The Evolution of Cats

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Evolution of Cats

Post by herbivore12 »

An interesting idea posited, and reported here in the NY Times. Essentially, these folks propose the idea that cats domesticated themselves; that to benefit from the advantages humanity could offer (lots of vermin to eat, warm safe places to stay), they developed a sort of "disdainful tolerance for people". Whereas it works the other way for other domesticated animals; we see a trait we like or can benefit from, and select for them 'til the animal fits our needs.

Cats, it turns out, are without utility.

I prefer to think that my cat has perceived something special about me and considers me worthy of her company, rather than that she's tolerating my attention in return for food and rent. I'd feel so used.

And still I love her . . .
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: The Evolution of Cats

Post by Walden »

It's an extension of the theory they already proposed about dogs a few years earlier.
Reasonable person
Walden
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

In other words, cats are vermin! :o

Merriam-Webster: small common harmful or objectionable animals that are difficult to control.

Sounds about right. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

herbivore12 wrote:Cats, it turns out, are without utility.
Whoever said that never lived on a farm. We had cats. We never had a problem with mice or rats in the barn.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:Cats, it turns out, are without utility.
Whoever said that never lived on a farm. We had cats. We never had a problem with mice or rats in the barn.
Ditto, you cat-sneering wretches! An acquaintance told me about a restaurant cat in a village in Africa. It had the run of the place, but it wasn't there for its arguably questionable charm; it was a working cat whether it knew it or not. Check out Ancient Egypt's relationship with the cat: it was a practical one, first and foremost.

And what's all this dimwitted twaddle about "domesticated" cats?? You can't really domesticate a cat. Cats are feral when all's said and done, as any cat owner with eyes and a brain in his head will tell you: some cats more than others just happen to adapt to, and like, domestic arrangements. And laps.

A cat's utility is based on circumstances. Just like any dog's. Hell, pretty much every dog I come across in the city has about as much "use" as a screen door on a submarine. 'Specially those bitty dust-bunnies-on-a-leash. So take THAT, you canid poo factory mavens.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

You don't like dogs then Nano???????? :lol: :lol:
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pammy wrote:You don't like dogs then Nano???????? :lol: :lol:
I love dogs. With hoisin sauce.

No, seriously, I don't have a thing against dogs at all. I've owned 'em and cared for 'em and loved 'em and respected 'em, myself. And each and every one was ultimately useless, you have to admit, if "utility" is the measure we're going by. I mean, seriously, c'mon: how many terrier owners these days hunt rats and stuff with them? I ask you.

I'm just pointing out this little niggling thing called "reality". You know, just in case anyone cares to cop to it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm just pointing out this little niggling thing called "reality". You know, just in case anyone cares to cop to it.
That's dangerous territory. People will aggressively defend their delusions. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm just pointing out this little niggling thing called "reality". You know, just in case anyone cares to cop to it.
:shock: Shirely :shock:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote: :shock: Shirely :shock:
And what do Hobbits have to do with it?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:Image
Looks like many a vendor booth I've seen at the RenFest.
Denny

Post by Denny »

reality, eh.....
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cats keep down snakes too. If you live in a region with the venomous beasts, as I do, that can be an advantage.
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Walden wrote:Cats keep down snakes too. If you live in a region with the venomous beasts, as I do, that can be an advantage.
That would certainly be an advantage in my book. Even though the only thing I've seen resembling a snake around here is a slow-worm.

And to add to the accounts of "utility" of cats - There is an account in "The Good Soldier Svejk" of a cat emplyed by the Austrian-Hungarian Military to keep down mice and rats in the quartermaster's store. I'm sure that wasn't the only army or country to employ them - and I mean "employ", with a staff-number and regular salary (paid in cat's meat). Starving cats don't do too well at mice-hunting.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!