Best way to propose? :D

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Best way to propose? :D

Post by Brian Lee »

So, after some time now, I do believe I've found my (hopefully soon to be) Mrs. Right! It's been a long hard slog...but after years and years of searching (and finding just about every possible Mrs. WRONG in the state I do believe) I'm ready to pop *the* question!

We're taking a trip back East in November to be with family for Thanksgiving, and I was wanting to do it then. There's a great little lighthouse in northern Maryland at Concord Point. Our family has a bit of a history with it's upkeep and continued operation so that's a special place to me. It's absolutely beautiful there as well so I thought that the location would be a really great place to do it.

One thought was to get the key to the place and take the ring to the top, and place it up near the light itself. Then to take her up at night...and propose there - just the two of us.

But, I wanted to get some other thoughts as well. Any of you have some amazing proposal stories you'd like to share? Any advice? Anything I need to watch out for??

Looking forward to your collective wisdom!

All the best...as ALWAYS!

Brian~
emmline

Re: Best way to propose? :D

Post by emmline »

I like the lighthouse...lovely, not too over-the-top. Note of course, that Mr. Emm and I picked out a ring together, which he later went and picked up. Then he gave it to me in his pickup truck as we were parked next to the dumpster behind his hardware store. So, you can see how important presentation is to me (not :lol: ) We've been married 25 years.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Make sure to write a letter to her parents asking for permission. She helped pick the ring.....right?

I popped the question in our favorite restaurant in Madison, got a free dinner out of it plus dessert and champagne, don't knock it we were still grad students with debt. She picked the ring (a whole new dimension of debt).

Oops! redundant!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I proposed to my wife up the Eiffel tower so if she said no I could jump off.Thankfully she said yes,this would also work with the lighthouse.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

After we had been living together for 9 months, I proposed to my wife while we were sitting around the kitchen table. After a few tears of joy and lots of hugs, she was busy on the telephone, telling her friends and family that "There's gonna be a wedding".

I hope she says "yes", Brian.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I just asked her out of the blue one evening after a glass or two. I had no idea I was going to do it. Sheer impulse. The ring had to wait. But we're 33 years in and going strong! I sincerely hope, in the light of this thread, that yours is not a member of C & F... :o
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Not that you'd ask me but if you made me walk up a Lighthouse for anything, I'd say no, just on principle.

Best Wishes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It's a tiny lighthouse. But there are big spiders in it sometimes. :) I used to have to clean them out of it when I was a kid. hehe And yes, before anyone asks - I'll make sure all arachnid residents are moved out before the proposal night. ;)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Leave the spiders in. Be seen to be executing their fearless and masterly removal on the night, just before the big moment. You'll look like a hero, mate. Refusal will then be entirely out of the question.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
chas

Post by chas »

emmline wrote:I like the lighthouse...lovely, not too over-the-top. Note of course, that Mr. Emm and I picked out a ring together, which he later went and picked up. Then he gave it to me in his pickup truck as we were parked next to the dumpster behind his hardware store. So, you can see how important presentation is to me (not :lol: ) We've been married 25 years.
We were even less romantic. We were dating long distance (for a whole six weeks) when her car broke down. We were talking and I said something to the effect that I wasn't comfortable with her driving 250 miles every weekend or two. She asked, "Are you talking about tying the knot?" and I said, "Yeah, I guess so." We also shopped for a ring together. And our wedding was equally romantic, a courthouse ceremony with one guest (we really tried to offend everyone equally, but circumstances didn't allow) and chocolate-chip cookies.

It's "only" been 14 years for us, but a blissful 14 years.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Man, how could you beat a lighthouse proposal? It's literally brilliant. Somewhere in your speil to her, you might refer to her as the light of your life...

I don't think I ever proposed to Charlene as such. We met online (ebay auction!) and started long distance email and IM communication, later by phone. In a VERY short time it was simply understood by both of us that we would be married and live happily ever after. Next week it'll be 10 years since I first laid eyes on my lady.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Brian Lee wrote:It's a tiny lighthouse. But there are big spiders in it sometimes. :) I used to have to clean them out of it when I was a kid. hehe And yes, before anyone asks - I'll make sure all arachnid residents are moved out before the proposal night. ;)
If I killed an arachnid in front of my wife now she'd freak. We had a female argiope build a web by the front door several weeks ago. My wife carefully inspected her work and prey everyday, then she laid an egg case and died, my wife hasn't recovered yet. Not all girls hate spiders, many are enlightened.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I would be more impressed if you carefully and humanely removed them to the outside, or let me do it. Guess I'm with dwest's wife on this one.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

dwest wrote:My wife carefully inspected her work and prey everyday, then she laid an egg case and died.....
Condolences.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I'm not too sure Gwen will care how said residents are evicted: Paper cup to the outside? Broom to web and maker? Huge blowtorch? ;) She doesn't mind spiders as such...but not intimately involved in her proposal night I'm guessing. hehe

Thanksgiving can't quite seem to come soon enough!