Of Birthdays, Wives, and Scotch

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Of Birthdays, Wives, and Scotch

Post by CHasR »

mutepointe wrote:No clue what you got, ....
It's $150 a bottle 18 year old Scotch.

Ive had it, and I dont think its worth THAT much,

but in this case its the thought that counts.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Congratulations!

My birthday's this week, too. My wife likes to keep a bit of mystery, so she asked me for a list of CDs and Scotch that I'd enjoy. So though I know it'll be likely something from the list, I don't know what. ;)

Here's a question for the group - do you generally surprise one another with gifts, or do you ask for some guidance from the person you want to buy for? I've always wanted to be one of those supremely intuitive givers, but over the years I've learned that my intuition . . . needs tuition. :twisted:
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Happy Birthday-sounds like you are celebrating in style. :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
Protean wrote:Thank God for the lot of them. The wife got me a bottle of Macallan 18 for my birthday. Huzzah!
Me being a recovering RenFester, you lost me after "huzzah", big time.
Whoa, that exclamation point you missed might have been important. ;)

I try not to do birthdays (heck, holidays in general), but my wife insists. Mine's not for seven months, and I think the raspberry wheat beer and ginger wheat lager (a blessed accident) that I just bottled may be past peak by then. There'll be something to drink though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

$150 for an 18 y.o. Macallan seems a lot! That's about £100. Congrats on the birthday and the excellent gift though :thumbsup: :party:

My girlfriend got me whisky for Christmas, that was great. In fact it still is, not finished it yet (Balvenie doublewood). That was only a $50 bottle of whisky though.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well done, Protean! Nice Whisky. Bloke down the Folk Club had his 70th Birthday party last night, and got a bottle of Calvados. Chac'un à son gôut!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

150 bucks is far too much - however, great if You can keep it for Yourself somehow - my wife's a malt-drinker as well - the advantage is, she knows exactly which malts are real good stuff - but the disadvantage is, in the end I'll only get half of it... :love:
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

My birthday is many months away, but my wife or Santa put a bottle of Lagavulin 18 under the tree last year.
dwest

Post by dwest »

CHasR wrote:

Prices can vary wildly. Costco even carries it in some states so it's The MacallanKirkland 18. I'll stick with my 25 yr. old.
:pint: Great stuff for cooking.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

The 25yr is, ImhO, awfully overrated - esp. considering the price (got one for my Ordination).
Much too much cask, too little whiskytaste. The 18yr is a sure thing, always has been. The old 12yr, when they used Oloroso-Sherrycask exclusively, was already a good one - the new 12yr ("Eleganza") isn't half as good, and You can entirely forget about the "Fine Oak" or all the rubbish younger than 12yrs (I think, there's a 10yr on the US-market - or was it Japan? And an 8yr even in Italy - terrible! :o ). I used to looooove the old 15yr (of the Oloroso-cask period), but I'm afraid, it's not sold anymore. So, the 18 will be the best on the market right now, I guess...
Your wife has a very good taste - says something about You as well, I guess... ;-)
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

CHasR wrote:

For that much, I would want a much prettier bottle.

Funny story: My brother is a priest. He doesn't drink. Usually, his parishioners figure this out early in his assignments. Somehow at his last assignment (an Italian parish) they didn't catch on to this. He kept receiving bottles of wine and spirits and putting them on a shelf without even unwrapping them. He calls me up one day to say, "What should I do?" He guessed he had over 30 to 50 bottles of "stuff." I don't drink either and neither one of us knew an easy way to make that many bottles disappear. Then I asked him if his church had one of those raffle things where people make baskets. They did, so he made a nice basket to raffle off as his donation. He has no clue what he raffled off. One time he gave my wife a 2 pound box of Godiva chocolates that someone gave him. He is totally clueless about stuff.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦