Survey: tallest buildings ?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
trill

Survey: tallest buildings ?

Post by trill »

Greetings all,

This is not a whistle topic, but I'm a little curious...

Cities often have a downtown area with a cluster of tall buildings.

My survey question is: For the cities where you live (or know of) -

1) what is the tallest building (or the tallest few) ?
2) who owns them ?

I'll be happy to keep a spreadsheet of the results and post/update as data comes in.

Anybody willing ?

trill
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Survey: tallest buildings ?

Post by mutepointe »

I'm driving through Charleston, WV, our capitol tomorrow. I'll get back with you. Don't laugh. We don't have much of a need to build up.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_42

London: The Natwest Tower, AKA "Tower 42". 184 m tall. Owned by the National Westminster Bank. One of the UK's "big five" banks. At least you can see what they did with your money.

The WIKI page also refers to the Gherkin (the dildo) which comes close (so to speak) at 180m.
Tower 42 will be overshadowed by the Heron Tower (246m) and Bishopsgate Tower (288m) both of which are still under construction.
"Bishopsgate" is the key word here, as that is the name of the main thoroughfare where these excrescences afflict.

"Bishopsgate" is the one of the "financial" areas.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

How about tallest abandoned buildings?

Shooting the structure out of square to amplify the vertigo was a stroke of genuis.

Others here.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

mutepointe wrote:I'm driving through Charleston, WV, our capitol tomorrow. I'll get back with you. Don't laugh. We don't have much of a need to build up.
I drove through Charleston last week. I think the tallest building is the capitol building.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

This list of tallest buildings in Cleveland ranks skyscrapers in the U.S. city of Cleveland, Ohio by height. The tallest building in Cleveland is the 57-story Key Tower, which rises 948 feet (289 m) in Cleveland's Public Square.[1] It is the tallest building in the state of Ohio and the 18th-tallest building in the United States. The Terminal Tower stands as the second tallest building in the city and the state.[2] (Wiki)

It was originally built as the Society Center but was renamed when Key Bank acquired Society Bank. Society had recently acquired Ameritrust and canceled Ameritrust's plans for an even taller building on Public Square. Key Tower was developed by the Richard E. Jacobs Group and is owned by Wells Real Estate Funds.[3] Key Bank's headquarters occupy most of the tower. (wiki)
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Of course I don't actually live in Cleveland and the tallest building in Aurora is the now abandoned space needle / skyscraper ride that was at the now sold and dismembered Geauga Lake Amusement Park.After that is torn down the Church in Aurora will be the tallest.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

The CN Tower is pretty tall. You can find the poop on it at Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Tower
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the tallest building in DC, Can't believe Congress gave them permission to build something taller than the Capital Building. Quite byzantine if you ask me.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

San Jose CA's got a twofer:

"The 88", a condo tower is the official tallest building in town: it's one foot taller than city hall. Just for bragging rights - since they are a few blocks apart it's a coin toss which one's actually higher above either sea level or the sidewalk.

But San Jose restricts building heights since downtown's in the airport's normal descent path and they couldn't possibly allow buildings outside the downtown area that are taller. So you're looking at 286 feet for The 88, and 285 feet for City Hall.

Either one of which would be considered no more than medium height for an apartment tower in quite a few other cities I've visited.

It's not a bad place to live. But San Jose has been described as "a collection of suburbs in search of a city" and there's a lot of truth in the description.