I am going to Ireland! Tips, suggestions?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
bruno.s.velasco
antispam: No

I am going to Ireland! Tips, suggestions?

Post by bruno.s.velasco »

Hello guys!

After so many years dreaming about Ireland, I finally bought my flight tickets and I am arriving there on May 15th, where I will rent a car and ride as much as I can for 9 days.

Since I am kinda lost about what to do there, and I was told that you guys here are such friendly people, I decided to post this and kindly ask you for suggestions regarding:

- which places/cities I should definitely visit?
- which events I should attend?
- any session where I can join? :)
- any good website that answers all these questions?

Also, for those who live/have been there, I would like to hear from you some nice experiences! I am up to anything pretty much :D

Thanks, folks
Bruno Velasco
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: I am going to Ireland! Tips, suggestions?

Post by anniemcu »

Travel light! :)

Have a great time! I went last spring, but I didn't get to go where, or do what I wanted very much.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

- If You're interested most of all in Irish tradition, don't waste more that two days on Dublin - it's just another European capital, just a bit more stuffed, dirty and expensive. Most "traditional Irish"-stuff is really touristic. :evil: There's better stuff to be found on the outskirts... :)

- "Ireland is a boring picture with a beautifull frame" - that's true enough, so don't waste too much time away from the coast, except for visiting old monastries, castles et c. People are not very welcoming, rarely good music to be found :-?

- the "Ring of Kerry" is one big tourist-trap. :boggle: The peninsulas north and south of it are just as beautifull (if nor more!) and far less crowded. The only good thing about the Ring of Kerry are the boats leaving (only at good weather possible!) for Skellig Michael - which is an awsome experience! :)

- Cork is beautifull, great people as well. Great session-pubs are: - "An Spailpin fanach" (opposite Beamish-brewery), "Sin E" and "The Lobby". :pint: The coast of West-County Cork is stunning :)

- Achill Island is great, landscape and music... :)

- Galway is great, too! Maybe a bit overrun, but for music it's almost unbeatable. Daily (sometimes lunch- and afterwork as well) sessions in quite a lot of pubs in the centre. :party: The Burren and Connemara are close and absolutely worth a visit.

- Doolin and the cliffs of Moher are worth visiting, too, and You'll find great music. However, it's become veeery touristic and commercial... :(

- My personal favourite is Co. Donegal. :thumbsup: The climate may be a bit rougher than in the South, but it's still pretty original, not too many tourists there, and the coast belongs to the most beautifull landscapes worldwide (Sliabh League holds, with alltogether 600m, the highest cliffs of Europe! :shock: ). Glencolumbcille is the nicest little village imaginable - full of historic sights, adorable landscape, wonderfull people and great sessions! Take to the Youth-Hostle there - Mary, if she's still alive (must be well in her 80ies!) is one of the nicest old ladys I ever met - and also the person with the most frequent use of the F-word... :D
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Yep, I think the Pastor has nailed it.
Bring plenty of money it is a very expensive place at the best of times.

A few years back I helped an old Iraqi/Iranian type of guy out with a suitcase problem in Manchester Airport and he asked me where I was going. When I told him I was off to Dublin for a week he shook his head, looked around and advised me not to go. When I asked was there going to be an attack or something he said "No...it's just a total rip-off".

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I second the recommendation to go to Donegal. And as far as I know, Mary of the Dooey Hostel is still among the living, and still teaching Oideas Gael students all the off-color phrases they won't learn in class! And there's great tradtional music to be found in the pubs at night (though, sadly, one of the greatest Donegal fiddlers or all time, James Byrne, passed away recently).

I also recommend a visit to Derry.

Dublin has have things to offer the visitor as well. While the usual fare in the pubs is too touristy, I admit, the traditional music pub tour is well worth doing. It's led by traditional musicians and they give you all kinds of information about trad music in general and the (real) trad scene in Dublin.

Also, if you happen to be in the Dublin area more than one day, a trip down to Glendalough is a must...especially if you combine it with a drive through the Wicklow Gap. Breathtaking!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Celtpastor wrote:
- Doolin and the cliffs of Moher are worth visiting, too, and You'll find great music. However, it's become veeery touristic and commercial... :(

The Coaches of Moher
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I would stay in the South and East: Galway, Ennis, Kerry, Kinsale, Kenmare, Bantry. Those are some of my favorite places.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Galway? East?? :-? Yeah, when You look at it from the US... :love:

However - Glendalough IS beautifull (the Wicklows alltogether are). And if You're condemned to stay near Dublin, don't miss the legendary sessions in Dun Laoghaire :thumbsup:

Oh, and if You make it to the Arran-Islands, that'll be fun, too! Not too much to do during daytime - but the sessions will make it hard for You to get up before sunset next day anyway... :love:
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Don't leave out the North of Ireland.

Belfast has lovely buildings and a good few sessions. The Antrim coast and the Mountains of Mourne are lovely too. Plus it would likely be cheaper than the South :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
dwest

Post by dwest »

In Ireland there is no life east of dwest.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Celtpastor wrote:Galway? East?? :-? Yeah, when You look at it from the US... :love:

However - Glendalough IS beautifull (the Wicklows alltogether are). And if You're condemned to stay near Dublin, don't miss the legendary sessions in Dun Laoghaire :thumbsup:

Oh, and if You make it to the Arran-Islands, that'll be fun, too! Not too much to do during daytime - but the sessions will make it hard for You to get up before sunset next day anyway... :love:
You are right! I meant West. :lol: South and West Ireland. :lol:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner wrote:
Celtpastor wrote:

The Coaches of Moher
*snicker* :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
KNQuail

Post by KNQuail »

Redwolf wrote:Also, if you happen to be in the Dublin area more than one day, a trip down to Glendalough is a must...especially if you combine it with a drive through the Wicklow Gap. Breathtaking!

Redwolf
Glad to see that recommendation. I'm planning a trip to Ireland/UK sometime in the next year or two and Glendalough is on the top of my list of places to see. The travel book I'm reading has a bit on a 5 mile walk around the area that I'd really like to do.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

KNQuail wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Also, if you happen to be in the Dublin area more than one day, a trip down to Glendalough is a must...especially if you combine it with a drive through the Wicklow Gap. Breathtaking!

Redwolf
Glad to see that recommendation. I'm planning a trip to Ireland/UK sometime in the next year or two and Glendalough is on the top of my list of places to see. The travel book I'm reading has a bit on a 5 mile walk around the area that I'd really like to do.
I only walked as far as the upper lake, as I was with a tour bus and didn't want to risk getting left behind, but I could have happily spent the entire day there. Even with the rain pouring down at times, it was one of the loveliest places I've ever seen.

One caveat...it does seem to be very popular with French high school tour groups. I was very annoyed, at one point, by a large group of teenage boys and girls singing very loudly (and badly!) and horsing around. Then the blessed Irish rain came, for which I was dressed and they were not (once again, saved by my REI compact rain coat!), and they all ran for cover, leaving me to enjoy the sight of rain and mist moving across the lake. :D

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
bruno.s.velasco

Post by bruno.s.velasco »

Hi all!!

I just arrived from my trip in Ireland and I didn't have much time to reply back, sorry! I DID read everything (multiple times!) and tried to fit in my schedule. Many thanks for everybody who contributed :)

Now, about the trip I just have one thing to say: I want to live and die there!!
oh... Ireland... I miss it already!

My journey was: arrived in Dublin and stayed for 3 days (nice place, but 3 days is waste of time indeed), then went to Wicklow (Wicklow Gap - the second most beautiful sight I've ever seen!), Kildare (yeah.... the rounded tower is nice... and that's it), Galway (gosh! I saw 4 sessions at the same night! I want to live there). After Galway, I took a ferry in Doolin to get to Inisheer Island (I rented a bike there and rode almost the whole island - amazing) and also to get the Cliffs of Moher seen from the sea (love it!). Then I went to Dingle.

In Dingle, I drove through that road at west, which is the most beautiful sight I've seen!! There, I saw something that I really wanted to see: a black sheep! hahaha. It was awesome. It was like "wow, they do exist!" I know, silly from my part...
Then I went to Cork city, but just stayed half day and left to Kilkenny - medieval place as they say. I liked to see all the castles and ancient builds over there.

On total, I drove 1120km, making a "half circle" path. The best places for me were Wicklow Gap, the east cost of Wicklow (unfortunately I don't remember the place name. I know there is a port there and lots of stones and small cliffs), Kilkenny, Dingle and Galway.

Hope I can do this trip again, heading North this time :)

Thanks again for ALL of you!

Cheers
Bruno Velasco