If you want to see the giant redwoods...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

If you want to see the giant redwoods...

Post by Redwolf »

If you want to see the giant redwoods, best come this summer. Looks like the Governator's latest plan is to close all our state parks that aren't independent money earners :cry: :

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_12488039

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Joseph E. Smith

Re: If you want to see the giant redwoods...

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Not good, not good at all. :evil:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It's a two-edged sword too, at least hereabouts. Our area will lose a fair bit of tourist revenue, and the parks themselves are likely to become homeless encampments with no one to patrol them which, among other things, will greatly increase our summer fire danger.

Redwolf
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

How sad. That is just horrible.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Hmm, not travelling much because of economy. Guess I'll stay nearby and go to the.... d'oh!!

He hung this over our necks last fall as a consequence. I still see no salary freeze or takeback of UC Regents and chancellors or many other bureaucrats. It all seems very punitive to me. And, overall, the parks bring in $2.35 or something for every dollar spent. As long as they are in the green, doesn't that help the overall economic health of the state? What am I missing here???
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The Weekenders wrote:Hmm, not travelling much because of economy. Guess I'll stay nearby and go to the.... d'oh!!

He hung this over our necks last fall as a consequence. I still see no salary freeze or takeback of UC Regents and chancellors or many other bureaucrats. It all seems very punitive to me. And, overall, the parks bring in $2.35 or something for every dollar spent. As long as they are in the green, doesn't that help the overall economic health of the state? What am I missing here???
Yeah...my first reaction was "he's pitching a hissy fit because his measures didn't pass."

The situation with UC is criminal. As you noted, regents, chancellors and other administrators are still raking it in, while courses are being cut and fees are going through the roof. And it's not just the Santa Cruz "fluff" courses ("community studies" and such)...I have a friend who is a marine biology professor at UCSC, and her classes were cut last sememster.

I would think it would make a lot more sense financially to keep the parks open. Other than the rangers, most of the people who work in the parks, at least hereabouts, are volunteer docents anyway. And when you think of the tourism the parks bring to the state.... Heck, the campgrounds at Henry Cowell and Big Basin are full from March through October! They could raise camping fees by a dollar or so and still fill up the campgrounds...I'd think something like that would make more sense.

And I'd love to know who's going to pay for the fire crews when illegal campers set the forest on fire (made easier, of course, because there will be no one checking for them...not to mention no one clearing the brush!).

Redwolf
Denny

Post by Denny »

just in case yer feelin' lonely down there :D

State park closures

It's not enough that Gov. Christine Gregoire asked the Washington State Parks Department to prepare for a $10 million reduction in their budget for the next two years and the closure of 13 state parks in the process. Now our fiscally challenged governor is asking the Washington State Parks Department to prepare for a $23 million reduction and the mothball of up to 33 parks.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Pretty infuriating stuff here.
tansy

Post by tansy »

sounds like a good time to open more parks to me :D
shy the blond water
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

California is the world's tenth largest economy, and is a locus of enormous wealth, power, and influence. Given this, there is no excuse for the state's constant state of financial crisis. The governments of places much, much poorer than the state of California are capable of delivering and funding a comparable level of services in the public sector. In fact, a great many are doing a lot more for a lot less.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:California is the world's tenth largest economy, and is a locus of enormous wealth, power, and influence. Given this, there is no excuse for the state's constant state of financial crisis. The governments of places much, much poorer than the state of California are capable of delivering and funding a comparable level of services in the public sector. In fact, a great many are doing a lot more for a lot less.
I think that most Californians would agree with you on that. That's one reason the recent ballot measures failed. Folks are tired of throwing more and more money at Sacramento, only to keep hearing "we have to cut this" or "we can't do this unless we raise property/automobile/income/sales taxes."

I don't know about other parts of the state, but here in Santa Cruz at least part of the problem is that things are way too top-heavy. Take the public schools, for example. They're laying off teachers and cutting programs right and left here, yet we still have five separate school districts, each with its own paid administrative staff (and we're one of the smallest counties in the state!). We could easily consolidate into three districts (Mountain, City and South County), or possibly even two (consolidating Mountain and City) and by so doing save lots of teachers and programs. But no one thinks about that.

Redwolf
Denny

Post by Denny »

crushed by bureaucracy!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The Washington State parks managed to pass a budget that keeps the parks open this year: http://www.parks.wa.gov/newsreleases/09 ... budget.doc
Charlene
Denny

Post by Denny »

provided that a new donation program tied to vehicle license tabs brings in adequate revenue to operate state parks.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Redwolf wrote: I think that most Californians would agree with you on that. That's one reason the recent ballot measures failed. Folks are tired of throwing more and more money at Sacramento, only to keep hearing "we have to cut this" or "we can't do this unless we raise property/automobile/income/sales taxes."
Actually, I think precisely the opposite: the problem is the voters and the referendum system in which they can get to make decisions that have serious consequences without having to confront those consequences. Then, you send your reps to the statehouse with conflicting demands, and when they fail to square the circle, you blame them for it.

The people of California have expectations of their government that aren't merely "unreasonable", they're "impossible".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis