Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:You did NOT just go there.
There's nothing tofu can't ruin.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:You could even make your own!
Well unless you know of a local restaurant, I would kind of have to wouldn't I.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:You could even make your own!
Well unless you know of a local restaurant, I would kind of have to wouldn't I.
I have a feeling that the Great Nanny State of Minnesota would take a very, very dim view of such a risky delicacy as rakfisk being sold in public dining establishments. No, this is the sort of thing you bootleg and consume with only likeminded sorts that skulk happily in the shady world of the culinary underground circuit, where they eat terrine of larks' tongues, voles in aspic, squid's privates, and that all-too-living maggotty cheese Sardinians love so well.

The FDA would probably have a cow.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Weekenders wrote:
jim stone wrote:To put the matter in perspective, here is a candidate for this year's prize who lost.

From Time:

'Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091009/u ... 9192939500
But I bet he didn't have the support of George $oro$.
10,000,000.00 Swedish Kronas = 1,429,469.91 U.S. Dollars. That's what the winner gets as a monetary
reward. I've been in Afghanistan and Pakistan, a little money goes a long way there. From what I'm
reading people in Afghanistan earn 10 dollars a week on average. So the money would have
started, what? Maybe a hundred more schools for girls, maybe more. Maybe 100,000 more
girls learning to read, learning geography, learning.... I don't think most of us can
imagine what life is like for women in that part of the world. Or the awful consequences for
society at large, including a desperate fanaticism among men. You cannot treat half the population
like that without everybody being crazy.

You don't necessarily have to kill people to defeat the Taliban.

It's this combination of a creative idea that goes, in a dramatically peaceful way, to the plight of those most oppressed, coupled with real accomplishment at the cost of serious personal risk, that moved
me about the Nobel Peace Prize and, I believe, lent it so much dignity in the world's eyes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:You did NOT just go there.
There's nothing tofu can't ruin.
Hard to imagine lutefisk being subject to anything that could be called "ruin", but, yeah. I think you found it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:It's this combination of a creative idea that goes, in a dramatically peaceful way, to the plight of those most oppressed, coupled with real accomplishment at the cost of serious personal risk, that moved
me about the Nobel Peace Prize and, I believe, lent it so much dignity in the world's eyes.
I personally would have rather seen the award go to Mortensen for those reasons, and for the good the money could do.

What's Obama going to do with the dosh? If he gave it to Mortenson, that would be a most appropriate gesture, worthy.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:I was hoping Pete Seeger would win it. He certainly deserves it.

Slan,
D.
LIKE! Oh, wait...this isn't Facebook, is it.....

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Whistling Archer wrote: You are right , I guess they think men may be attracted to that sort of pic?? :D
Every time someone links to that pic, as ID10T did, the Google algorithm decides that it's more important.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

jim stone wrote: You don't necessarily have to kill people to defeat the Taliban.
You don't need to defeat the Taliban, either.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

jim stone wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:
jim stone wrote:To put the matter in perspective, here is a candidate for this year's prize who lost.

From Time:

'Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091009/u ... 9192939500
But I bet he didn't have the support of George $oro$.
10,000,000.00 Swedish Kronas = 1,429,469.91 U.S. Dollars. That's what the winner gets as a monetary
reward. I've been in Afghanistan and Pakistan, a little money goes a long way there. From what I'm
reading people in Afghanistan earn 10 dollars a week on average. So the money would have
started, what? Maybe a hundred more schools for girls, maybe more. Maybe 100,000 more
girls learning to read, learning geography, learning.... I don't think most of us can
imagine what life is like for women in that part of the world. Or the awful consequences for
society at large, including a desperate fanaticism among men. You cannot treat half the population
like that without everybody being crazy.

You don't necessarily have to kill people to defeat the Taliban.

It's this combination of a creative idea that goes, in a dramatically peaceful way, to the plight of those most oppressed, coupled with real accomplishment at the cost of serious personal risk, that moved
Jim - you and I might be at different ends of the political spectrum, but you and I are in complete agreement here.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: What's Obama going to do with the dosh? If he gave it to Mortenson, that would be a most appropriate gesture, worthy.
He has already said that he's donating it to charity, or rather, to a number of charities. No doubt one will be something like a wounded veterans assistance organization, and another might well be Mortensen's charity.

C.S. Lewis
Henke

Post by Henke »

I.D.10-t wrote:Political BS. I have lost all respect for the Nobel prize. It waits 20-30 years for real ground breaking work, letting history give perspective, but it seems that it is not the wait for politicians.

Not a comment on my approval or disapproval of our current president, just about the prize.
Thank the bloody norwegians for that!

Alfred Nobel made a bad choice in letting the norwegians deal with the peace price. It should have remained with the swedes...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

s1m0n wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: What's Obama going to do with the dosh? If he gave it to Mortenson, that would be a most appropriate gesture, worthy.
He has already said that he's donating it to charity, or rather, to a number of charities. No doubt one will be something like a wounded veterans assistance organization, and another might well be Mortensen's charity.
Mebbe he'll give it to that charity run by Gaddafi's son!

It's been a long day filled with lunacy, no doubt the waning moon's revenge on us for stickin' him in the eye. My final answer: they should have given the prize to Letterman.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nobel peace prize, Oscars, Olympics, etc... They don't mean anything any more. It's all just wind and sails.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Doesn't the fact that they knighted Mick Jagger mean ANYTHING to you? :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde