music for when you are stressed out

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

music for when you are stressed out

Post by Jack »

(I am not asking for medical advice. Do not give medical advice.)

I am asking about others' practices. What music do you listen to when you are overly stressed out? What music do you find relaxing?
emmline
antispam: No

Re: music for when you are stressed out

Post by emmline »

Calm Mozart, or other gentle-tempo classical. Easy jazz. Acoustic guitar.
Protean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Depends on what sort of process you're looking to work through... sometimes I find very heavy music is what's called for -- brood for a bit, rage a little. Other times, need to play something a little more chill -- take a step back, relax.

For the former situation, I head for Disturbed, Muse, Foo Fighters, 30 Seconds to Mars, Deftones, etc.

For the latter, I have a nice collection of Acid Jazz and downtempo, quite a lot of orchestral music, some lighter rock/pop, Celtic music, etc.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Kate Wolf

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Cork

Post by Cork »

Jack wrote:...What music do you listen to when you are overly stressed out? What music do you find relaxing?
First, are you somehow stressed out?

If so, then perhaps it could be worth your while to focus on eliminating such stress, and to not divert your attention with something such as music.

Yes, perhaps that could call for some introspection, and a thorough self-evaluation.

Please, however, consider the potential benefits of such an act.

And, no medication is required!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Morning Stress: NPR, Classical, Norah Jones, Natalie Cole, Judy Collins, Neil Young, that kind of stuff.

Afternoon Stress: Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, Queen, Moody Blues, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Yes, Patsy Cline, k. d. lang, The Kingston Trio, that kind of stuff

Evening Stress: I watch TV.

Nightime Stress: Coast to Coast AM Radio

I don't have that much stress in my life, It's just that I'm in different places if stress pops up and my options are limited in each spot. If I could, I would watch TV 24/7.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Protean wrote: For the former situation, I head for Disturbed, Muse, Foo Fighters, 30 Seconds to Mars, Deftones, etc.
They're all fun even when you're not stressed....doing dishes while the Fighters of Foo are playing makes it far more entertaining :thumbsup:

When I'm stressed...gosh....it really depends. Today it was piano concertos. Lots of them. Then some Foos, topped off with a bit of Ella and a smidgen of Billy Joel (although the latter wasn't because of stress...). It also depends on the situation for me. I'll do classical-ish type stuff just to relax if it's that kind of stress, like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin...etc. But other times, I need to have something fun to dance around to and get my mind off what's going on for a bit. Then I'll do Cake, Green Day, Offspring or something else that's upbeat and not heavy in terms of lyrics. Something that I don't have to think about, really.

In the end, when I'm really stressed, I get out my fiddle and just play, but since that's not really what you're asking, I'll leave it at that.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm fine. It's a friend of mine who is stressed out.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Playing some gentle music does seem to help. The human mind tends to focus on doing one thing, and playing music requires enough concentration to take one's mind off the stress.

Listening to live music also has some power. Recorded music never did much for me.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Everybody can laugh and point at me and tell me it's not trad - but for me it's the Irish Rovers. Especially the early albums.

I have a feeling I'll be playing an Irish Rovers tape at full blast going home from work tomorrow - it's the day before Mother's Day so everyone will want flowers, the weather is finally warming up so people are buying seeds and plants for the garden, it's a Saturday, and we have the vet in for the low cost shot clinic - it's going to be very stressful.
Charlene
Protean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Charlene wrote:Everybody can laugh and point at me and tell me it's not trad...
Who gives a flip? Music's meant to be enjoyed, trad or no. It isn't all for everybody, but all of it's for somebody, and that somebody can enjoy it regardless of anyone else's opinion of the matter. I never understood the whole music snob thing.

It's like people who laugh at people who listen to Britney Spears. Why does it matter to them that someone else enjoys Britney Spears? What impact does that have on their life, their well being? Some people like it, some don't. Get over yourselves and let people enjoy what they enjoy.

Sorry, not aimed at you, Charlene, or anyone in particular, just a general rant about something which annoys me. It's also entirely off topic... :p
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Louis Armstrong. There. I just beat the internet.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Jack wrote:I'm fine. It's a friend of mine who is stressed out.
Then please, take my earlier advise on this thread and pass it along to your friend.

It just might work wonders.

Otherwise, without addressing the cause of such stress, the stress might not go away.

Worse, it might fester.

:-)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Stars of the Lid
Rapoon
Glenn Gould

Doesn't everybody?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It depends. Sometimes it's the Bonzos. Sometimes it's Beethoven. Once in a while it is John Martyn or Kathryn Tickell. Or "Oriental Bellydance" tracks.

Best is to go out and play whistle in the woods, though.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!