St. John's Newfoundland?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: St. John's Newfoundland?

Post by djm »

Way cool vids, Seand. Thx.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Seand

Post by Seand »

Sorta makes you wanna visit, what?

Sean
And it's whispered that soon
If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason

Stairway to Heaven (Page and Plant, 1971)
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Lambchop wrote:
Seand wrote:snow from November to March. The winters are not cold - <snip>. Right now the icebergs are making their way down the coast -
This doesn't seem at all . . . incongruous . . to you, does it?
For temperature extremes, you need to be farther from water. Much farther. On a penninsula on an island in the northwest atlantic, you can get lots of cool, wet and slammy, but not so much deep freeze. However, given the wet, you get full value of such cold as there is!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Interesting videos. I know that being too close to an iceberg that rolls is dangerous, but can the wave caused by a landslide down the side of one get big enough to swamp an open boat?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Seand

Post by Seand »

s1m0n wrote:Interesting videos. I know that being too close to an iceberg that rolls is dangerous, but can the wave caused by a landslide down the side of one get big enough to swamp an open boat?
I'm guessing that, sure, if the chunk was big enough. I don't think this one is big enough for that. The people videoing this truly are experts. They run a boat tour and diving outfit - some extreme diving too. I would trust Rick Stanley to know what he's doing. I have a 20 foot wooden dory with a motor but I'll never venture out with icebergs - whales, yes, but icebergs, no!!
If we all call the tune

djm

Post by djm »

Seand wrote:Sorta makes you wanna visit, what?
Makes me sorta want to have an income so I could afford to travel there for a visit. Maybe when I win the lottery ... :wink:

djm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

dwest wrote:Read "The Shipping News" before you make up your mind, nothing but a bunch of wreckers oop in Newfoundland. :twisted: Aargh!

One of my favourite novels ..ever.

I adore her prose, her writing,,and her wit.
I have read it about six or seven times and every time...I have to step back and save the last paragraph for the next time....the last sentence is perfect..but ye gotta read the book first.

The lovely Annie also wrote a few short storys...Brokeback Mountain, being one of them.

I'll not hear a word against Annie...a fine writer.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

dubhlinn wrote:I'll not hear a word against Annie...a fine writer.
Perhaps if she'd set it in Maine ... with a bunch of gay cowboys in boats ...

djm
Seand

Post by Seand »

dubhlinn wrote:
dwest wrote:Read "The Shipping News" before you make up your mind, nothing but a bunch of wreckers oop in Newfoundland. :twisted: Aargh!

One of my favourite novels ..ever.

I adore her prose, her writing,,and her wit.
I have read it about six or seven times and every time...I have to step back and save the last paragraph for the next time....the last sentence is perfect..but ye gotta read the book first.

The lovely Annie also wrote a few short storys...Brokeback Mountain, being one of them.

I'll not hear a word against Annie...a fine writer.

Slan,
D. :)
No worries - I'm not dissing Annie and her writing abilities. I just don't agree with her portrayal of the fine Newfoundland people/culture. One of the big beefs NLers have against her is that she is a CFA (come from away) trying to tell a story in NL about NLers while trying to capture their culture and language. NL language is hard to nail down unless you really know it and for someone not used to it and trying to fudge it using stereotypes just won't cut it with people from NL. I'm guessing this happens a lot times when people from outside a culture try to write a story that accurately captures that culture - it's hard to do unless you totally immerse yourself!

The moral of the story is enjoy the book as a well written work of fiction but don't use it as accurate picture of NL and its people/culture/language.

Cheers,
Sean
If we all call the tune

intrepidduckling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by intrepidduckling »

I know it's a tough line to walk. My good friend is a writer, and has a propensity for creating a rather dark (fictional) northern New England town with the same name as my NH hometown, and calls me on occasion to check things for N.N.E. cred, which puts me in the odd position of trying to quantify things I see and hear, but might not live myself (Moving from the midwest at the ripe age of 5, I don't have an accent. I can say that the accent is...different than in MA, but how precisely?). I like that she uses rural New England, but it will never be quite perfect. I imagine it's even harder in Newfoundland!

Also, random linguistic curiosity...you say people are from 'away' too? It's a common saying in my current home in Maine (and I sort of assumed it was a Maine-only expression), but never in New Hampshire. I wonder where one demarcates the 'away' line...
Seand

Post by Seand »

The acronym CFA is very commonly used in NL and has its place in our lexicon. People not born on the island are often referred to simply as CFAs. Being an island, our demarcation line is quite distinguishable, i.e., anybody not from the island. "Mainlander" is another, somewhat, derogatory term used to denote anybody from the rest of Canada.
If we all call the tune

herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

intrepidduckling wrote:
Also, random linguistic curiosity...you say people are from 'away' too? It's a common saying in my current home in Maine (and I sort of assumed it was a Maine-only expression), but never in New Hampshire. I wonder where one demarcates the 'away' line...
"From away...!"

In college and a while thereafter, I dated a woman who hailed from a small town in Maine. I remember my first visit there one Christmas, when I was introduced to just about everyone who visited thus, "This is Jana's boyfriend -- he's from away." Made me feel like I'd just landed from Mars or something. (I was also a little weirded out that I'd walk into a small shop or market alone, and as I was checking out the shopkeep would sort of look me up and down and then say, "Must be Jana's boyfriend, heard you were here for Christmas..." This was not the sort of thing that happened in the San Francisco Bay Area...)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Seand wrote:
The moral of the story is enjoy the book as a well written work of fiction but don't use it as accurate picture of NL and its people/culture/language.

Cheers,
Sean
A very valid point.

I have met people from various countrys who were looking for Joyces Dublin...

I hadn't really got the heart to tell them it was all around them...geographically and physically...

but.....times change...

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats