Fuses and the economic cycle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Fuses and the economic cycle

Post by s1m0n »

This post isn't intended to start a fight or cast any aspersions, but I've been noticing of late that here at the chip & nipple people's fuses seem to be a bit shorter than they used to be. I suspect that this might have a lot to do with the economic strain most of us are under at the moment.

For reasons I won't get into, I've opted to live my working life in the kinds of not-for-profits that that tend to hobble from grant to grant at the best of times, so I may be more adapted to this kind of turmoil. I definitely have less far to fall than many. I'm not struggling to make mortgages, alimony, or car loan payments, etc. I am making my rent, which is how I define "doing ok".

That said, six weeks ago the penny that everyone at my last workplace knew was coming finally dropped, and only today have I noticed that for the past month I've been a LOT less angry than I was in the first five months of this year.

What I trying to say with this post is that what was (and is) true of me is probably also true of a lot of other board members. Maybe even of other folks in your lives.

I've put in enough time here to know that there are no bad people posting here. I'm going to try to keep in mind that when someone rubs me the wrong way, or I bug them, the odds are it's only the economy talking, not the jerk whom I've suddenly noticed was an undetected jackass all this time.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
emmline

Re: Fuses and the economic cycle

Post by emmline »

Sometimes it's the economy. Sometimes other stressful life issues. You never know. There's often plenty to make folks punchy.
But, yes, it would be interesting to track online posting climate vis-a-vis the general state of affairs.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Chiff certainly has its share of nice people, more than its share, really, as far as the Internet goes. However, even before the economy soured, there were also a healthy helping of jerks, trolls, and agitators.

It is much healthier to excuse someone for their temper, for their outburst than to try and devise a way to get even. It can be useful to imagine that the other person just got some terrible news and is venting it out online.

Taking things personally, and plots to get even or win the next argument, usually result in round after round of useless and pointless flame wars, that generally make everyone miserable. Excusing the other person (vs. accusing them) is sometimes difficult, but it makes for a happier and healthier self, and also a happier and healthier group.

For the Internet, I have found that the toddler tool of "timeout" is a good one. If someone or some group online is working a person up, a timeout from the board for a few days is often the best antidote. If it continues, the Internet is a vast place, there is no need to continue to visit places that produce temper.

Remember rule #1: no one wins an argument on the Internet. Most of the folks on Chiff, I will never meet. Why should I care what they think of me or my opinions? Am I so vain to think that my "clear thinking" will set someone else straight? Now that is a funny one.
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

It's probably nicer because I've been gone for several months. I took a powder just after the election because I found myself more involved in the political, rather than the musical. Thought I'd pop back in to see what was going on!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

BillChin wrote: For the Internet, I have found that the toddler tool of "timeout" is a good one. If someone or some group online is working a person up, a timeout from the board for a few days is often the best antidote. If it continues, the Internet is a vast place, there is no need to continue to visit places that produce temper.
True, indeed. Maybe we should have a "naughty step" as well. :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
BillChin wrote: For the Internet, I have found that the toddler tool of "timeout" is a good one.
True, indeed. Maybe we should have a "naughty step" as well.
This isn't the kind of conversation I was trying to start, and unless I'm mistaken, the above constitutes meta discussion. which Dale'strying to discourage.

What I wanted to say is that there's a lot more stress that usual out there in the zeitgeist right now, and we should cut each a little more slack. People are hurting.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I don't know Simon. My personal deal has been pretty steady but my wife has had her hours reduced by 20%. I've actually been surprised how positive many peope seem to be. The marketplace has been tough on several family members, but they're getting by. Still your point is well taken. Many folks have go reason for heightened anxiety and it''s always wise to take a deep breath when we run in to someone displaying that anxiety.

As for C&F, I've been here less often recently and the place seems pretty calm to me. I did notice that a particularly testy forum, which I frequented and enjoyed seems to have vanished. I guess that's okay. Maybe its time had passed.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

s1m0n wrote:... there's a lot more stress that usual out there in the zeitgeist right now, and we should cut each a little more slack. People are hurting.
Amen!

It would be nice to see folks take any well-earned aggravation (loads of that) out on the actual perpetrators of said aggravation rather than the nearest likely target. I dream.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Reading the title, I had really hoped that this was a thread about some obscure inverse correlation between economic trends and electrical fusible links.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I not only agree with Simon but think that there may be some big public outburst, very unexpectedly, coming up. I don't know what it will be, perhaps a response to a layoff or some other deprivation, when it might happen (possibly as soon as July 4) or who will start it.

One thing I have never forgotten is that in the 60s and 70s, there were very public demonstrations in the political arena, and huge labor strikes and actions. I think, in some ways, that the Patco strike, when Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. was the closing bell on that...

But people's emotions are raw. As to this board, I think that shutting down the Procto circumvented the immediate expression of such things here, anyway.. As each outrageous thing happens, and there have been plenty in the news, there is a sense (at least for me) of "nowhere to take it." This might even make people even more edgy and cause unexpected over-reactions.

I think it's interesting that the fawning media made a big deal of the lady crying in Obama's arms yesterday, as a validation.... I can't continue about the implications of the symbolism without getting political.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

The Weekenders wrote:I not only agree with Simon but think that there may be some big public outburst, very unexpectedly, coming up. I don't know what it will be, perhaps a response to a layoff or some other deprivation, when it might happen (possibly as soon as July 4) or who will start it.
There's been a bit of a spate of murders, suicides, and at least one recent murder-suicide, which is what started me thinking about this, and reminded me of a couple of recent meltdowns in this and another forum.

C.S. Lewis
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

I noticed this on a lot of the forums that I am on that allowed political talk. Before Obama, there was the just the complaints about the economy and alternative lifestyles. Since Obama took office, the boards have exploded with commentary. This past election appears to have really divided the country in a way that no past election has. Well, in my life time, at least. The supporters and detractors each became more extreme in their commentary. The number of moderates almost disappeared.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Scary. Would it be "Procto" to ask, how You'd think that happened? Is it really Obama polarising politics that much? Or is it the crisis stressing them?

Over here, people are still pretty relaxed. Probably because we do have a very good social system, so no-one will get homeless due to unemployment or need to take on 2-3 underpayed jobs to pay for the children, nor are there worries about college or healthcare, since these are free here, too...
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Nothing is free. The cost is merely shared by everyone through taxation.

From my perception, the explosion of the arguments did start during the election period. The supporters talked up what they saw as the good stuff, dismissing the detractors. The detractors talked up all the negatives, dismissing what little good they saw. And then any issue that Obama was talking about the talking flash points for disagreement.

And now on those same forums, the current talk is still much on Obama and his effect -- or lack thereof -- on any particular issue, who is to blame, etc.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Celtpastor wrote:Scary. Would it be "Procto" to ask, how You'd think that happened? Is it really Obama polarising politics that much? Or is it the crisis stressing them?
The crisis, PTSD, change. By the numbers, the US is much less divided than it was during the Bush era. Back then the nation was split straight down the middle, whereas Obama won by landslide.

C.S. Lewis