A Moral Decision Regarding Food

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Moral Decision Regarding Food

Post by peeplj »

Thought the realization was slow in coming, it has finally dawned on me that:

--plants cannot express whether or not they are in pain

--plants can't run away

--plants can't fight back

--plants are often raised for the explicit purpose of being consumed

--it is not known whether cooking a plant is painful to the plant

I have decided that eating plants is immoral. We should eat animals: they can run away, they can fight back, they can express when they are in pain.

Just kidding. I love a good salad. :D

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: A Moral Decision Regarding Food

Post by FJohnSharp »

You could become a 'carnivoregan'--where you eat only animals that eat animals that eat animals. You must be three levels removed from eating plants.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

There's no such thing as a good salad, only good dressing.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

chrisoff wrote:There's no such thing as a good salad, only good dressing.
ah, I see you havent tried deep-fried salad yet! :P
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I remember seeing something from a comedian (don't remember who):

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

CHasR wrote: ah, I see you havent tried deep-fried salad yet! :P
On the contrary, tempura is great! But I would class coating veg in batter and frying it as dressing. It's certainly not plain.

(my first reaction here was to make a joke about the Scottish diet and deep fried mars bars)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

chrisoff wrote:There's no such thing as a good salad, only good dressing.
Precisely. The salad is simply the medium for dressing consumption. It allows you to eat your dressing with a fork.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

rebl_rn wrote:I remember seeing something from a comedian (don't remember who):

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."
:lol: :lol: That is a good one.

I don't like salad dressing though, for it is just too much for me. I might use some lemon though as a dressing every now and then.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

rebl_rn wrote:I remember seeing something from a comedian (don't remember who):

My brother used to claim it is more moral to eat beef than yogurt. One cow could feed him for a long time, but with each bite of yogurt he killed millions of living individuals. :lol:
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
dwest

Post by dwest »

The destruction of chloroplasts is a crime against all living things, that's why I eat herbivores or anything else that has eyes on the sides of their head.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

dwest wrote:that's why I eat herbivores or anything else that has eyes on the sides of their head.
Zoiks!

My eyes face front, however. So I hope I'm safe.

Here in the Eden of Year-Round Fresh Produce, one can assemble a delicious salad of bitter and sweet greens, spicy peppers, various veggies, delicious radishes, and so on, so that all you need is little olive oil and vinegar, maybe for dressing; it'd be a travesty to cover up the taste of all those fresh veggies by smothering them with "Bleu Cheese Dressing". But having been served what passes for "salad" in the benighted lands of the American south and midwest (and Scotland), I can see why there's so much blatant wrongheadedness on display here. Wilted iceberg lettuce and factory-grown, mushy tomatoes, indeed . . . You poor people.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I fully appreciate the logic of James' OP. However, to level the playing field, we should only eat the meat of animals killed in physical combat by men armed only with crude knives and wearing loincloths. Or killed by women. Dressed in loincloths. And looking like Raquel Welch in 1,000,000 B.C.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

herbivore12 wrote:But having been served what passes for "salad" in the benighted lands of the American south and midwest (and Scotland), I can see why there's so much blatant wrongheadedness on display here. Wilted iceberg lettuce and factory-grown, mushy tomatoes, indeed . . . You poor people.
Save your pity. We Yank Midwesterners, at least, have the glory that is lime Jell-O salad, with shredded carrots and cottage cheese.

Looks yummy in its confettied pastel-ness, dunnit. If you're itchin' to get all Food Network hoity-toity, you rice* cream cheese into it instead, maybe throw in some shredded cabbage or canned mandarin orange segments.

AND it's gelatin. Like, from animals.

*Like Alton Brown, sage cooking force that he is, I for one feel that kitchen utensils that mutitask are far better for The Kitchen Uncluttered, so a colander or sieve can do the same job as a ricer. You just squish the cream cheese thru your colander or sieve, and Bob's yer uncle. You can't drain spaghetti in a ricer without being laughed at. Do the math. But, if you just like More Stuff, buy your ricer and God bless you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Dale wrote:I fully appreciate the logic of James' OP. However, to level the playing field, we should only eat the meat of animals killed in physical combat by men armed only with crude knives and wearing loincloths. Or killed by women. Dressed in loincloths. And looking like Raquel Welsh in 1,000,000 B.C.
I'm sorry Dale. I'm afraid I can't do that.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Nanohedron wrote: Save your pity. We Midwesterners, at least, have the glory that is lime Jell-O salad, with shredded carrots and cottage cheese.

That thing scares me.*

I think this is what happens when you don't have enough to do in the winter.

*My mother tells me that when I was an infant she put a plate of jell-o in front of me, and when it commenced to jiggling, I fell out of my high-chair in fright. I've hated the stuff forever.