0n wrote:
Whistling Archer wrote: You are right , I guess they think men may be attracted to that sort of pic?? :D
Every time someone links to that pic, as ID10T did, the Google algorithm decides that it's more important.
And I picked it because it was top of the list, was to lazy to look further, and showed what I wanted. Self feeding as far as rankings go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I must say though, it kind of is nice seeing what looks like a an actual photo of a woman doing something that was traditionally a male thing. Recently taking figure skating class, The walls were lined with girls/women's hockey. I cannot think of one girl that held a hockey stick in my high school.

More girls are shooting with their dads (and sometimes moms), and many other traditional "male" things with their parents. I remember talking with my hair dresser (when I was about 14) about her bow hunting bear, so I guess the thing is that I don't immediately think of the "Babes in Skimpy Camo Outfits Shooting Machine Guns" kind of material.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Henke wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Political BS. I have lost all respect for the Nobel prize. It waits 20-30 years for real ground breaking work, letting history give perspective, but it seems that it is not the wait for politicians.

Not a comment on my approval or disapproval of our current president, just about the prize.
Thank the bloody norwegians for that!

Alfred Nobel made a bad choice in letting the norwegians deal with the peace price. It should have remained with the swedes...
The Norwegians got it because the Swedes were corrupt imperialists at the time. Wouldn't it be shocking if some American charity was given the award money instead of some schools in Pakistan that basically teach young girls how to be good 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th wives of Islamic extremists. Wow! what a novel idea. BTW my wife is a firearms instructor with B.O.W.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

FDR had it right - wake up America, and DO something to bring about the positive changes towards peace we all are far smart enough to see and understand the world needs.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 32x8497809
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Obama's Peace Prize is more than just "don't be Bush."

We're living in an era of transformation. The role of the US and its relations with the rest of the world is changing, greatly and rapidly. The post cold war era is drawing to a close, and a new ear in which China, the EU, and the rising, Brasil-lead South American bloc join the US as the new the heavyweights is beginning. Obama both embodies and has embraced that change.

The same forces were at play during the Bush 43 presidency, but his was a reactionary presidency. Bush managed to hemorrhage huge amounts of American power by trying to resist what has proven to be irresistable change. (Why do I suddenly hear Nancy Reagan shrieking, "Just say, 'NOW!'")

Obama's peace prize is a case of the academy trying to send the clearest signal they can that Obama has set US back on the right trick after the disastrous eight years of Bush.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dwest

Post by dwest »

And again the Peace prize is not awarded for past accomplishments in spite of what is being said by the nattering nabobs of negativity and the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history. But I don't see how Brazil could be the leader of the SA Block they don't even speek Spanish good.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote:
Azalin wrote:This is a joke. I like Obama, but he's leading a country that is at war with a few different countries.
It's a smaller travesty than Kissinger's prize, but I think the committee jumped the gun. On the other hand, americans may not have understood the fervour with which the world awaited the end of Bush.

:lol: :lol:

Count me in there ..
Slan
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I.D.10-t wrote:Political BS. I have lost all respect for the Nobel prize. It waits 20-30 years for real ground breaking work, letting history give perspective, but it seems that it is not the wait for politicians.
The Peace prize is explicitly political. The physics prize is explicitly scientific. If either of these facts startle you, you haven't been paying attention.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

dwest wrote:
Henke wrote:

Not a comment on my approval or disapproval of our current president, just about the prize.
Thank the bloody norwegians for that!

Alfred Nobel made a bad choice in letting the norwegians deal with the peace price. It should have remained with the swedes...
The Norwegians got it because the Swedes were corrupt imperialists at the time. Wouldn't it be shocking if some American charity was given the award money instead of some schools in Pakistan that basically teach young girls how to be good 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th wives of Islamic extremists. Wow! what a novel idea. BTW my wife is a firearms instructor with B.O.W.
Not true. Alfred Nobel let the norwegians award the peace price because he thought that Sweden and Norway should remain as one country. It was a statement, a symbolism, letting the norwegians award the peace price in Oslo because he was pro Swedish/Norwegian alliance, so in a way it was because he wanted Sweden to continue to be "corrupt imperialists" as you put it. He considered Norway a part of Sweden, and Oslo the second capital of Sweden. I'm pretty sure that he would not want the peace price ceremonies to be held in Oslo if he was alive now. As it was, we gave up Norway in 1904. I think it was a long time coming, but Alfred Nobel made it perfectly clear while he was alive that he was against any such action.

I forgot to end my last post with
whisky :oops:
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

dwest wrote:And again the Peace prize is not awarded for past accomplishments in spite of what is being said by the nattering nabobs of negativity and the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.
Here it is from the horse's mouth. The Peace Prize, Alfred Nobel's will says, is to be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Obama qualifies. His Cairo speech is going to be seen by historians as a 'Nixon goes to China" event, signalling a dramatic break with an earlier policy whose failure is becoming increasingly obvious. The neo-cons in the Bush/Cheney circle have been seeking since at least the formation of the PNAC in 1997 to provoke a showdown between Islam and the west. When Samuel Huntington published The Clash of Civilations a number of leading neo-conmen wrote op-eds and appeared on current affairs TV shows to voice utterly insincere horror and dismay. They were really delighted; that's exactly what they were hoping for.

Obama's Cairo speech delivered the message that this approach has been jettisoned. I think this clash is the conflict that the Nobel judges think Obama has begun averting. Iraq and Afghanistan are both bad wars, but they're small bad wars, comparatively speaking. When civilizations collide the conflict is global (more or less) by definition.

~~

Someone yesterday called Obama's political philosophy "dignitarian", which captures it perfectly.

C.S. Lewis
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

s1m0n wrote:
The Peace prize is explicitly political. The physics prize is explicitly scientific. If either of these facts startle you, you haven't been paying attention.
It is suppose to be about "peace", politics is just a secondary part. If this and the award to Al Gore were designed to be a political snub given for what GW did, then it is just a device for politics, a showing of disapproval of an individual, rather than approval of work that has been done. I see it as a difference. If peace can be seen as a subset of politics, then there is much political crap that doesn't fall under peace, just like you will never see a prize for biochemistry given in physics even though they are both sciences.
s1m0n wrote:Obama's Cairo speech delivered the message that this approach has been jettisoned.
Wasn't that speech after he was nominated? I guess there is nothing about the time frame that a person does these things, but it seems odd to be nominated for something you might do. Gandhi and Rosalind Franklin lost out because the committee waited to see what he did. Unfortunate, but the way the prize was intended.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I.D.10-t wrote:
s1m0n wrote: The Peace prize is explicitly political. The physics prize is explicitly scientific. If either of these facts startle you, you haven't been paying attention.
It is suppose to be about "peace", politics is just a secondary part.
They're not in the same category. If peace is the goal, politics is how you reach that goal.

C.S. Lewis
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Then they should have established a lobbying organizations, Foundations for for chemistry physics, literature, and Physiology or Medicine rather than giving a prize for "done the most or the best work". The prize should be for peace, the cash part was given to help those that have had an established track record continue their work. This is the intended extent that the award was meant to be political, recognition and support. Not a political lobby condemning a party or administration in the hopes of establishing peace. If that is the case, become a political organization like "The Committee to Promote Peace by Condemning the Republican Party"
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I.D.10-t wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Obama's Cairo speech delivered the message that this approach has been jettisoned.
Wasn't that speech after he was nominated?
Yes, but so what? There's no cut off date on things the judges can consider when they're deciding. If the case for a nominee becomes more compelling between his nomination and the decision, 8 months later, the committee can and should take that into consideration. I'm sure there are cases when events subsequent to nomination have torpedoed other nominee's chances entirely, although it will be fifty years before the story can be told.

C.S. Lewis
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

I wish all of you could have been at Bible study with me yesterday morn. I know not all of you would want to even be where I am , much lesswith me at church. LOL
But ,the teacher put it in such great perspective . For those of us that call ourselves Christian anyway.
He was saying to not get bogged down in political things,, that someone else has the final call,,, and can make whatever happen. Yes,, something we believers already know,, but doesnt hurt to be reminded.
He also said not to downgrade our pres. ,oops ,I will admit I am not a O fan.
We should live in peace knowing He has it all in control. How , I dont know.

I wish my words could convey what the teacher did. I know I am going to stop my Obama jokes , Im gonna try anyway. I dont like some of the things hes doing ,,, but I need to leave room for a higher power.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested