Egypt music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Egypt music

Post by chas »

My daughter's eighth birthday party is next weekend (the 13th). She's having an ancient Egypt party -- a pyramid made from brownies for a cake, sandstone pyramids for party favors, etc. I'd like to put together a CD of music with Egyptian references -- I haven't thought about it much, so at this point all I have is "Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles and "The Golden Scarab" by Ray Manzarek.

So, any suggestions?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Egypt music

Post by herbivore12 »

MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur?

Wooly Bully by Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs?

Ahab the Arab by Ray Stevens?

Walking in Memphis by Marc Cohn? :P

I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus? (OK, I'm running out of ideas here ...)

The Triumphal March from Aïda? (8 year-olds love it!)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Would they be too young to enjoy real modern Egyptian music? Mohammed Fadl and Oum Khoulsom are always worth hearing as are the Musicians of the Nile and Hamza El-Din. Perhaps if you mixed them with earlier suggestions it would work.
mukade

Post by mukade »

'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I have a couple of tapes of Farouz at home. That probably rates as "ancient Egyptian" by now.

Wilson Keppel and Betty is a great suggestion.

The BBC had a drama series a few years back on Ancient Egypt. Don't forget to have the dancing girls' nipples painted green...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Richard Thompson's We're all working for the Pharaoh comes to mind. My fave version was recorded by The House Band for a Thompson tribute album ("The World is a Wonderful Place", I think) a while back. If you want and can't find it, PM me.

Transglobal Underground's Nile Delta Disco is a ton of fun, too although I don't know if the version I know is the same as this remix.

~~

I also have a great deal of actual Arabic, Egyptian, and Turkish music; this is my current obsession. These days it tends to get sold to white folks as 'bellydance' music, and anything you find under that label will be right for the day. It's been my experience that the hard nasal singing style (as popularized by the great 78 era egyptian diva Oum Khalsoum) and quarter-tone scales combine to make instrumentals more accessible for western ears than songs. Fairuz is actually Lebanese, I believe, but if there's a musical distinction between the two, I don't know what it might be.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas

Post by chas »

Thanks, Folks!

I'd thought about mixing in some real Egyptian music. I like the idea of including just enough that the little ones don't become too weirded out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Throw in some good Oud music. For some reason, when I listen to it I feel like I am in a hooka den.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."